Can't workout- injury

Options
I'm so upset I can't even fall asleep. I was told by my trainer to take a week off from the gym. My leg aches so I can't even workout at home. Just looking to whine, thanks!

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Can you do strecthes? Or maybe just upper body work? Swimming?
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon and enjoy the break
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Can you do upper body workouts instead of workouts that require you using legs? Just a thought. -Midge
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can do upper body workouts but I feel like my heart rate wont get up there to make me feel like its a good workout. I live in rural Ontario and pools are few and far between and where there is a pool length times are at like 9 am when I'm at work it sucks!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Seriuosly don't let this effect you!!!

I had to take 4 weeks off from a sprained wrist, all i did in that time was focus a bit more on lower body (opposite for you) and paid special attention to my diet for that 4 weeks to compensate for the lack of working out I did.

If you keep an eye on your diet, compensate for not working out as much, you will continue to lose weight =]

(I still lost 1.5kg a week JUST from my diet and some squats and lunges every second day)
  • Smelerz
    Options
    I think I have got to the point where I don't even care about the weight lose its more the need to work out and release pent up energy. Can I really do arms every day for a week?
  • Katahna
    Options
    OR! do some boxing on a boxing bag if you're that keen to do cardio... =]

You shouldn't work out every single day of the week.. have a rest day your body literally will love you for it.

Here:

Day 1:
    Pushups, 3 sets of 10 (wide grip)
    Pushups, 3 sets of 10 (close grip)
    20 minutes boxing bag
    Back extensions, 3x 15.

Day 2:
    Sit ups, 3x 15
    Crunches, 3x15
    Butterfly back extension, 2x 15

20 minutes boxing bag

Alternate between those, only requires body weight so you can do at home. one week won't hurt you as much as you think if you focus on what you can do as apposed to what you can't.

=]
  • Smelerz
    Options
    ohhhhh what a good idea!!! I love boxing!! I will see if my trainer will let me borrow some gloves to take home. Thanks!
  • Warren_Carrol
    Warren_Carrol Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    one of the things they say on p90x is an injury doesn't always mean stop (although you know your body best) but work around it.
    I had a few days that I knew if I worked a body part, I would regret it.
    take the time you need, sometimes a day makes a world of difference, but maybe there's a way around the issue as well.
    good luck.
  • Katahna
    Options
    ohhhhh what a good idea!!! I love boxing!! I will see if my trainer will let me borrow some gloves to take home. Thanks!

Don't need gloves, can also do shadow boxing if gloves/bag is out of the question

Stand in front of mirror and pretend that YOU are the opposition, and just keep punching, dodging and weaving =]
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I hurt my heel last year and felt the same way. If you are able to stand you can do punches. I love boxing and you don't have to more your legs much at all. It got me through it!
  • Smelerz
    Options
    very true however I don't think I have enough room infront of a mirror but either way I will figure something out thats a great idea, hopefully this week will go fast!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've had a few leg injury setbacks myself. Don't let it slow ya up. You always got your upper body to focus on. I always find after giving my legs a rest im back running better than last time
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have an ergometer (an arm bike, in effect). You can really get your heart rate up and it's all upper body.
  • Smelerz
    Options
    I'm able to stand and walk slowly but no running :( I was hoping to continue to train for a 10k in Sept hopefully this doesnt set me back too much. The chiropractor told me to strengthen my VMO and the issue should go away but in the mean time my trainer doesnt feel comfortable seeing me with an injury so until then....
  • Smelerz
    Options
    Does your gym have an ergometer (an arm bike, in effect). You can really get your heart rate up and it's all upper body.

the gym that I go to is more of a studio just has classes so I can't just drop in and use the equipment I have been going for over a year and its super small (about 50 members) so I'm hoping to borrow any equipment I may need
  • Smelerz
    Options
    I've had a few leg injury setbacks myself. Don't let it slow ya up. You always got your upper body to focus on. I always find after giving my legs a rest im back running better than last time

thanks! thats what I am hoping for!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This is the worst. I havent been able to run because of a knee issue. I have found other ways. I hope you can too.
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i am currently dealing with a stress fracture and peroneal tendonitis in my right foot - i am doing upper body workouts (P90X) - you just need to keep moving with what you can do and keep your head in the game. At least it is *only* one week... it could be much worse. don't let yourself slip from your goals or stop your journey - keep moving forward!
  • Smelerz
    Options
    This is the worst. I havent been able to run because of a knee issue. I have found other ways. I hope you can too.

My chiro says that this is the "best" knee injury to have b/c it is easily treatable it just takes a bit of time but for the last 14 months I have worked out 6 days a week so I guess I just need to learn how to adjust