Need some help with a christmas present

Options
I need some helping finding some hard to find fabric for a christmas present for my boyfriend's sister. I need to find my little pony fleece fabric, two yards of it, to make her a blanket (she's a my little pony freak) I've looked EVERYWHERE to find this fabric and cannot find it. I would LOVE to have this design if I could find it

http://www.nebraskaantiques.com/imagesfabric/TRAIN LIL P PRIN/P1210034.JPG

but I'll take whatever I can get, but it has to be fleece, not cotton fabric. If anyone has seen any or knows where I can get any PLEASE let me know. Thank you for your help. And yes I'm thinking Christmas early, but I've got to hand sew around all those ponies etc for this blanket, and I'm making a blanket for his dad as well (no it's not my little pony for him lol, it's the army logo with eagles around it)

Replies

• muggsmom
    muggsmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Why don't you buy it from this site?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    This is a little cheaper and a different print than the one you have shown. Yes, why don't you buy the one from Nebraska Antiques? Do they not have a big enough cut?

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/My-Little-Pony-on-Pink-Fleece-Fabric-Celebrity-Prints_stcVVproductId114647971VVcatId539032VVviewprod.htm

Another site someone mentioned that they had some at Joann. I didn't see any online but you might check in person at a store, you never know what they might carry and it's pretty easy to find 40% off coupons.

It also might be possible to find a "blanket kit" with some fabric in it, have you seen the ones that want you to cut all around the outside of the fleece and cut the two layers together? I've seen lots of those with licensed characters that I haven't seen in fabric on the bolt.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Both of those sites are actually sold out, hence why I can't buy them from that site. The few fabric stores around here I'm going to check out this weekend.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Oh shoot! What kind of pattern are you making? I'm just curious :)
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    What I do is i get 2 yards of a patterned fleece, then put quilt batting underneath it, then another layer of a solid color fleece to match the top layer, then I hand quilt around the design on the top fleece. So with the pones it would be around the ponies, the trees etc, through all three layers. Then I bring up the extra length of the edges of the bottom fleece (I get it about half a yard longer to compensate) and then role it up and make a binding/edging out of it, and sew it down and make a blanket. My boyfriend loves mine to death that I made for myself (he's gettng a star wars one) as it's super warm and snuggly. I've made one for everyone in my family, my dad has a michigan one, my mom a loon one, my grandfather has a deer one. They love them as for people with arthritis it keeps them warm since I layer up so much with the fleece and batting.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Oh that sounds really cool! I'd love to see a picture if you want to share. Is it really hard to hand quilt through 3 thick layers? I'm a quilting moderator on a crafting forum, but not a hand quilter at all, I hold that in such high esteem!

Hmm, have you ever tried it with a higher loft batting and flannel instead of fleece? Would that give the same effect at all? Not sure if flannel print would be any easier to find though.

heehee, since you're making a nerdy-ish quilt for your boyfriend, had to show you the Spock quilt I made for mine! :D

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401635.msg4799488#msg4799488
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Oh wow that quilt is amazing! It can be tough to quilt through all three layers since fleece is such a fluffy full fabric. I mainly use my fingers to feel if the needle went through or not, sooo my fingers look really bad for a few weeks after I finish one lol. I'm not sure how flannel would do on this as I like the blankets because they are so soft and warm, it might work, I just know flannel at least to me is not as soft as this stuff. Here is some pictures of what I do. I used to make a bunch of these for soldiers and would ship them overseas to them in Iraq. The link below is a lot of the blankets I did. Not all of them are up there, I did a tinkerbell one, and a few others, but you get the idea. I didn't do the afghans, I can't knit or crochet to save my life.

http://photobucket.com/images/covers of courage/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ28

I know it's hard to see on the photos but what I would do is outline the imagines, like the hunter with the dog, I went around them, and it would make them poof up a bit more. But that's what I do. You can see how I bring the edges of the back up to make the finished blanket etc.
  • maremare312
    Options
    That's really cool, what a fun technique! The edges look really nicely finished!
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Thanks it's hard but I used to do hand quilting on ye old regular quilts lol. So I just threw that into and said why can't I just handsew the binding by rolling up the edge, saves wasting fabric and it gives it a nice transition to the back as well. I'll have to show the Army one when I'm done. I'm going to look for its backing fleece tomorrow when I check for the my little pony fleece. At this point I'll even taking finding a regular pony blanket and turning it into a thicker blanket.