Normal to lose weight this fast?

Options
Howdy folks,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
Joshua
MyFitnessPal Forum Staff

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've been on a strict diet/fast for the last week or so and I'm losing pretty fast. I'm an eighteen year old girl, 5'10", and my starting weight was right at 130, and I'm currently 112lbs.

My goal weight is 105lbs, and I'm wondering if losing the weight so quickly won't last very long like it's a phase of dropping the inital first fat or if I'll achieve my goal quicker than I thought.
    At the weight now you are under weight, and at 105 you'll be very under weight.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    You say you have lost 18 lbs in one week !!!!
    I would say that's far too much too soon, starving yourself aint gonna help in the long run.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You've lost 18lbs in one week!

Whilst your first week of dieting normally will be the largest drop in weight, with water loss accounting for most of it.

18lbs is a hell of a lot to lose in one week, for someone of your size, you need to be careful, this does not sound healthy or particularly safe to me.

You need to slow down and take your time, what's the rush, and be sure that your goal weight is right, as well.

It sounds quite light for someone of your height.
  • AtteindreKate
    Options
    I gained a bit of weight when I was hospitalized for a rib that busted into my liver, so I need to lose it fast before I go crazy. I'm way too fat.
  • chrissydrske
    chrissydrske Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what hav u been eating and u only suppose to lose 2 pounds a week.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I gained a bit of weight when I was hospitalized for a rib that busted into my liver, so I need to lose it fast before I go crazy. I'm way too fat.

If you really truly have lost that much weight in a week, you might want to reconsider your caloric intake. Even if what you lost is fat, your body is probably thinking you don't have access to food, so when you start feeding it a normal amount again, it will immediately store all of those calories as fat, so you'll gain it all back. If you continue eating such a small amount, you really risk hurting your heart, liver, kidneys, etc. like serious, permanent damage hurt. There is no way to lose weight that fast permanently, safely. If there was, no one would be fat.
  • rusialeelee
    rusialeelee Posts: 143
    Options
    So.. your BMI is 16 right now. Anything below 18 is considered anorexic. Model agencies legally can not hire anyone with a BMI of under 18. If you go down to your goal of 105lb, you will have a BMI of 15. Be careful you don't fall into bad habits of not eating............. there's years of psychological treatments waiting for you if you go down that road.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    5'10 and 112 is certainly not fat, could a very restrictive diet be the reason you ended up with broken ribs too, undereating can lead to loss of bone density
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am just over 5'10" and quite some time ago I weighed 135. I looked sickly and was constantly asked whether I had an eating disorder (far cry from today, but that's neither here nor there). Every body is different and blah, blah, blah, but I can tell you without any further information that 105 pounds is NOT a healthy goal weight for someone of your height.

To address your question, no, I don't think that's normal, nor do I think you need to be losing any weight at all.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Please understant that as a community we are here for you to support you and help you to be your healthiest. That in mind, I totally agree with all of the other comments. It sounds like you are risking hurting yourself and may I ask, what is it that makes you want to be down to 105? I am 5'2" and my ideal weight range would be 110-120...Your health should take priorety over your weight or dress size or just about anything else.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Although you think you are fat, with those stats, it's seems almost impossible that you are.

Go and see a doctor and discuss how you feel with them, they will make a professional assessment of you, and deal with any issues that you need to deal with.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I just think that you perception of your weight is not accurate, and seeing a professional may help you to see this, or if I am wrong, they will clarify your beliefs, so there's not really a lose situation from going to see somebody.
  • benita30
    benita30 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you have been fasting for a week, its understandable that you've lost a lot of weight in the first week (granted a large part of it could be water weight).

Losing fat via fasting however, is not healthy for your body, and chances are you'll gain the weight back as soon as you stop fasting and return to your regular diet.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I suggest you see a doctor. It is quite obvious from the nature of your posts and your weight that you are anorexic, and to aim for 105 at your height (which is also my height) is utterly ridiculous. Do you want a lifetime of hospitals and health issues while living slips you by? If so, carry right on.
  • benita30
    Options
    I suggest you see a doctor. It is quite obvious from the nature of your posts and your weight that you are anorexic, and to aim for 105 at your height (which is also my height) is utterly ridiculous. Do you want a lifetime of hospitals and health issues while living slips you by? If so, carry right on.

I don't think you can deem her anorexic just because of her stats . . .
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

"so I need to lose it fast before I go crazy. I'm way too fat."

Oh really? She is 5'10 and 112 Ibs and considers herself fat... Having had anorexia myself. I kind of know what I am talking about here.
  • benita30
    Options

"so I need to lose it fast before I go crazy. I'm way too fat."

Oh really? She is 5'10 and 112 Ibs and considers herself fat... Having had anorexia myself. I kind of know what I am talking about here.

Thats irrelevant whether you've had anorexia. Everyone's different, and just because she could have self esteem issues doesn't mean she has an eating disorder, and you're in no position to tell her that she has one.
  • jaymartin1978
    jaymartin1978 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'10 you don't need to lose anymore weight. I am not sure why you want to be 105 if you are 5'10 but you should probably consult with your doctor before losing anymore weight. What are you doing to lose weight so quickly?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow.......
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Ehhhhh...don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should talk to a doctor. This has "eating disorder" written all over it...

Edit: A good point has been made. If not an eating disorder (though I really dislike the practice of fasting), then certainly a major body image problem...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Maybe you can't deem her anorexic because of her stats, but you sure as heck can say she has a body image problem and is WAY under weight for her height. Also, MFP frowns on fasting and other unhealthy weight loss regimes. Someone probably has already reported this post for that reason, so it won't be here for long.
This discussion has been closed.