"Lower Carbs" to kick cravings?

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
I know this has probably been asked a ton of times, but ya know what? I've noticed this site is full of repetition, and there are still a bunch of supportive people that take time of their day to reply, soooo I'm trying my luck. ;)

I've fallen off the wagon a long time ago and I cannot for the life of me get back on. My problem is CRAVINGS. It's not the typical "I want a donut because it sounds good", it's a more intense, almost severe "I NEED this donut because my heart is pumping, my leg is shaking, I'm incredibly anxious and it won't go away until I'm stuffed full of sugar". It's THAT bad.

I eat a healthy breakfast (most days) and I eat every 2-4 hours, I try to keep my meals at 300-400 each, and I try to focus on protein and fiber, but I find myself wanting to overload on CARBS and SUGARS - but not fruit sugar, I want the refined, processed, delicious, addictive crap. And it gets SO bad to the point where if I DON'T have it, I literally feel anxious like an OCD person inexplicably compelled to tap their doorknob 14 times before leaving their house.

I guess my question out of all this rambling is... would a low carb "diet" (or lifestyle, whatever) help my cravings? At this point, I don't even care about losing weight, I dont' care about working out, all I want to do is be able to be around food and not feel the NEED for it. I want to be able to be around the unhealthy foods and not want to drop everything just to have it. I want these damn cravings to go away!!

Anybody currently on lowER carb plan, or tried it, or thinking of it for this reason?
What are your experiences?
What plan are you on?
Is it helping your cravings and aiding your weight loss?

Thank you all. :)

Love and Alohas,
Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No.

I would suggest that you instead find a way to incorporate your desire for a sugary snack into your diet.

I might suggest very rich dark chocolates. They are VERY sweet, so you can't eat a lot at once and thus eat fewer calories of it.

If you literally have to force yourself to never eat something, that diet plan will eventually fail.

Count your calories. If you have enough left over, go ahead and enjoy dessert. If not and you still want it, well, lace up them running shoes and earn it.

But the entire "I limit my carbs already and desire more carbs, should I restrict even further to remove cravings?" won't work.
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    DanaDark - I appreciate your response, however... I'm the type of person that can binge up to 10,000 calories a day... no exaggeration. I will sit and eat... and eat... and eat... all day, until I feel the urge to vomit. Then I'll eat some more. I can eat any kinds of chocolate (or any dessert, really) by the pound, no matter HOW sweet it is, and still crave more. It's severe.

I've tried for 10 years to incorporate different foods into my diet, to allow myself a moderate portion size, because I've always believed in never denying myself a certain type of food... but I just can't do it. 10 years of trying to eat healthy and counting calories hasn't done a thing. I may need something more drastic to at least help me get rid of the cravings FIRST... then maybe I can slowly start reintroducing certain foods. Unfortunately, your approach is something I've been doing since the start, and it hasn't helped.

Thank you for your response though. :)

Anyone else???
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is hard for you to feel satisfied with what you eat during your goals when you are constantly craving for things. Being on calorie deficit is not easy if you cannot easily adjust to it. It is always recommend to drop calories slowly, some drop the calories with no issues. Eating foods like Oatmeal, whole food pasta, and sweet potatoes for example can help you curve those carvings, and even make you full. Some people in this forum will advocate eating whatever you want as long as you keep it in within your caloric goal, and other people are strictly clean with their calories. I am personally the strict type and I will not go on why or why not but that is just me. I also happen to have a weakness for Calzone, and pizza but I only eat them as a reward and don't take it for granted when I eat them.
  • patvan1234
    Options
    keep carbs to =0 for four days, eating fish,meat,chicken,eggs,cheese up to 1000-1200 cal/day and cont to exercise; add green vegs next week . . . check out dr atkins diet
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I believe you can cure sugar cravings by cutting the carbs and sugars. No sweetners of any kind and keep carbs low, no white bread, pasta, rice etc. Do it for 2 weeks and see how you feel, many say they love it and it has cured them from carb/sugar addictions. I can keep my binges under control keeping carbs lower. .....Good luck.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am like you. Moderation doesn't work for me. It's much easier for me to say no to dessert entirely than to eat just a reasonable portion. Once I have one bite, I want ALL OF IT, the whole tray of brownies, the whole box of cookies, the whole tube of cookie dough. Even if it's something really rich like dark chocolate, even once I'm starting to feel sick.

