What is considered GOOD mile time?

Options

Replies

• QueenGorgo
    QueenGorgo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Any mile I complete and remain conscious, am not in need of medical attention and have not thrown up my breakfast is a successfull mile in my book!
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I bet you could do 8 or 9
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That depends on a lot of different factors. For women a 'good' mile time is decidedly slower than what it would be for men. I run a comfortable mile at roughly 9-9:30 minutes. Because I'm both naturally slow and have shoddy knees, my all-out mile comes out to 8 minutes on a good day. I'm the slowest girl in my unit by quite a bit and I have a lot of trouble keeping up with formation runs. In that context my mile pace is terrible, but outside of that particular circle it's somewhat fast. It's all subjective.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Any mile I complete and remain conscious, am not in need of medical attention and have not thrown up my breakfast is a successfull mile in my book!

yeah, this!
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    my favorite quote of all time about running:

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Running is you vs you, go as fast as you need to to feel successful and to beat down that little voice
  • Mellow_out
    Options
    A "good" mile time is going to be diffrent for everyone. Just throwing out an answer like 8-10 minutes wouldn't do you any good because it will vary from person to person. My advice would be to run a mile and say it takes you 10:30, try and get it down to 10:00 next time you run. The goal is to have your mile time be lower than the last time you ran.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Whatever was better than your previous mile times. Seriously, you only need to outdo yourself (well, unless you are training for the Olympics).

^^This
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    dont really think it matters, a mile is a mile to me. i go for distance over speed. typically for me i do a mile in 10-12 minutes depending on how i feel that day
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Running is you vs you, go as fast as you need to to feel successful and to beat down that little voice

Love this! That little voice and I duke it out all the time!
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter you're still lapping everyone on the couch! lol But it's more about the calories you're burning rather than speed.

Well said!!
    if you finish a mile youve done something good...
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible runner. Until a couple months ago I could never complete an etire mile jogging/running without walking at some point and I have been trying since I was in grade school (35 now). I have been working out almost everyday for over a year and I can complete 90 minute tae bo workouts LOL! But 2 months ago I ran 2 miles in 21 minutes. I called everyone I knew and told them!!!! They all just laughed at me! If you can run a mile - AWESOME!!!!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    "GOOD" is all relative, unless you hold the current world record. (For women, I think it stands at 4:12 right now... someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

Just remember that people run different paces for different reasons. If you're talking mile time as in a comfortable training pace vs. going all out, you'll get varying answers.

People with no athletic background or ability can start anywhere from 13-20 minute miles... when you first start off you'll see HUGE improvements in your pace. As you get faster, it gets harder to improve by mere seconds.

When I first started out I was probably running 12-13 minute miles for a few years, then I decided to try to improve and have shaved off race times by quite a bit. I haven't run a mile full out in a while now, but I think I can clock it in the low to mid 7 minute range.For comfortable training and long runs, I run 10 minute miles... for other workouts and races I'm in the 8-9 minute mile range.

Elite runners who can clock a marathon in less than 2:30 run in the 5+ minute mile range, but might train at 6 or even 7 minute miles... (psssh, child's play! :laugh: )
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Anything faster than your previous mile time....
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    OMG, I thought 11min mile was good.

Now I see 6 to 7 minute miles posted here. I feel slow.

I guess I was just jogging, not running.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i can only run for 45 seconds at 6mph before i get light headed and feel like i cant breathe :o(
    am hoping as i lose weight i'll have less pressure on my chest - arthritis in hip and knee doesnt help but i'll keep pushing
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    However long it takes you to complete it, is a good time. Then you can build on that. Try to beat your previous time. even if it's by a few seconds.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you can make! Just aim for running longer. Your time will decrease with stamina.
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most Police training around here require you to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, which is an 8 minute mile.
    I have heard that an 8 minute mile referred to as the "benchmark" of fitness.
    I do agree with others, it comes down to you, your goals and ability. For me, I am happy to improve.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    http://www.apft-standards.com/run-female.html

thats the army standard for 2 miles for women...

Thanks for this...interesting stuff. Not planning on joining the military anytime soon but it could be neat to see what "grade" one might get.