Crazier things have happened...well...maybe not....

Options
A little over three month ago...I friended a man across the country from me( and he better be happy I didnt think about the 3 hour time difference then!!!)...he was cute....Almost instantly, the connection between us was nausiating to our friends... ( Sorry guys)...we both were wanting to start JM 30DS and it seemed like a good way to hold each other accountable and a fun way to stay motivated...#s were exchanged via messaging...and then the first call...

Let me step back for a moment...I am from SC...and have a VERY heavy southern accent ( I am kinda sensitive about it) and had warned him before calling about it. I was so nervous about him hearing me...but at the same time, could not wait to talk to him...that first call was PRICELESS, ambulance sirens and dying phone battery ( still dont think he believes this story)....that call ended and I could not wait to talk to him again...he texted me how much he enjoyed talking to me and loved my voice ( first obstacle overcome!!)...and to make a very long story a little shorter...we talked for literally hours on end EVERY day since that first call...he pushes me and I know I push him...we have a deep friendship even though we have NEVER met in person....and here comes my question and set up....

He purchased a plane ticket to come see me...60 days out...I was beyond excited...and scared at the same time. I have been alone for nearly 10 years, and did not need a man to complicate my happy little carefree life....

Tonight...we are 13 days and mere hours from seeing each other face to face... I have talked to his children on the phone, I have friended his mom on FB...both of us have talked more to each other than anyone else we have had traditional relationships....I know there is a lof of flirting on this site...I get that...this isn't the casual flirt...

My question is...have any of you fallen in love with someone on MFP...have you met any of the people on your list? i don't need the validaton, just curious if I am alone. I know many people will think this is CRAZY ( I would be one of those btw!) But keep in mind, I am almost 40...not lonely...and could date if I chose to....

Anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A little over three month ago...I friended a man across the country from me( and he better be happy I didnt think about the 3 hour time difference then!!!)...he was cute....Almost instantly, the connection between us was nausiating to our friends... ( Sorry guys)...we both were wanting to start JM 30DS and it seemed like a good way to hold each other accountable and a fun way to stay motivated...#s were exchanged via messaging...and then the first call...

Let me step back for a moment...I am from SC...and have a VERY heavy southern accent ( I am kinda sensitive about it) and had warned him before calling about it. I was so nervous about him hearing me...but at the same time, could not wait to talk to him...that first call was PRICELESS, ambulance sirens and dying phone battery ( still dont think he believes this story)....that call ended and I could not wait to talk to him again...he texted me how much he enjoyed talking to me and loved my voice ( first obstacle overcome!!)...and to make a very long story a little shorter...we talked for literally hours on end EVERY day since that first call...he pushes me and I know I push him...we have a deep friendship even though we have NEVER met in person....and here comes my question and set up....

He purchased a plane ticket to come see me...60 days out...I was beyond excited...and scared at the same time. I have been alone for nearly 10 years, and did not need a man to complicate my happy little carefree life....

Tonight...we are 13 days and mere hours from seeing each other face to face... I have talked to his children on the phone, I have friended his mom on FB...both of us have talked more to each other than anyone else we have had traditional relationships....I know there is a lof of flirting on this site...I get that...this isn't the casual flirt...

My question is...have any of you fallen in love with someone on MFP...have you met any of the people on your list? i don't need the validaton, just curious if I am alone. I know many people will think this is CRAZY ( I would be one of those btw!) But keep in mind, I am almost 40...not lonely...and could date if I chose to....

Anyone in the same boat?

It happened in my neck of the woods on MFP and it turned into a disaster for the two people involved( and really embarrassing for the female). Hey whatever floats your boat but if you could date if chose to why are you CHOOSING to date someone from the other side of the country. It sounds ridiculous but its body for the crazy stranger you never met in real life to chop up, not mine.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Well... I know it seems CRAZY!! Trust me...I would think the same thing!!! BUT...I am old enough to understand things and relationships....so we will see!!! All I know is...I have a best friend...and that is the most important thing to me!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Fate works in mysterious ways. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tonight...we are 13 days and mere hours from seeing each other face to face... I have talked to his children on the phone, I have friended his mom on FB...both of us have talked more to each other than anyone else we have had traditional relationships....I know there is a lof of flirting on this site...I get that...this isn't the casual flirt..

Yup, not casual at all haha. Good luck.
  • manderswv
    manderswv Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a somewhat similar story. My fiance and I went to the same college and had mutual friends, but we did not know each other in college. We knew of each other, but did not know each other personally (and that's probably for the best.) He was in the Army reserves through college and enrolled in the Individual Ready Reserve which means that any unit across the United States could call him to deploy if they needed more people for their unit. A unit out of New Jersey needed more soldiers, so my fiance was called to deploy to Iraq. He landed in Iraq in September of 2008. We met when he was home in January of 2009 for his two weeks of leave. I was in town visiting one of the friends we had in common and we were out at a local bar. She pointed out when he entered the bar with his friends. She had known him for years in college but decided not to say hello because she didn't want her current boyfriend to get jealous. To make a long story short, I went over to introduce myself and express my appreciation for his service. I thought very poorly of my friend in that moment for not saying hello to someone who she might not get the opportunity to see again. I have a cousin that was shot in the neck by an Iraqi sniper and is now a quadriplegic, so I don't ever take seeing a soldier for granted. My fiance and I exchanged numbers, and I told him that if he wanted to say hi to his friend, to text me and I would let him know where we were the next night. He texted me the whole next day, but certainly not to see where my friend was.

