Would you like to upsize that?

Options
vesperpt
vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
SO. I went to the mall this evening to shop for a dress for a wedding I'll be attending this month. That was an adventure all on it's own. However!

As usual, I called my boyfriend before I left the mall to see if he would like me to pick up anything. Whether it be some socks, a drink, a snack, deoderant, you name it. He doesn't drive so I do this often if I'm out and about by myself. He hmmmed and hawwed and decided he would love it if I picked him up a cinnamon bun from Cinzeo.

I toddled over there with my bags to grab him a treat and decided on my way over I would splurge and get myself a mini one - which is about 240 calories and about 1/3 of the size of the regular. I ordered one regular and one mini, at which the gentleman behind the counter raised his eyebrows, and replied with "Seriously?? Only 65 cents more and you get a regular sized one. Are you SURE you want the smaller size?".

However much this was a test to my willpower, I still took the smaller size. But lately I find I'm being pressured out and about to eat more. My friends and family bring larger servings of things to me, I've been getting pressured to go to the buffet, and everywhere I go I feel judged for getting the smaller serving of anything,

Where do all of you find you're the most pressured when it comes to this kind of thing? How do you deal with it?

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I eat out so rarely that I don't have to worry about it. When I do go out, I order the same thing almost every time. I'm a creature of habit. Regardless, the person taking my order questions it every time.

Me: I'd like a side orange chicken salad, no croutons or dressing, and water please.
    Storeperson: what dressing would you like? We have light ranch, ceasar...
    Me: No dressing.
    Storeperson with shocked expression: No dressing?
    Me: Orange Chicken salad, no dressing, no croutons, with water.
    Storeperson: Would you like to make it a meal for abc more cents?
    Me: No, I don't want a meal. I want a side salad without dressing or croutons, and I want a drink of water.
    Storeperson: erm uh (mumble mumble) Anything else?
    Me (somewhat exasperated) : Nothing else. Just the crouton-free chicken salad, light dressing, and water please.

So basically, I repeat myself to make sure the order is correct, every time they ask me a question. Sometimes it takes longer for them to get it, sometimes it doesn't. It annoys me but oh well, at least they can't say I didn't tell them what I want!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Being assertive in these situations helps. If I'm getting a coffee it's "Just a large skim cappuccino", emphasis on the 'just'. Should a waiter fail to understand my very clear order I repeat it once and then ask for a more competent member of the waitstaff to deal with our table. Some people say I'm mean, but really, who wants to be bullied into eating more than makes them feel comfortable?