What's the *secret* to chopping onions W/O crying/dying?

Options
I've watched one Food Network celebrity after another- and never once do I see them wincing like I do
when they're slicing or chopping an onion...........

What's the *secret*???? Someone PLEASE share.
I ♥ onions but I don't like the burning eyes from it- no matter how gently I try to slice 'em, they slay me.

Replies

• sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hmmm I wonder is they are wearing contacts....like you never know if someone is or not. In my contacts onions dont bother me at all...w/o them...Im buring and crying and tryin to wipe my eyes with paper towels and everything~~ lol
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wear safety goggles.
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I put my cutting board under my microwave and turn the exhaust fan on - this wisps the gasses away before they reach my eyes. I've also heard chewing gum works but I don't normally have gum.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my dad told me to hold a piece of white bread in my mouth.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. It works for me. :-)
  • MzLisa25
    MzLisa25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    put the onion in the freezer for 20 minutes. it doesn't freeze it to a point where it's solid like a rock but does help
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I don't like them...so I don't chop them!

YAY!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

The reason this works, is because your mouth is closed...which is the real trick. You can breathe through your nose...but in some cases that will still bring tears.

I just breathe a bit shallowly, and make sure my lips are closed. No tears for years now :).
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Light a pack of matches on fire, blow them out and set them down in front of you while chopping. No crying, guaranteed =)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There is a way to cut it that doesn't make you cry. I learned it in culinary school and I never cry when cutting onions. I have no clue how to describe it to you over the internet, though...

Edited to add: Found a video describing what I mean. At work, so I don't know what the person is saying but after watching it, that's the technique I was refering to..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6iAAbA_RT0
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I stick them in the freezer for about 15 mins before cutting them. Holds the tears off.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a certain way to cut the onion. But, we just wear goggles when cutting because I can't remember the cutting method. :smile:
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Cut the ends of the onion off and then cut it in half and put it in a glass of water for a couple minutes. This will help get rid of the liquid that oozes out when it's freshly cut which is what causes the irritating vapors. It will also help with onions that are too overbearingly strong in flavor.
  • _Wits_
    Options
    lol yeah what others said...and I just googled it for S&G's...few more suggestions in there.

My favorite...wearing a snorkel mask.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Man up/chop faster
  • _Wits_
    Options

The reason this works, is because your mouth is closed...which is the real trick. You can breathe through your nose...but in some cases that will still bring tears.

I just breathe a bit shallowly, and make sure my lips are closed. No tears for years now :).

...wouldn't that just mean to keep your mouth closed? lol

I read the bread trick is cuz the bread absorbs the vapors. =p
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

...wouldn't that just mean to keep your mouth closed? lol

I read the bread trick is cuz the bread absorbs the vapors. =p

Well, yes goof...that's what I said =p.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lookup proper onion chopping METHOD. Once you know the correct method/technique, you will be able to cut faster so it isn't an issue. When cutting a ton of onion, it won't matter, and the best thing is to wear goggles and cut onions that are cold.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I use on average 10-12 onions per week. I in the past 10 years have had tears only maybe 5 times from chopping onions. Either i'm a freak of a nature or its because I store my onions in my fridge (outer skin still intact). I almost always use white onions and I remember mostly crying because of red onions (though not always)

So my tip would be to store the onions in your fridge (keep them in the seperate shopping bag to avoid making a mess)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The bread trick works. Also, what looks cooler than standing in the kitchen, holding a knife with a piece of bread hanging out of your mouth? Double win!