gluten free?

Options
Is anyone here currently/used to be gluten free? I've been trying to find as much research on it as I can and was wondering if it has helped you lose weight or had any other positive impacts? I have ADD and am trying to find natural alternatives to the medicine, there were a couple articles about people going gluten free saying that it helped them with their ADD. thanks!

Replies

• hobomclacey
    hobomclacey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do gluten free too! My mother has been doing it and lost around 7 pounds her first week! She says she feels great and more energized. She advised me not eat a lot of GF processed foods though (like GF crackers, cereal, bread) b/c they have a very high GI. It is good to stick to foods that are naturally GF like meat, veggies, fruit, beans, etc... basically foods you should eat while trying to be healthy. I hope being GF will work for me because it will be a rule I stick to and force me to limit myself from most unhealthy foods :).
  • amandae0182
    Options
    Gluten free is not for losing weight, it is because people have an illness and cannot tolerate it. It is expensive and miserable why would you do it if you didnt have to?
  • mleonards
    mleonards Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am gluten and dairy free. Not for weight loss purposes, I am sensitive to both things so that is why... but it does force me to eat healthier overall.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    HI There....3 years ago a nutritionist suggested I try gluten free. She said this becuase I was having slight inflamation in joints and various aches and pains. I gave it a shot and was suprised to see how much better I felt. Not only did my aches and pains diminish but I had better energy and slept better too.

there are some great books on Amazon on how to eat gluten free but it isn't that hard. Main thing is to avoid Bread and anything with Wheat in it. What will surprise you are how many things contain wheat (soy sauce, catsup, etc.).

I say give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If you don't feel better then go back to eating bread and such. But for me I'm 100% off gluten and very, very happy to be so.
  • hobomclacey
    hobomclacey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    this is not necessarily true. yes, GF bread, cereal, cookies and so are on very expensive, but there are plenty of foods that are naturally GF and most of them are healthy and will help you lose weight. Lots of research shows being GF with naturally gf foods is good for weight loss and overall health issues. having a GF rule for your diet helps a person avoid many processed foods and forces a person to focus on meat, veggies, fruits, beans, etc... thus causing weight loss.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is not for losing weight, it is because people have an illness and cannot tolerate it. It is expensive and miserable why would you do it if you didnt have to?

Yikes! Very misinformed statement. Sensitivity or intolerance is not an "illness" per se, Celiac is. But people avoid gluten for BOTH reasons. And, in my experience, doing so is neither expensive and certainly not miserable once you get the hang of actually COOKING and preparing your own foods instead of eating convenient, packaged and processed all the time (which can actually be more expensive). I have spoken to exactly no-one who has simply TRIED a gluten-free diet and did not feel good, better, or completely transformed by it. I see no harm.