BEST post workout/recovery drink?

Options
As some of you know my husband and i are working on lifting heavy and wonder what is the best after workout drink and is protein the most important ingredient. A few years ago when we worked with a trainer he have my husband some tables with I think Glutamine or something. I can't remember what it was exactly but for some reason (although it made my husbands muscle really firm) he began to experience rectal bleeding each time he took it. He tried it again recently 4 years later and the same thing happened. So any advice on a heathy post workout drink that helps the muscle and doesn't contain sugar?

Replies

• vehnebuske
    Options
    have you heard of advocate products? These have a really good reputation and there is a lot of post recovery stuff. One is a pill that is post recovery and nighttime recovery and it has been highly recommended to me
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be using egg white protein powder (I'm allergic to whey), dextrose and creatine...I found the recipe online. I ordered the dextrose from Netrition.com and also the creatine powder and they haven't gotten here yet so right now I'm doing a cocktail of my strawberry Shakeology, coconut milk, 3/4 frozen mango and the egg white protein powder...it's giving me the carbs and protein I need post workout. You're talking about l-glutamine, which is already in my protein powder so I won't be adding that but the dextrose is a quick acting carb and obviously not refined sugar so once my ingredients come in I'll be trying that, although my current cocktail has been doing well but I like to have my shakeology later in the day lol
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm gonna be using egg white protein powder (I'm allergic to whey), dextrose and creatine...I found the recipe online. I ordered the dextrose from Netrition.com and also the creatine powder and they haven't gotten here yet so right now I'm doing a cocktail of my strawberry Shakeology, coconut milk, 3/4 frozen mango and the egg white protein powder...it's giving me the carbs and protein I need post workout. You're talking about l-glutamine, which is already in my protein powder so I won't be adding that but the dextrose is a quick acting carb and obviously not refined sugar so once my ingredients come in I'll be trying that, although my current cocktail has been doing well but I like to have my shakeology later in the day lol

So what does it do for you? I think he is looking for something that enhances the muscle if there is such a thing. Or is the point of post workout formula to just rejuvenate?
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    One of the theories is to find a recovery drink with a 4 to 1 Carb to Protein ratio. Good old low-fat chocolate milk is probably the most economical choice you'll ever find. Essentially, the theory is to replenish glycogen stores burned during exercise (the carbs) while transporting protein into your muscles to repair them.

Don't know if that's true or not but I believe is through experience. I very rarely have significant muscle soreness or lack of energy following workouts.

The two products i've used are from Pacific Health Labs. Once is called Accelerade and the other is Endurox 4. I tend to only use Endurox 4 when on heavy strength training and it's been awhile since i've used it. I use Accelerade every day and it's a very tasty treat. You can get it at GNC and other health food stores. Keep an eye out at GNC as it's frequently on a 2 for 1 sale. About $30 and lasts me about 2 months.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You don't need a PWO drink. (you're body is still digesting nutrients from previous meals unless you haven't eaten for a long time)

Have a protein shake if it helps you reach you're protein target for the day. (and you can't be bothered cooking :tongue:)

Otherwise, just eat :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's like asking the best food. Some will say cheeseburgers. Some will say pizza. But the correct answer is sushi. Or beer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No pre-workout or post-workout meals/drinks needed. Just hit your daily macro goals for the day. No real benefit to timing it based on a workout.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi definitely. Made me gain 15 lbs of muscle in a little over a month.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Basic supplements for body building:

Multi Vitamins
    Creatine
    Glutamine
    Amino Acids (BCAA)
    Whey Protein
    Fatty Acids - Fish Oil

Remember these are supplements your nutrition is key.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    it utterly does not matter. meet your macros for the day. post workout is no more important than meals at any other time. and supplements are utterly pointless that do absolutely nothing measureable results wise. (with creatine and multi vitamin and fish oil being the only exceptions, but for non weight loss reasons)
  • GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Postworkout-Recovery-Shake.aspx

I recommend this shake :]

When working on lean muscle it is essential to get protein within 45minutes after your workout.

If you are sticking with cardio, I still recommend this shake because it is super refreshing!

Hope this resource helps! :smile: