Life WITHOUT MyFitnessPal ... Can we do it?

Options

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I need to use MFP for life. In the past when I have done other programs like Weight Watchers, the minute I stopped I gained all the weight back. I need this for the accountability and support.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood the characterization of using MFP as a "crutch" or something I need to wean myself off of. If and when it stops being useful, I'll likely stop using it.

MFP is just a tool. It provides me information, laughter, an ability to track calories and a connection with people all over the world. Since using MFP for awhile now, I have noticed the way my body responds to calories, and I can guess pretty accurately how many calories I've consumed based on when I start feeling hungry again. I also know the calorie range that I like to eat.

I could probably get by without a speedometer in my car. I can usually judge about how fast I'm going. But I'm not getting rid of the speedo (or the banana hammock). It's information that may be useful. I know some people may get obsessive and/or spend too much time on MFP. I take breaks occasionally. But there is a huge social component for me. I can't imagine not being in contact with some of my MFP friends for a long period of time. And I know I've rubbed off on some of them.

Agree. With ALLL of it.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Lemmy is God, and MFP is Life
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think I might just to maintain and track my calories. I need a way to keep track of where I am at throughout the day so I can maintain. I have a fitbit so I will have a good estimate of how many calories I have burned in that day that I can eat. It would be helpful but I wouldn't be so obsessed like using a scale as much anymore to weigh my food.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The logging part takes me 1 minute each day.

The socializing part, weeeellll that's a different story...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this too - not yet, obviously, but at some point.

Research suggests its way easier to lose than to keep it off and that most people who successfully keep it off essentially keep counting calories forever.

But I can't imagine doing it with this intensity for years. WHEN I hit my goals, I am planning on logging everything one week a month to see if I am still maintaining my good habits. And as soon as I gain two pounds, going back to full time logging until I'm back on track.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a pretty good handle on things. I lost weight before MFP and I'm certain I can maintain without it. However, MFP has become that little shoulder angel who whispers in my ear just before I do something I'm going to regret. I for one do not want to live in a world without MFP.

But like he says.
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 2 months, and I already notice a gigantic change in my awareness of what I eat. My biggest problem has ALWAYS been portion control...and a completely irrational love of fast food. After only 2 months, I find myself looking at serving sizes on labels and really thinking about how much food I put on my plate. I understand the things that have higher fat content and when I indulge, I compromise by lightening up my other meals that day. To be able to do this after 2 months is a huge deal for me. Do I see myself logging on everyday for the rest of my life? No, probably only until I hit my weight loss goal. But I do see myself hanging on to the changes I've learned through this site for a lifetime. I know before I even log my food whether I'm over or under for the day. Hell, sometimes I know as soon as I wake up in the morning that I'm going to go over due to some craving or other. While I'm not really into exercising (maybe that will change as I continue to drop pounds) this site has truly helped me to see how and why I eat food. I am much more aware of the different types of hunger pangs I get, how late I eat, and how a little nibble goes a long way to satisfy a craving. I hope that you have experienced similar changes and can apply them to your life without logging onto MFP everyday. But hey, if logging is what you need to stay on the bandwagon, then log away!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging for 3 months and didn't walk as much and gained back 6 lbs. I am sticking around here...
  • 170isthin
    170isthin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'll be here for the long haul!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a pretty good handle on things. I lost weight before MFP and I'm certain I can maintain without it. However, MFP has become that little shoulder angel who whispers in my ear just before I do something I'm going to regret. I for one do not want to live in a world without MFP.

But like he says.
    I subscribe to the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If I've had success with something, why in the world would I want to change things? Plus, I'm not sure why the OP feels like he is constantly logging all day. I have MFP on my phone. It only takes a few minutes for me to log each meal.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Of course we can! It's just a tool to show us which foods are healthier for us so we can make better decisions when it comes to choosing meals and portion control. We SO GOT THIS!!!
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options
    But I would really miss all the friends I've made here. Encouragement is key and I don't have a lot of friends in real life, so I've taken every ounce of advice I've gotten here and put it to use. I am so greatful for all the connections I've made and for people here being so amazing and genuine and helpful. I can't say enough.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to use myfitnesspal long term? Do you have plans to eventually wean yourself off? Do you have faith/confidence in yourself to live a healthy life without it?

I plan to track/log long term, yes. Whether it be with MFP or some other way (paper and pen work for me too) I will continue to track my food and exercise long into the future. Why? Because tracking helped me lose the weight. Tracking helped me keep the weight off. Why change what works? :flowerforyou:
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Mfp For 4 years :D I don't mind the logging in and stuff its fun :)

Wow 4 yrs Congrats !!! I've signed up nov 2010 but didn't start using it till Sept 22 2011
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    But I would really miss all the friends I've made here. Encouragement is key and I don't have a lot of friends in real life, so I've taken every ounce of advice I've gotten here and put it to use. I am so greatful for all the connections I've made and for people here being so amazing and genuine and helpful. I can't say enough.

Yep I've met some gr8 ppl that are sooo positive and encouraging and even when I reach my goal I'll be there to encourage my friends who haven't reached their goal
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Of course I hope to be able to eat right without logging. I'm learning and so far this site has been a great motivator, so I'll probably stick with it until I reach my goal weight.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options
    Oh man... 170isthin... your profile pic of the fudge is making my mouth water. lol
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel if you have the drive and determination to reach your weight loss goal then you can do it without this app/site, here they (app/site) just aids you in understanding your journey through weight loss and the actual caloric intake as well as the calories roughly burned during exercise so you can reach your goal in the time you want to reach it.;
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I think in the future, I'll be using the app just to log my weight and check the calorie count for certain foods.