HELP

Options
Hi everyone I need some helpful tips, I am starting to hit a plateu I believe. I have not lost a single pound this week. It is really bothering me. I feel so ashamed that I have not lost any weight. I usually lose 3 or more lbs a week. I am taking in 1200 to 1400 calories a day, Walking and swimming when i get the chance. I just dont know what more to do. If anyone could please help me I would appreciate it. Send me a friends request also if you would like. I sure could use the extra support! :)

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks before worrying about it.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Zigzag your calories to keep your body guessing. So one day do 1200, the next day 1500, etc. If you eat almost the same amount every single day your body gets used to it. Also maybe throw in a little strength training? Start off with 2 days a week. You can do push ups, squats, planks, etc. Get a pair of handweights and do some tricep and back exercises. A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat and burns way more calories to maintain. Also take your measurements. Sometimes you lose inches before pounds. So if you are bummed out that the scale is the same, you might measure your hips, waist, etc, and find out that they are smaller! :) Try not to get discouraged! You are doing great :D
  • iwork4pepsi
    Options
    That sucks!! I know it will happen to me at some point. I'm not looking forward to it at all! I hope you get some good suggestions here and they work. It will benefit you and I, when I hit one. I've got no suggestions as I've never tried to lose weight before. I'll be praying for you, that's all I can do... Steve
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I hit a plateau for a long time, and I realized that I was underestimating my calories by A LOT. For instance I was logging in my apples as 90 calories on MFP instead of actually weighing them. After I bought a food scale and started weighing them, I realized that they were in fact around 200 cals. I did the same thing with sweet potatoes, and I was off by 300 calories!! That stuff adds up, I would definitely invest in a food scale.

Also, I agree with an above poster, that I wouldn't start worrying about it for a couple weeks. During my weight loss journey of losing 80lbs, I would lose 4 lbs some weeks, and none others. You are probably fine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, one week is not a plateau, that's just normal variation. Weight loss isn't linear - you might lose more one week and less the next. That is normal and can be due to hormones, monthly changes, the kinds of foods you been eating, the exercise you've been doing etc.....

So, what to do? I suggest that you keep eating well (don't cut calories too low, that's not a good long term strategy) and exercising (not obsessively, that' doesn't help either) and give it time.