Greek Yogurt- I'm clueless!

Options
I keep hearing people talk about greek yogurt and just how much they adore it. I enjoy trying new things, but I really have no idea what you do with it or how you eat it. Also, I am not really a huge fan of yogurt. The only time I really enjoy it is when I am eating it with Indian food.
So... is it sweet? Do you eat it plain? What is the consistency like? I am hitting the grocery store tomorrow and wondering if I should try it out.
Help!

Replies

• Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think plain greek yogurt is disgusting! It tastes like sour cream. However, it is now my FAVORITE thing to eat. I eat Oiko's Plain and add one pack of Splenda (I know, artificial sweetener...) and a teaspoon of honey and it is DELICIOUS!!!! Try just one and see how you like it. It also gives me 15 g of protein and very low in carbs, so it keeps me full.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    Hmmm. See, I really like sour cream!
    I think I might be on to something...
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOVE greek yogurt! It's SUPER thick, rich and creamy! I always use Fage nonfat 0% greek yogurt and eat it with fruits, smoothies, or even in place of sour cream. Today I put a spoonfull on my taco salad and it was yummers. I also like to add some protein powder to it sometimes, or use it in an ice cream recipe to make some frozen yogurt. Lots of uses for greek yogurt!! Do some research online, you'll find lots of things you can use it for! :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I actually mix mine with a scoop of chocolate protein powder, it's not perfect but it's not too bad.
  • dawLs
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I am so super excited now to try it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I love Oikos the best. Honey is really good. Chiboni pineapple is good, and Fage Honey is the bomb. So I get something from all 3. Yoplait is yummy but not a true Greek Yogurt to much sugar in it. I know someone who doesn't like yogurt but loves the oikos and she eats that now.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I use it many ways but often I use it instead of sour cream.
  • jonesy1028
    jonesy1028 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Chobani bc it has fruit on the bottom. I still look forward to eating it every day at lunch. I have yet to get tired of it.

Another super yummy treat is Lifeway Frozen Keifer. If you like Pinkberry Original Flavor, it tastes just like it!! 1/2 cup is only 90 calories, 1 gram of fat, 4grams of protein, and 15% of you daily calcium. I always pair it with fresh fruit (cherries is my fav) to pump up the serving size.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's thick and creamy, but I find the plain too angy to eat on its own. I use it as a sour cream substitute, also as a partial mayonnaise substitute. I use it as my base for dips and dressing. I have also been making my own Popsicles for the kids, so add a little Greek ougurt for creaminess with blended fruit and freeze. I mix the plain with the fruit flavored, and other fruits, vanilla, and a splash of juice, and make ice cream with it.

It is quite versatile.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I've tried a lot of the bigger brands of the plain or vanilla and honestly I hated them. They tasted like spoiled milk to me. But strangely enough I bought the generic krogers brand of vanilla and it tastes way more tolerable
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. My favorite are Chiobani or Oikos Blueberry, but the Honey ones are also delicious. Completely plain greek yogurt is very tangy and as others said, easily used as a substitute for sour cream and I also use it to tone down homemade indian food that I used too much curry in, cools it right down. Have you ever had Tzatziki (greek yogurt sauce w/garlic & cucumbers?), thats made with greek yogurt as it's base and its one of my favorite things ever.

My boyfriend is greek and of the commercial brands he & his mom (she is the most amazing cook) use the plain Fage brand if they can't get to the local international market.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I WASNT a huge yogurt fan, there were some I could tolerate, but finding Dannon Okios was great ! I like the vanilla but my fav are fruit on the bottom, black cherry etc. YUM. tastes like cheesecake :) Some people like hte Chobani brand, I didnt for whatever reason, but really like the Dannon.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. See, I really like sour cream!
    I think I might be on to something...

I often use it in place of sour cream now. I'm not a huge fan of plain greek yogurt by itself, but I like the vanilla flavored and generally add fruit to it.

It's much thicker than regular yogurt.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it by itself - but I do add it to smoothies, make overnight oats with it, and use it in place of both mayo and sour cream. I've used it for tuna, but I am also hoping to try to make a potato salad with it too (trying to find the right ingredients, so haven't done it yet). I will occasionally add fruit to it for a little snack, and squeeze some lemon or lime juice in it. I usually buy The Greek Gods brand. They have plain, honey (which I will eat by itself - its amazing!) and I think strawberry. I am pretty sure they only have it in the bigger tubs, but it is well worth it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the cheap Greek yogurts (Yoplat is one of them). They add cheap modified corn starch to thicken regular yogurt instead of straining off the whey. The ingredients in a plain Greek yogurt should be milk and cultures, that's it. Chobani and Fage are my favorites.
  • dawLs
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!
    I tried it and I love it.
    At first I was eating it with berries and then I was like "Dang, I like this by itself! Screw the berries."
    My mind is already reeling with many different ways I can use it.
    Yay :)
  • livetothebeatYOLO
    Options
    Use plain greek yogurt INSTEAD of sour cream, that's what I do!! Love love love it.
    I add it to refried beans, taco sald, and use it for marinades and indian food!
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love non fat plain greek yogurt. In fact, I have to be careful or I can binge on it big time - yes just plain old non fat plain. I buy whatever is on sale and just add cinnamon most of the time. Sometimes I add frozen fruit. Sometimes I freeze it in little cups. I also like to cut an apple into slices and use the yogurt as a dip. I have put it in the blend with frozen bananas or mangoes to make faux ice cream. Sometimes I raw nuts to it. Like I said, I'll eat any brand, but my favorites are fage and voskos.