elliptical trainer

Options
I am thinking about getting an elliptical trainer. I know nothing about them and would like some feedback on what to look for - and what to stay away from. It seems like a great training tool. I have a hard time with running. My feet are just not strong enough for the constant pounding. I had a treadmill that I used daily for 6 months and then got shin splints. Ouch! It seems as though the elliptical might be a little easier on the feet and knees. Your thoughts please!

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like to use the elliptical at the gym due to my history of plantar fasciitis. It is a Precore and I really like it. You can spend from a few hundred to several thousand dollars on an elliptical, so your price range can vay a lot. The main thing I think would be to look at a consumer review site.
    Just some general info: http://www.smoothfitness.com/buying-guides/elliptical-buying-guide-new.htm?infinity=gaw~Elliptical+US+ENG+SPART~Elliptical Review~12400450227~elliptical machine reviews~b&gclid=CNGWzLWItLECFQ8KKgodBVwAWw

From consumersearch.com
    http://www.consumersearch.com/elliptical-trainers

You can see that those go from 600 to 4500 bucks.

Looking at my consumer reports online, looks like the cheapest one they recommend is 1400

Features & Specs - Smooth CE 3.6

Chest strap included
    Indicates whether or not a chest-strap heart-rate monitor is included as a standard feature.
    Chest strap included Yes

Resistance levels
    Indicates how many settings exist to adjust the resistance.
    Resistance levels 16

Stride length settings
    Indicates how many settings exist to adjust the stride length.
    Stride length settings 1

Incline levels
    Indicates how many settings exist to adjust the incline.
    Incline levels 1

Magazine rack
    Magazine rack indicates whether the elliptical has a shelf for reading material which can be read while exercising.
    Magazine rack No

Multi-grip handgrips
    Indicates whether the moving arms have handgrips that allow for multiple handgrip positions.
    Multi-grip handgrips No

Standard power supply
    Indicates the type of electrical power used to run the elliptical.
    Standard power supply 120 VAC

Operational footprint -- LxW (in.)
    Operational footprint Indicates the minimum area required for a machine to operate, not including space needed for mounting or dismounting the machine.
    Operational footprint -- LxW (in.) 75L x 26W

Weight (lbs.)
    Indicates the gross weight of the machine including packaging. A footnote of "1" next to the model name in the Ratings table indicates the net weight; machine only.
    Weight (lbs.) 192

Mike
  • Dragonflybjm63
    Options
    I'm not a fan but i do understand they are a good cal burner. you could try hiring before buying to see if its what you really want to invest in
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info Mike.

@ Thetwomacs. Thanks for the input. I think I may go to the YMCA for a month or so and use theirs to see if it is something I really want to invest in.