vo2 max test questions

Options
Short Version - Why did I get a higher burn when I entered in a new, higher VO2 max on my hrm?

Long Version - I have a Polar RS300X. When I purchased it back in April, I did the vo2 max test, with a result of 35. Since it's been a bit, I decided to retest this morning, and got the result of 55. I entered that into the user information as well as noting my current weight (177 vs 185 previously).
I was expecting a lower burn. That's how I had understood things, the healthier you get, the harder you have to work. As sort of a test, I kept my HRM on for an hour while wandering aimlessly on the internet this morning. Normally, an hour of mostly inactive would have resulted in a burn of around 150, and it was 100 today, so I thought, okay, hunkiedorey.
And then I hit the gym. I did my usual run of two miles, with my average speed, my bike of five miles, and my 40 minutes of weight lifting. Typically, for that I can expect 700 to 900 calories for 100 minutes. Today, it told me I had burned 1180. I'm confused. I was expecting a lower number. I didn't push any harder, if anything, my heart rate was lower during the bike and lifting than it normally is.

Can someone please explain this to me? I feel like I'm cheating, to enter in that number.

Replies