Machines vs. weights

Does it matter which ones i use? I've heard that using free weights is better because then you use more muscles at one time (as opposed to machines which only target one muscle at a time). However, if my form is bad when i use free weights (since I don't have a personal trainer and just learning these exercises on my own), should I stick with machines so make sure I don't injure myself with bad form? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Nope stick with free weights & keep the weight low till you are sure of your form, Youtube form videos :)

Russ
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Some machines are actually more likely to cause injuries, as compared to using free weights with proper form (squats and/or bench presses in a Smith Machine, for example). Best thing to do is just go straight for the free weights, and spend some time learning to do it properly. The book "Starting Strength" has extremely detailed explanations of what's happening during almost every lift you'd ever need to learn, along with plenty of mental cues to help you learn to perform them properly.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    mix it up if you like.

i personally prefer free weights because you get more workout in since you're using multiple groups at once. machines are good for isolating, but keep in mind that you'll be able to use more weight on a machine than you would on the free weight version since the machine is helping support you.

for instance i normally do my squats in the squat rack, but yesterday i decided to use the leg press. i was able to press twice the amount i squat, but the trade off is that i dont get the same core work and upper body work that you'd need to keep the bar balanced on your back
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Free weights whenever possible.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    I would say, firstly it depends on the equipment in your gym. In my gym, the DB's go to 30k making 60k, heaviest barbell is 35kg. Not much to really blast strength or build huge pecs and traps.

The fixed machines allow me to add weight and therefore stength but that said I do not like fixed machines (my shoulders do not operate symetrically for the fixed action of machines), but they do have a place.

The cable machine to me is the life blood of a workout, no cable machine then go for latex cables of a high quality (or step up to the TRX type trainers) . With these pieces of equipment I can enhance body weight moves (I am still not strong enough to do pull ups for my bodyweight) but I can now do the single leg pistols with assist from the cables which is very cool. Well to me it is very cool.

In your profile you would like to run a marathon, consider body weight circuits with lighter weights rather than just 'pumping iron' - maximise heart rate and recovery whilst creating anaerobic response in muscles. Or look up full body cable workouts - full body cable machine workouts most of the top Youtube return are decent trainers with good knowledge not wannabes and to see where you can go with workouts, search Functional Patterns.
  • yeremeyeva
    yeremeyeva Posts: 46
    Nope stick with free weights & keep the weight low till you are sure of your form, Youtube form videos :)

Russ

That's a great suggestion about keeping the weight low. Thanks!
  • yeremeyeva
    I would say, firstly it depends on the equipment in your gym. In my gym, the DB's go to 30k making 60k, heaviest barbell is 35kg. Not much to really blast strength or build huge pecs and traps.

The fixed machines allow me to add weight and therefore stength but that said I do not like fixed machines (my shoulders do not operate symetrically for the fixed action of machines), but they do have a place.

The cable machine to me is the life blood of a workout, no cable machine then go for latex cables of a high quality (or step up to the TRX type trainers) . With these pieces of equipment I can enhance body weight moves (I am still not strong enough to do pull ups for my bodyweight) but I can now do the single leg pistols with assist from the cables which is very cool. Well to me it is very cool.

In your profile you would like to run a marathon, consider body weight circuits with lighter weights rather than just 'pumping iron' - maximise heart rate and recovery whilst creating anaerobic response in muscles. Or look up full body cable workouts - full body cable machine workouts most of the top Youtube return are decent trainers with good knowledge not wannabes and to see where you can go with workouts, search Functional Patterns.

I got to LA fitness, they have a pretty good mix of free weights I think. There is another thing - pretty much everyone who is doing free weights is A GUY. Any time I go and do free weights many of them are looking at me and it makes me wonder if I am not doing it right. Or maybe they think that I shouldn't be doing free weights since it's mostly guys over there? i don't know. I am not a guy so I can't really tell what they think. I also know I shouldn't care what anyone thinks when it comes to my fitness, but when you are a girl in the free weights area you pretty much do stand out. And I do circuit training, but I want to incorporate lifting weights at least once or twice a week.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    free weights.

machines put you in a fixed range of motion that can be unsafe. plus the free weights are going to work your stabilizers.

I use 0 machines in my training. The only ones I can see being useful are a lat pulldown, cable row, reverse hyper, and a GHR (not really a machine per se)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    You forgot bodyweight exercises which are great all around as well.