The next night when we ran into each other, he was very sweet and told me that I looked amazing. I figured he was just being nice and didn't expect much contact other than the conversation that weekend. I went home and he IMed me a few days later. We continued IMing once he returned to Iraq as a way of taking his mind off things and passing the time. What started out as a couple of IMing sessions a week turned into 4-5 days a week, then every day. About 3 months later, we had our first phone conversation. A big step in general, but especially since he had only made 2 other calls from Iraq in the 7 months that he had been deployed.

It quickly became obvious that we were interested in each other as more than friends. We both agreed that we wanted to wait until he came home before officially putting titles on anything or telling people. He told his parents he was talking to someone, and I told friends there was someone I really cared about, but we didn't get into specifics.

By the time he got home, all it took was for us to see each other and we knew. We waited 8 months for our first "real" date, and it was completely worth it. It was actually my birthday, and was perfect.

Our situation isn't exactly the same as yours since we had friends in common and went to the same college, but we didn't actually know each other in college which is probably for the best since we were both not that open to relationships during the time we would have been in college together.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As fate would have it, I'm in the same boat as you. ;) And yes, I believe it will work.

Can't wait. 13 more days . . .

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Y'all are the cutest ever... I hope I am half as lucky some day. Just keep the bacon cookies coming. :) luvey'all both and I better get a wedding invite ;)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Awwwwwe. You guys are too cute. :) YAY.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    For what it's worth I met my wife on AOL (remember that service?) back in 1997 while I was working for them and she was a member. We started talking, I made her laugh. and things grew from there. We have been married for 12 years; have 4 wonderful children and couldn't be happier.

The "forum" in which a match happens doesn't matter, if it's a match, its a match. Good luck!!!!!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hope it all works out! I think that's great! I don't think we can control how it happens, if it's meant to be then maybe MFP was the connection. My wife and I lived at opposite ends of the same street and did not know each other existed. A friend kept throwing us together and 13 years later she's my best friend and partner in all things. And yes we are on this journey together. Good luck!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    one time i was in a hospital and some new mom convinced me to sneak her out to smoke. this involved elevators, wheel chairs, and holding a piss bag and iv poll. then sneaking past a blind man playing piano. id say that was much crazier.

its almost irritating that you mention you age a few times saying that youre older so you know better. truth is, your age really dosnt have anything to do with it. stuff could still go wrong. that being said, you have a much better chance of it going right because you talked so much and got to know his family.

my best friend meet someone online who is halfway around the globe. she was 16 at the time. everyone told her she was crazy and dumb to meet someone online. its dangerous, wrong, etc. she 'knew him better then they did' because they talked, texted, im'ed for a year before hand every day. she still went through with seeing him, meeting his family, etc. everything turned horrible in less then 2 years. they were living together then, and engaged. she told me now (at close to 20) she wishes she would have never meet him and wasted so much time and money flying all over etc. she thought he was the one, turned out he wasnt so special.

i know two other friends on mfp who meet their SO's online years ago and are now living together or getting married. it depends on the individual and their chemestry and their temperment/ views etc. just like anyone else getting together, rather they be close or far.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I can see how this can happen. I think its a very sweet story and I am glad that you guys are going to meet. I hope that you have the best time together! BTW, you just melted my heart. I'm a sucker for romance.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can see how this can happen. I think its a very sweet story and I am glad that you guys are going to meet. I hope that you have the best time together! BTW, you just melted my heart. I'm a sucker for romance.

this! Best of luck and go with what feel right to you.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Anyone in the same boat?

Totally in the same boat, almost exact same time frame too. 13 days to go also. Cept I'm an Aussie and she's from California. I have a trip planned already but she is going to fly out to Chicago and spend the time I'm there with me. We joke and talk about the future as well but it's hard to gauge and not be too carried away as of yet lol.

Anythings possible!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    As fate would have it, I'm in the same boat as you. ;) And yes, I believe it will work.

Can't wait. 13 more days . . .

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Awesome.

And what a strange coincidence. What are the odds?
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to find out how it goes...be sure to keep us posted!!!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yeah good luck! Even though there is distance involved least your inthr same hemisphere as a start :)
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    My best friend just moved half way across the country to be with a man she met online, she couldn't be happier!! You two are absolutely adorable and it will be amazing! Can't wait to hear the meet n greet stories and see where this journey takes you.
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Beyond excited for the possibilities!!! I'm a hopeless romantic and have met several guys online, my first bf and I dated for over 4 yrs and I moved from Oklahoma to California to be with him. Obviously we didn't make it but that's not to say that others can't have a more lasting relationship.
    You two are some of the sweetest people around and I pray it's simply magical!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump ** cause i wanna hear outcome