Best personal GPS for running....

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I want one so bad. I've started a half marathon training program and with more miles, it sure would be nice to see how far I really am going and not a close guess.

All I need is one that will tell me my speed and how far - if it has a HRM too that would be cool....don't particularly need one that's super high tech and can be downloaded....

anyone have an opinion or use one?

Replies

• shellybelly83
    Options
    I love my Garmin Forwrunner 305, it has a HRM. It's pretty cheap now since they came out with the 405.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you do get a GPS, just make sure it has a SIRF III chipset; Older models (e.g. something you might find in a "discontinued" sale) might have an older chip that takes forever to lock into a signal and is not as accurate when running in forested areas or around taller buildings. I have a Garmin Forerunner 205 that I purchased several years ago and you practically have to leave it out overnight to get a signal.

I have also read less than glowing reviews about the Garmin 405, their newest model. I would check the customer reviews at Amazon or at REI.com. I have usually found the customer comments helpful--you just have to read a lot of them and have enough common sense to separate the intelligent people from the dumabasses.

For a GPS, the best feedback I have seen is for the Garmin 305 Forerunner.

Another thing to consider instead of GPS, are the various foot pods that calculate speed and distance and work with an HRM. Polar has a version, as does Suunto, and Nike has their own product that works with some iPod model. The pod concept sometimes gives you some flexibility in that you can purchased a cheaper, less-featured watch to go with it rather than pay for all the bells and whistles you might not want. Again, do some research and check for others' comments.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 305 for running and biking. It is perfect for what you want to do (and more). I got mine at Best Buy on sale for ~$125.

If you don't need an "exact" distance and pace, you can get the Nike + sensor for use with an Ipod. It is about $30. You do not need to buy the Nike+ shoes to use it. You can buy a pouch online (~$12-15) to put on your shoe laces to hold it . You need to calibrate the Nike+ unlike the Garmin. Nike + has a better webite.

I use both (and look like an idiot) because the Garmin is more accurate but I am in challenges against my friends on Nike+. The difference is about 0.02 miles over a 3 or 4 mile run. Not bad for short distances but can add up over long distance.

The Garmin 305 has a HRM which I have never used but the Nike + doesn't. One other thing about the Garmon 305, it is big. I am 5'6" but have small wrists. I need to wear it on my lower forearm. If you plan to buy online, you might want to go into a store and try it on first. I know there are smaller models but I think they are more expensive.

Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Does the Garmin 305 come with everything you need or do I need a foot sensor or something else??
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    The 305 comes with everything you need. :smile:
  • sambones76
    Options
    The Garmin Forerunner 310XT seems like the ultimate GPS running watch these days. I just ordered one.