bacon and calories...

Options

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    FDA says food has to be labelled in its packaged form, I cook 2 slices in frying pan and then blot in paper towel and take the lower cal option, 2 slices cooked bacon
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I toast my bacon in the toast oven. It works great or you can bake it. I use Oscar Mayer turkey bacon. Grease is added in calories no matter how you cook it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I tried turkey bacon over the weekend and loved it..Half the calories too..

My youngest prefer turkey bacon, nut ONLY Lois Rich, not the Jenny-o or other stuff. I get the lower sodium- that stuff tastes SO SALTY to me
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    Eat regular bacon. Center cut is best. Most turkey bacons are full of junk and are really just a chemistry project.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    For me the healthiest way is to cook it up with some scrambled eggs and cheese.

I cook in 100% animal fat, Supafry, so I guess I am kind of a dietary fat fan :)

I do try to get the best quality bacon I can though.

Now I AM hungry, time to break out the frying pan once more for my daily baconathon ... yum.

And microwaving ANYTHING will kill the hell out of the nutrients.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I cook in 100% animal fat, Supafry, so I guess I am kind of a dietary fat fan :)

Now I AM hungry, time to break out the frying pan once more for my daily baconathon ... yum.

Not really. Microwaving frozen vegetables is the best nutrient retaining method bar steaming.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bacon! You don't have to eat much of it because it's so flavorful, so it's actually sort of a low-cal addition to a meal at 40-50 calories a slice.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

Not really. Microwaving frozen vegetables is the best nutrient retaining method bar steaming.

OK, I'll take your word for that, I don't heat up many frozen veggies but I'll bear it in mind :)
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eat real bacon...I get mine from a local butcher, but Hormel is a good brand too. I like their "black-label" bacon.

OP, blot the grease or cook it in the microwave/oven if you please, but I would record it as 80 calories anyway. Better to overestimate and plan accordingly, than underestimate and go over your macros, right? :smokin:
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've always hated bacon, but then I tried turkey bacon and I loved it. I'm trying to cut out all pork and beef products from my diet because I've never been fond of either meat. A little trick I do with my turkey bacon is cutting each piece in half, then packaging it individually in freezer bags so not only does it last longer (saving me money), but I don't feel obligated to eat a lot at once before it goes bad. The reason why I cut each piece in half is to kind of trick my brain into thinking I'm eating more; it looks like I'm eating two pieces when technically I'm just eating one. I also cook the bacon in a frying pan with no added oil because it produces it's own, and I ALWAYS lay it on a paper towel so the excess grease can come off. Get the low-sodium instead of low-fat, because I compared both labels and found that the low-sodium and low-fat had the same amount of fat. :)
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    my sister in law bakes hers in the oven....lay a thing of aluminum foil on the bottom rack under the bacon...lay bacon directly on top rack and bake.....or you can use a cookie sheet
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've always hated bacon, but then I tried turkey bacon and I loved it. I'm trying to cut out all pork and beef products from my diet because I've never been fond of either meat. A little trick I do with my turkey bacon is cutting each piece in half, then packaging it individually in freezer bags so not only does it last longer (saving me money), but I don't feel obligated to eat a lot at once before it goes bad. The reason why I cut each piece in half is to kind of trick my brain into thinking I'm eating more; it looks like I'm eating two pieces when technically I'm just eating one. I also cook the bacon in a frying pan with no added oil because it produces it's own, and I ALWAYS lay it on a paper towel so the excess grease can come off. Get the low-sodium instead of low-fat, because I compared both labels and found that the low-sodium and low-fat had the same amount of fat. :)

turkey bacon is quite good, and suppose to be healthier and less fatty.
    ALTHOUGH, it has a lot more chemicals than regular bacon.

I sometimes buy the turkey bacon if I'm low on cash because it is cheaper than regular bacon.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I guess our method isn't best either.

:Dipped in funnel cake batter and fried:

we actually only did that twice. and, I am probably STILL working off that little bite of heaven. But, that's OK.

OMG Why must you say things like that!!!??? I would totally eat that! *ahem* I mean...the OLD me would have totally eaten that.:wink:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I guess our method isn't best either.

:Dipped in funnel cake batter and fried:

we actually only did that twice. and, I am probably STILL working off that little bite of heaven. But, that's OK.

OMG Why must you say things like that!!!??? I would totally eat that! *ahem* I mean...the OLD me would have totally eaten that.:wink:

the current me would eat that and fit it in my macros. lol
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it's less fat since you leave alot of grease on the pan.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i bake mine in the oven.

i didn't know there was another way to do it until i saw american beauty
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    BACON! Right before I started MFP again, I was debating on trying this Bacon Milkshake at Fab Hot Dogs (awesome NJ style hot dogs in San Fernando Valley). Never got around to actually ordering it, but it's a vanilla milkshake with bacon flavoring and bacon pieces. Supposed to be the best of savory meets sweet.

I'm banking in the fact it's probably about my whole day's worth of calories! :noway:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    good question... I wouldnt worry about it, but good question.
    id imagine the microwave method would be lower calories, since you're consuming less grease... that said... I would still log it as packaged.

Agree that this is a good question. We are all trying to learn. But just my two cents, is it won't matter how you cook it because you're not going to eat it raw. That said, it is letting you know that the calories in those pieces are almost all fat vs. meat. So 60 is from fat and 20 from meat. The package is, I think, referring to the fact that you would cook it, and draining the grease would be part of that process.

With that part said, I usually check carefully on what I log for hamburger, because it can be used raw (in some cases), cooked and drained, or cooked and grease retained in recipe (i.e. some sauces, etc.) I obviously don't do that anymore. :noway:
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I'm eating bacon right now, 6 large slices ... fact :)

Absolutely slathered in 100% animal fat and complemented with a scramble of 3 large eggs, some cheese, spinach and cayenne pepper.

12g of Spinachy Carbohydrate ... 61g Fat ... 40g Protein ... Perfection in a meal.

Oh and 612 Calories, if this matters.

Gee it slides down real nice ...
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bacon gets a bad wrap. Is it because people normally have 3 or 4 slices? It's not really that bad if you eat just two slices, it's low cal. Fat is high but again if you only eat two slices you are good if the rest of your day is good as well. If it helps I get the center cut bacon so that is about 30% lower in fat I believe.