New Progress - 1/2 Marathon, 4 weeks of Insanity

Options
2»

Replies

• oviedom81
    oviedom81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You llok great. Don't even worry about the scale. Your body is losing inches and you are gaining muscle and remember muscle weighs more then fat. Your body is molding and shaping. Keep it up
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply with such kind words!

It's been a tough 4 weeks with Shaun T, but I am determined to complete it and then transition into training for another half marathon in Savannah this fall.

For what it's worth, for both the half marathon and Insanity, I printed out the schedule/training plan for each and stuck them on the fridge.

For the running, I would use a green highlighter to mark the runs I completed, along with the average pace I ran. If I missed a run, it got marked out in RED :(

For Insanity, I am doing the same thing, but tracking calories burned since I finally picked up a HRM with a chest strap.
  • MNchick
    Options
    That's amazing! well done - did you run the whole way? I'd love to train for a half next year but worried about running for that long!

I did not run the whole way. My running partner (who was wayyy more experience than I was) used/uses the Galloway method, which is a run/walk method. We started with a 9:1 (minute) ratio and after mile 10 went to a 4:2 ratio.

If you find a good training plan, and stick to it...YOU WILL BE FINE! Just remember, you will have good running days and bad running days...you just need to keep pushing through. I had a hard time understanding somedays how I could run 8 miles and not have a problem, but on a 4 mile run, it was like pulling teeth! On those days, I wasn't always able to commit to the pace printed on the training plan, but I remained dedicated to the distance.

Good luck!
  • GoingFor7
    GoingFor7 Posts: 6
    Options
    Awesome job! The pics are a testament to your great work!

From experience, I know exactly what you mean about the good and bad running days. 12 years ago I lost 65 pounds and started doing full marathons. Even when running at those distances, there were days when I'd set out to do 5 or 6 miles and felt dead halfway through. I stopped running years ago due to an injury and put 40 pounds back on, so I am in the process of doing it all over again with the hopes of running another marathon in October.

One tip I can give you is that what happens 2 days before a big run is VERY important-- in other words, if you have a half marathon on Sunday, make sure Friday night is complete rest and good nutrition. Try that with some of the other shorter runs as well. When you have a bad run, examine what you did a couple days before and see if there's a pattern.
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    That sounds like a good way to do it. Looking forward to it now I know I can take breathers! I'm doing the C25K at the moment and it's going quite well. Marathon next! :op
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great pictures! Great results! I'm training for my second half marathon. It's in Jan. My time in the first one was 2:46.37. Almost what you got. I'm hoping to beat it by about 46 minutes. :bigsmile:
  • MNchick
    Options
    Great pictures! Great results! I'm training for my second half marathon. It's in Jan. My time in the first one was 2:46.37. Almost what you got. I'm hoping to beat it by about 46 minutes. :bigsmile:

Wow! Good for you!
    I'm hoping for about 2:20:00 in Savannah...if I get done sooner, YAY ME!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!