For me I think this is a learned behavioral problem, not a biological intolerance to carbs.
    Specifically, I have dealt with stress, sadness, boredom, anger in the past by "treating" myself to sugary junk food, and felt better for a few minutes, which taught my brain that this is a good solution, and that if I have one, I can/should have more, lots more.

I have found that I don't need to cut carbs in general to kill the sugar junk cravings. I can eat pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, fruit, etc. and do fine. I can even have sugary things like juice and sports drinks, especially if I'm having them during an endurance training session (running 10+ miles) or in combination with other foods (such as a cup of fruit juice added to a smoothie made up mostly of leafy greens) and it doesn't ever trigger a binge.

I can also do okay most of the time in public. I can have a piece of cake at a party and stop at one, most of the time.

However if I have a piece of candy or a cookie in private at home, at least half the time that will lead to me eating way more than I should. WAY more. The easiest thing for me has just been to make a rule that I can't have dessert at home, only when out on special occasions.

Because I sometimes have episodes where eating a dessert at a party leads to coming home and eating tons of dessert once I"m alone, I also limit my dessert eating even on those occasions (making sure it's something I really like and will savor, not just having something to be polite). I am also more vigilant, knowing that I'm going to be vulnerable at those times; sometimes I'll make a plan to deal with the cravings that I know might be coming, like reminding myself to brush teeth right after coming home and go to bed soon after so I won't be up late and tempted to have "just one more piece since I already had some dessert today" as I am prone to rationalize.

Of course the best solution is just not to have it around. I can't do this completely because I have a husband and kids who would be mad if I stopped buying treats. I do try to store them in an area of the pantry that I don't use for general cooking, so I won't see it unless I'm looking for it, and as much as possible I buy the treats that I like the least but that they like.
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your replies!
  • givemenovember
    givemenovember Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had to detox in order to kick my cravings. It was the only way, and it was 2 weeks of crying, tantrums, pain, but it was so worth it. Now I don't do wheat at all, since i found out my body is sensitive to it.

I do miss it sometimes, but it's worth it!
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    I had to detox in order to kick my cravings. It was the only way, and it was 2 weeks of crying, tantrums, pain, but it was so worth it. Now I don't do wheat at all, since i found out my body is sensitive to it.

I do miss it sometimes, but it's worth it!

Has low carbing it helped with your cravings?? Do you find that you don't crave carbs as much as before??
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    I believe you can cure sugar cravings by cutting the carbs and sugars. No sweetners of any kind and keep carbs low, no white bread, pasta, rice etc. Do it for 2 weeks and see how you feel, many say they love it and it has cured them from carb/sugar addictions. I can keep my binges under control keeping carbs lower. .....Good luck.

Thank you! Are you currently on low carb, or have done low carb before? If so, what are/were your experiences?
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    Is hard for you to feel satisfied with what you eat during your goals when you are constantly craving for things. Being on calorie deficit is not easy if you cannot easily adjust to it. It is always recommend to drop calories slowly, some drop the calories with no issues. Eating foods like Oatmeal, whole food pasta, and sweet potatoes for example can help you curve those carvings, and even make you full. Some people in this forum will advocate eating whatever you want as long as you keep it in within your caloric goal, and other people are strictly clean with their calories. I am personally the strict type and I will not go on why or why not but that is just me. I also happen to have a weakness for Calzone, and pizza but I only eat them as a reward and don't take it for granted when I eat them.