But I would agree with Russ. Go free weights and keep the weight low and work on form. Only increase weight once your form is dialed in
  • yeremeyeva
    Since I am on the topic of free weights I might as well ask. Are there any unpoken rules or etiquette that everyone knows when they use free weights area and I don't? I am going to start learing the proper form & plan to use free weight area but I want to feel at least a little bit more comfortable before I do that. Thanks for everyones' responses - seems that only guys think free weights are best except one girl. haha. It's probably because they are also intimidated just like me. Do guys care if girls use free weights? or do they think girls just get in the way? or does it depends? Free weights seem to be different because you use the same space whereas on the machines only one person at a time can use it. So you don't really get into people's way..
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Since I am on the topic of free weights I might as well ask. Are there any unpoken rules or etiquette that everyone knows when they use free weights area and I don't? I am going to start learing the proper form & plan to use free weight area but I want to feel at least a little bit more comfortable before I do that. Thanks for everyones' responses - seems that only guys think free weights are best except one girl. haha. It's probably because they are also intimidated just like me. Do guys care if girls use free weights? or do they think girls just get in the way? or does it depends? Free weights seem to be different because you use the same space whereas on the machines only one person at a time can use it. So you don't really get into people's way..

Women lifting weights are hot. Sorry if I stare too much. :laugh:
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374

I got to LA fitness, they have a pretty good mix of free weights I think. There is another thing - pretty much everyone who is doing free weights is A GUY. Any time I go and do free weights many of them are looking at me and it makes me wonder if I am not doing it right. Or maybe they think that I shouldn't be doing free weights since it's mostly guys over there? i don't know. I am not a guy so I can't really tell what they think. I also know I shouldn't care what anyone thinks when it comes to my fitness, but when you are a girl in the free weights area you pretty much do stand out. And I do circuit training, but I want to incorporate lifting weights at least once or twice a week.

Then find the cable machines and do not look at the nasty men. However, in all seriousness if you are talking about the BIG LIFTS

Squat
    Deadlift
    Rows
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press - then paying a trainer to guide you is cheaper in the long run than injury. Looking at form guides online or in books just really does not tell you about for example hip movement in a squat.

(You can do all these lifts on a cable machine and cables work more stabilisers, core muscles, synergists etc because the cable is antagonistic whereas free weights it is force versus gravity)

If you are doing those lifts correctly, no one in the free weight section is going to look at you funny. Only in awe that someone has great form. BTW - I find that 95% of people are happy to advise if asked, but will not offer guidance on another persons form freely (well, I would if it was very dangerously bad form). The only problem is if that person guides you incorrectly then you only compound their errors.

And other etiquette issues - I have found that people do not care what you are doing, they are caring for themsleves. They may look unfriendly but they probably are not and the angry look is being in the zone. If someone is working, do not interrupt. If they are resting, they may welcome a chat and the chance to help a beginner. Everyone in weights was a beginner once, we know and appreciate that free weights can seem intimidating.

Just don't get into free weights and find that your face and jaw muscles are getting the most exercise.
  • yeremeyeva

Then find the cable machines and do not look at the nasty men. However, in all seriousness if you are talking about the BIG LIFTS

Squat
    Deadlift
    Rows
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press - then paying a trainer to guide you is cheaper in the long run than injury. Looking at form guides online or in books just really does not tell you about for example hip movement in a squat.

(You can do all these lifts on a cable machine and cables work more stabilisers, core muscles, synergists etc because the cable is antagonistic whereas free weights it is force versus gravity)

If you are doing those lifts correctly, no one in the free weight section is going to look at you funny. Only in awe that someone has great form. BTW - I find that 95% of people are happy to advise if asked, but will not offer guidance on another persons form freely (well, I would if it was very dangerously bad form). The only problem is if that person guides you incorrectly then you only compound their errors.

And other etiquette issues - I have found that people do not care what you are doing, they are caring for themsleves. They may look unfriendly but they probably are not and the angry look is being in the zone. If someone is working, do not interrupt. If they are resting, they may welcome a chat and the chance to help a beginner. Everyone in weights was a beginner once, we know and appreciate that free weights can seem intimidating.

Just don't get into free weights and find that your face and jaw muscles are getting the most exercise.

This is great information. Thank you again for responding. I will do exactly that - learn good form & maybe concentrate on 3-4 exercises at a time & then do them until I am confident.