Protein

Options
DreeDub
DreeDub Posts: 289 Member
I've been noticing this week that I am using up most of my protein "allowance" between breakfast and lunch...for example, I have a protein shake w/ milk for breakfast and deli turkey and string cheese for lunch.

Is it ok if I go over on protein? Last night I did go over because for dinner i had veggies and chicken breast in a stir fry.

I want to make sure I'm doing this right....I know protein is good but am I getting the "right" proteins?

Replies

• plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this same subject because I have started drinking protein shakes also!
  • jonathanmcurry
    Options
    Going over on protein is no big deal. Especially if the majority of your protein is coming from food vs powder form. Protein will keep you full longer and takes more from your body to be able to digest meaning you burn more calories to digest protein than other nutrients. Good luck with your weight loss journey. I'm down to about 10 lbs left to lose and it's a slow process, so don't get frustrated if you don't see results that quickly.

*I'm usually at least 2 or 3 times what MFP says my protein allotment is from the day. But I'm trying to build more muscle and you're supposed to eat your body weight in grams of protein (150 lbs = 150 g of protein per day). I've never gotten around to changing the MFP ratios.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protien allowence (almost double). Protien keeps you full, so anything that is going to keep me full is alright with me! lol. I think that most people here will tell you that they too go over on their protien.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    There's no danger going over protein by a little, say 20-30g a day. Your kidneys will flush it out. As a cautionary note, don't exceed by too much, say 70-100g or more per day, as this could put stress on your kidneys. Whilst a healthy person should be able to cope, anyone with impaired renal function must be careful and speak to your GP or health professional.
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Remember to drink plenty of water, it helps with the digestion of protein and disposing of what isn't needed.