Thank you. I completely agree... personally, I think being strict is good sometimes. I think that's exactly what I need, at least for a little while.
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    I am like you. Moderation doesn't work for me. It's much easier for me to say no to dessert entirely than to eat just a reasonable portion. Once I have one bite, I want ALL OF IT, the whole tray of brownies, the whole box of cookies, the whole tube of cookie dough. Even if it's something really rich like dark chocolate, even once I'm starting to feel sick.

For me I think this is a learned behavioral problem, not a biological intolerance to carbs.
    Specifically, I have dealt with stress, sadness, boredom, anger in the past by "treating" myself to sugary junk food, and felt better for a few minutes, which taught my brain that this is a good solution, and that if I have one, I can/should have more, lots more.

I have found that I don't need to cut carbs in general to kill the sugar junk cravings. I can eat pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, fruit, etc. and do fine. I can even have sugary things like juice and sports drinks, especially if I'm having them during an endurance training session (running 10+ miles) or in combination with other foods (such as a cup of fruit juice added to a smoothie made up mostly of leafy greens) and it doesn't ever trigger a binge.

I can also do okay most of the time in public. I can have a piece of cake at a party and stop at one, most of the time.

However if I have a piece of candy or a cookie in private at home, at least half the time that will lead to me eating way more than I should. WAY more. The easiest thing for me has just been to make a rule that I can't have dessert at home, only when out on special occasions.

Because I sometimes have episodes where eating a dessert at a party leads to coming home and eating tons of dessert once I"m alone, I also limit my dessert eating even on those occasions (making sure it's something I really like and will savor, not just having something to be polite). I am also more vigilant, knowing that I'm going to be vulnerable at those times; sometimes I'll make a plan to deal with the cravings that I know might be coming, like reminding myself to brush teeth right after coming home and go to bed soon after so I won't be up late and tempted to have "just one more piece since I already had some dessert today" as I am prone to rationalize.

Of course the best solution is just not to have it around. I can't do this completely because I have a husband and kids who would be mad if I stopped buying treats. I do try to store them in an area of the pantry that I don't use for general cooking, so I won't see it unless I'm looking for it, and as much as possible I buy the treats that I like the least but that they like.

Thank you for your reply! I totally agree, I think it may have something to do with a behavioral problem... hell, it may even be an emotional/mental problem, something I have no clue about. Probably something I should look into.

Thank you for your experiences/advice. Will definitely keep it in mind and see if it works for me. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    because you're prone to binge eating i would say that low carb/cutting out the treats altogether is not advisable. You'll likely snap and binge and undo weeks of hard work (if you binge up to 10k calories).

Instead I'd do what was mentioned above--only allow treats outside the home and only a single serving. You can plan a larger treat one day a week or a smaller treat daily.

I would 100000% say do NOT try to resist the craving altogether--that usually backfires.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    People are reluctant to say this but I read all of these responses and I think "Is anybody going to say anything about the addictiveness of this behavior?" I read that you eat to the point of wanting to vomit yet you still eat more and I don't see how it's any different than if you were saying you were a binge drinker. It's fine to talk about low carb, no carb, whatever carb, but what about the psychological part of all of this? Have you seen a counselor/therapist etc about any of these issues?
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    I'm the type of person that can binge up to 10,000 calories a day... no exaggeration. I will sit and eat... and eat... and eat... all day, until I feel the urge to vomit. Then I'll eat some more. I can eat any kinds of chocolate (or any dessert, really) by the pound, no matter HOW sweet it is, and still crave more. It's severe.

I've tried for 10 years to incorporate different foods into my diet, to allow myself a moderate portion size, because I've always believed in never denying myself a certain type of food... but I just can't do it. Unfortunately, your approach is something I've been doing since the start, and it hasn't helped.

We're a lot alike. The only thing that even remotely helps me is to make identical things at home. If that means I bake a batch of cookies everyday, so be it. I've learned to use stevia and lower calorie versions of things that at least HELPS me maintain my weight.
    The real issue is psychological.
    Before you're ready to reach out in that way, I suggest replacing the food with a healthier version. Or, buy popping corn and make it in a brown paper bag in the microwave. As long as I have something to munch on, I feel better.

