Hypothyroid anyone?

Options
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I guess I will start with some history. I am a female, age 33. A year ago I ran a marathon at 140 pounds. I became depressed a few months after and my Dr. put me on prozac. I stayed on it for almost a year when what seemed like out of the blue I became severely depressed and lethargic, and within three months, my weight shot up to 170 pounds. I went back to my Dr to find out I was hypothyroid. That was four months ago. My thyroid levels are stable but the weight has not budged. Its hard to run in this fat suit. I feel every step I take. I am running my slowest ever. I often wonder if I will ever loose the weight. I did lose three pounds not long ago. I removed all carbs and exercised an hour a day. It took me two weeks. I gained it back the next week. I am so close to giving up, but I have never been a quitter and I decided to give it one last shot so I am here doing that. I woner if there are others here with the same issue.

Replies

• Dre2112
    Dre2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Runraira - I also was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I found out last year about a month before I got pregnant. Now six months post partum, I am having a difficult time with getting rid of the pre AND post baby weight. I completely understand your frustration. I am trying to do some reseach on hypothyroid and am getting conflicting answers.

Does anyone out there know if there are certain foods we should avoid and foods that help boost the metabolism for those of us with hypothyroid?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm hypothyroid also, diagnosed last Nov. read my story here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681521-male-6-4-34-50lbs-lost-progress-pix

But as to what foods we should avoid, I didn't have any success until I completely cut out unnecessary fats, starchy foods & veggies (corn & anything with corn as an ingredient is the biggest offender!), also I've replaced all sugars in my meals with stevia sugar. (not Truvia...real stevia).

Take it from me, I know it's very hard to avoid processed foods, but if you can, do it. :) Your body & health will reward you immensely! Good luck!
  • Dre2112
    Dre2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow what an amazing journey! So glad that you were able to overcome and get your health back. Does give me inspiration and motivation. In regards to the elimination of certain foods you mention vegetables...are there other vegatables you do avoid beside corn?

Also would you mind sharing an example of a food journal day?

Thank you!!
  • DianaR13
    DianaR13 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I'm formerly hypothyroid, sort of.
    I want to offer a message of encouragement. I'm 21years old. When I was 15, I weight a very muscular 110 and was preparing for an early send off (at 17, adult age in Texas) for the USMC. That was the leanest I had ever been. A year later, I woke up one morning and just couldn't find the energy to even drag out of bed. I'd get tired walking to classes. I suddenly couldn't keep up in JROTC, something unheard of to me at that point in time; I was a star JROTC NCO. Then, the weight started packing on. I was nearly 200lbs before I thought maybe I should see a doctor. (FYI: I'm 5 feet tall; according to all my physicians, my healthy weight range is 95-105lbs). Doctors ran bloodwork, and there it was, thyroid levels nonexistent: I had hypothyroidism. That coupled with spinal abnormalities threw me out of the running for the Marine Corps. It took a year of thyroid treatment, then 3 of estrogen treatment to get back to normal. But my thyroid is the only thing thats normal. My doctors all told me once my thyroid corrected, everything would be back the way it was. Its a good thing my insurance pays them, because after that, I wouldn't!
    Its going to take a lot of hard work. But none of us should give up. We all have it in us to do great things for ourselves and even for other people. I'm asking you all, because I know how hard it is and how you probably won't post how difficult it is, to never give up. It's been 5 long years before I went from 183-150, and now 140. I've fought hard for every pound. And I'm only going to fight harder. And I urge you all to fight just as hard as me. Hypothyroid is a bump in the road. Keep up the good work and keep working hard and never for once second guess your abilities.