multigrain/whole wheat pasta ... so confused

Options
ashbee03
ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
ok, so I just made dinner.
and now I think I ate too many calories.

The box says per 1/4 of the box (85g) of pasta is 310 calories.

I weighed the pasta to 85g dry, then cooked it, and ate it with sauce and such.
But then I was thinking, was I suppose to cook the pasta, then weigh it for 85 grams ?
If so, that's not much at all.
Maybe 2 forkfulls, so it didn't make sense.

But it kind of does.
Because it would be less pasta since it weighs more when it's cooked.

GAHH, this tracking stuff gets me so flustered sometimes.
The box should be more specific.
I even read the fine print, it says nothing, anywhere.

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Every pasta box I've seen; the serving size is the amount dry. Pasta expands when cooked so dry it may not look like alot but it is.
  • ashbee03
    Options
    So the 85 grams of dry pasta, that i measured, and then cooked, the amount almost doubled, but it is still only 310 calories?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It absorbs water when it cooks, the label will be dry weight.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    i would say yeah...Its only swollen with water...
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    yup
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    ITZ STILL DA SAME AMT OF CALS UNTIL U START ADDING OTHER CALS 2 IT
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Good to know, I measured my pasta the other night already cooked. Oops! oh well! I'll get it right next time.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    85 grams dry is the serving size listed as calories per portion. the 310 is the dry measure. measure it dry. cooking it doesn't add calories. After you've cooked that much measure it in a measuring cup. then you'll know how much to have at a time when you can't weigh it. whole wheat pasta My thoughts only. The added fiber content isn't worth the price they charge. i get my increased fiber other places. My opinion only. Hope this helps.
  • ashbee03
    Options
    Good to know, I measured my pasta the other night already cooked. Oops! oh well! I'll get it right next time.

yea, and this is what i was confused about.
    because it would have been way less cooked.
    so i wouldn't have had as much pasta.
    half of what i had today probably if i only ate 85g cooked.
  • ashbee03
    Options
    85 grams dry is the serving size listed as calories per portion. the 310 is the dry measure. measure it dry. cooking it doesn't add calories. After you've cooked that much measure it in a measuring cup. then you'll know how much to have at a time when you can't weigh it. whole wheat pasta My thoughts only. The added fiber content isn't worth the price they charge. i get my increased fiber other places. My opinion only. Hope this helps.

i agree !
    but i love pasta, and i'd rather eat it whole grain, then with white enriched flour.
    i only buy the whole wheat on sale.
    and otherwise i eat a whole wheat egg white pasta, which is always cheap.
    comes ina big bag.

also, i know cooking doesn't add calories, but it adds weight.
    so 85 grams of pasta cooked, would be a lot less PASTA then 85 grams dry would it not ?
    which is why i was confused.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Next time you're confused, look at the net weight on the front of the box. You already said the serving size was 1/4 of the box (I'm guessing it said it had 4 servings?) so then just look at the net weight of the box. It probably said somewhere around 336g. Then you would have known that yes, it was 84g of pasta dry.