Good luck to you!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    People are reluctant to say this but I read all of these responses and I think "Is anybody going to say anything about the addictiveness of this behavior?" I read that you eat to the point of wanting to vomit yet you still eat more and I don't see how it's any different than if you were saying you were a binge drinker. It's fine to talk about low carb, no carb, whatever carb, but what about the psychological part of all of this? Have you seen a counselor/therapist etc about any of these issues?

^^^ this
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    currently suffered from this as well.....I find he only way to detox myself and return back to routine is to try and hit the gym hard.
    Try as much as I can to burn the calories off and that usually makes me realise how hard it is to loose all the weight off in the first place.

I then find myself less incline to try and binge again after.
    It's usually binging and not going to the gym or working it off is what I find makes it easier the next day to repeat the same mistake again.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    because you're prone to binge eating i would say that low carb/cutting out the treats altogether is not advisable. You'll likely snap and binge and undo weeks of hard work (if you binge up to 10k calories).

Instead I'd do what was mentioned above--only allow treats outside the home and only a single serving. You can plan a larger treat one day a week or a smaller treat daily.

I would 100000% say do NOT try to resist the craving altogether--that usually backfires.

While that case would be true for most, it hasn't been for me. I've been IN ketosis (not just doing low carb, actually IN the fat-burning stage of ketosis) for 50-something days. I have not had a day where I have cheated enough to knock myself out of ketosis. I have had a few bites of cake or a few crackers at a family event, but even then I have shown terrific restraint.

OP, if you think you may be addicted to carbs, try cutting them out. The first two weeks were HELL (body kicking and screaming for frosting, doughnuts, and other things I normally wouldn't eat), and I was lucky enough not to get the keto flu. I have been keeping my carbs as close to (and mostly under) 20g a day since the end of May, and I really like the way I feel. Brain fog has lifted, energy restored, cravings have GTFO. It's nice. Now that I'm adapted, I really don't think I'll ever go back. Sure, I'll eventually reincorporate fruits and possibly whole grains, hell, I'm looking forward to eating tons more of zucchini and cabbages once I have a greater carb allowance, but I'll not touch where I was a few months ago with a 10 foot pole.

Is this right for you? Try it. That's the only way you'll know. Good luck!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    couple more quick thoughts to add, things that help me:

-getting enough sleep; if I'm tired I'm .more impulsive and likely to overeat. plus most of my overeating is in the evenings.

-avoiding alcohol. I was never a big drinker, but I used to have a glass of wine with dinner or a beer while watching TV in the evening; however I've found that even a single drink lowers my inhibitions enough that I would start snacking on sugary junk food if I found some. So now I have a drink maybe once a week at most.

-setting up non-food treats to look forward to in the evening. I seem to need a treat at that time of day. Some things that work for me are splurging on bath soaks like the big fizzy bath bombs from Lush; a new book; texting an out-of-town friend that I haven't talked to in a while and setting up a time to talk on the phone in the evening. Having those things to look forward to can help replace my cravings.
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    You sound a lot like me. Before I changed my eating habits my day consisted of crap, crap, and more crap that came from sugar & processed carbs. I can't eat gluten but I still found ways to binge on entire boxes of gluten free brownie mix, cakes, cookies, etc. Moderation does not work for me when it comes to stuff like that. 55 days ago I started a ketogenic diet. I eat around 25 net carbs per day, and all of my carbs come from veggies (spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumbers), some fruits (avocado, berries), and the small trace amounts that are in cheeses. In these last 55 days i've lost 33 lbs. I lost 23 pounds within the first two weeks (yes it was all water weight but i'll still take it), and I lose consistently every week now. Of course I still eat within my calorie goals but not once have I had a craving for anything sweet. I haven't binged nor do I have any desire to. My appetite is finally under control, I have more energy, and i'm happier b/c i'm not stuffing my face with crap all of the time. I can easily see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. If you think that cutting your carbs down will help then try it. It won't hurt to change something for two weeks, and see how you feel.