Gun Sales in Colorado Rise 43% After Theater Shooting

Options
Fatal1ty2k5
Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/24/background-checks-for-guns-in-colorado-reportedly-jump-41-percent-since-movie/

Colorado gun stores are seeing a big jump in demand for firearms since last Friday's massacre at a midnight movie showing in Aurora.

Background checks for people wanting to buy guns in Colorado reportedly increased more than 41 percent after last week’s Aurora movie massacre. The Denver Post reports that firearm instructors have also seen increased interest in training needed for a concealed-carry permit.

"It's been insane," Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker told the newspaper Monday.

Between Friday and Sunday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm — a 43 percent increase over the previous Friday through Sunday and a 39 percent jump over those same days on the first weekend of July.

The biggest spike was on Friday, when there were 1,216 checks, a 43 percent increase over the average number for the previous two Fridays.

On Friday morning, just hours after alleged 24-year-old gunman James Holmes killed 12 and injured 58 others at the Century Aurora theater, up to 20 people were already waiting outside the store when Meyers arrived, he said.

He said the day was “probably the busiest Monday all year” and said basic firearms classes that he and the store’s owner conduct are booked for the next three weeks — a first for this year, the newspaper reports.

"A lot of it is people saying, 'I didn't think I needed a gun, but now I do,' " he told the newspaper. "When it happens in your backyard, people start reassessing — 'Hey, I go to the movies.'"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/24/background-checks-for-guns-in-colorado-reportedly-jump-41-percent-since-movie/#ixzz21ZZxMamh

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Here’a a list of links to positive stories that were a result of being able to legally purchase assault weapons:

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Options
    Here’a a list of links to positive stories that were a result of being able to legally purchase assault weapons:

Cheers.
    -wtk

Whats a assult weapon?

He had a semi automatic rifle
  • bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    Whats a assult weapon?

I think we can infer from "assault weapon", the OP is referring to a weapon that is not intended to defend your home from an intruder, nor kill an animal for consumption or in defense. He's talking about a weapon designed to inflict maximum damage on a grand scale, whatever the specific term for that may be.

Since you're hellbent on fixing errors in semantics, I'll fix your grammar errors:

You need an apostrophe in 'What's'.
    You spelled 'assault' incorrectly.
    You should have used 'an' instead of 'a'.
    And finally, 'semi automatic' needs a hyphen.

Can't pass third grade English, but boy howdy will we give you a permit to bear arms.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Awesome. More people should be armed. Unfortunately it usually takes tragedies to wake people up. Many who were on the fence are now buying.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Whats a assult weapon?

I think we can infer from "assault weapon", the OP is referring to a weapon that is not intended to defend your home from an intruder, nor kill an animal for consumption or in defense. He's talking about a weapon designed to inflict maximum damage on a grand scale, whatever the specific term for that may be..

There is little difference between a ranch hand mini14 and an ar15. Mini14 is marketed as a hunting rifle. The differences are almost completely aesthetics. Both are high power semi auto 5.56 rifles capable of holding high capacity magazines.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Options
    Whats a assult weapon?

I think we can infer from "assault weapon", the OP is referring to a weapon that is not intended to defend your home from an intruder, nor kill an animal for consumption or in defense. He's talking about a weapon designed to inflict maximum damage on a grand scale, whatever the specific term for that may be.

Since you're hellbent on fixing errors in semantics, I'll fix your grammar errors:

You need an apostrophe in 'What's'.
    You spelled 'assault' incorrectly.
    You should have used 'an' instead of 'a'.
    And finally, 'semi automatic' needs a hyphen.

Can't pass third grade English, but boy howdy will we give you a permit to bear arms.

Pretty sure that was a female but whatever Cpt internet grammar.

How is a ar15 or any other rifle not to be used for defense of your home but instead only purpose is to inflict "maximum damage on a grand scale"

Me personally if I wanted to inflict maximum damage I would go with a bigger round than 5.56. I would be looking at 7.62
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I would never use an AR-15 for home defense, too much of a chance for over penetration through walls.

5.56mm is a wounding cartridge, made to inflict damage, but not necessarily kill the target. Example: you wound a combatant, it takes one or 2 more soldiers to remove them from the battlefield for medical attention. Now a 7.62mm, .30 cal or larger is made for destruction of the target, that why they make better hunting loads.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't need a permit to own a gun, but I do have a permit to carry my gun concealed about my person and I promise you I do wherever it's legal to do so. BTW the reason I have a so called "assault weapon" is for the reason the founding fathers' intended when writing the second amendment...to protect myself from an out of control government, not hunting or self defense.