Non-paleo foods that are "not so bad"

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Except most tubers have been cultivated away from their natural states by humans for centuries...the Mayans actually were able to change potatoes from poisonous to edible. Before that, nobody ate them. (potatoes are members of the nightshade family) just goes to show... Nothing we eat is really "paleo" because food is so drastically different.

^^^this is it...NOTHING we it is truly paleo.....well stated :)
    So true. Humans have also been eating wheat, corn and other grains for thousands of years.

As for the "sweet potato (that's how we spell potatoes in the States)" guy -- huh? We spell singular potato and plural potatoes.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Except most tubers have been cultivated away from their natural states by humans for centuries...the Mayans actually were able to change potatoes from poisonous to edible. Before that, nobody ate them. (potatoes are members of the nightshade family) just goes to show... Nothing we eat is really "paleo" because food is so drastically different.

^^^this is it...NOTHING we it is truly paleo.....well stated :)

I try to eat as much free range mammoth as I can.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Real paleo would be charred meat and berries right? Tasty.

And grubs. Don't forget the grubs.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ditto caribougal - I think Mark's Daily Apple has a pretty level-headed take on these things.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Pre history humans were lucky to make 30...why are we so intent on assuming they had it right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol at this thread

Basically every food, other than ones containing moderate to large amounts of synthetic trans fats are not so bad. Only in the silly paleo world do they demonize perfectly healthy foods
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You just called potatoes and beans evil. I don't like you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? Time to get over this food demonization complex and move on with your life.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

But think of the reduction in global warming if everyone stopped eating these gassy foods!!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options

But think of the reduction in global warming if everyone stopped eating these gassy foods!!

by this logic men are more to blame for global warming than women... you know... since we never fart
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about the different "bad" foods..... namely corn, wheat, beans, rice, and white potatoes? I realize they are not Paleo, and I try with all my might to avoid them, but are there varying degrees of evilness?

Lol, you just named all of the staple foods of where I live. Well, wheat less than others, but definitely corn, rice, beans, and potatoes. And everything cooked with oil, if not fried. The population seems to be generally pretty fit.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

by this logic men are more to blame for global warming than women... you know... since we never fart

I would have thought that this was a valid point but then I got married.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet is one of the silliest fad diets I've seen in awhile.

Let's go back to the way our ancestors ate! Now excuse me whileI jump into my new Escalade and drive to the gym and then I shall drive to the store to "gather" my paleo diet.

I eat rice, potatoes, wheat, and all those "evil" foods all the time. I'm still losing weight and my health is fan-freaking-tastic.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Pre history humans were lucky to make 30...why are we so intent on assuming they had it right?

Exactly!

If you were 50 you were probably the village elder.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Pre-history humans also tended to get eaten by wild animals more often than we do now. And an infected tooth could be fatal, since there were no dentists.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options

544698_242111305902879_440043791_n.jpg
  • mandelea
    mandelea Posts: 27
    Options
    How did this thread get so derailed and unhelpful for the original poster?

I eat very close to paleo, because it woks for me (key word being 'me'). Try taking some foods out of your diet, and reintroducing them, listen to your body and pay attention to how it reacts, and choose from there. Example, it's rommnded that I eat meat at every meal, but my digestive system doesn't like it. It also says eggs in moderation, but I eat them daily for protein (my LDL levels are good, and cholesterol doesn't run in my family). On the other hand, I cut gluten out, reintroduced it, and I felt like I was dying. Gluten out, check.

Don't do a paleo diet because everyone else does, do what's right for your body (this also goes for those not eating paleo, it works for them).

Good luck!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    <snip>

If we are talking silly fad diets then the 'low fat, calories in/out, a calorie is a calorie diet' has to take the biscuit.

And the less said about the merits of the life expectancy argument the better.

On topic: Cheese isn't strictly Paleo but I tolerate it and enjoy it. As I do premium ice cream, I just don't go nuts with it. Unlike nuts which I do go nuts over.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    How did this thread get so derailed and unhelpful for the original poster?

I eat very close to paleo, because it woks for me (key word being 'me'). Try taking some foods out of your diet, and reintroducing them, listen to your body and pay attention to how it reacts, and choose from there. Example, it's rommnded that I eat meat at every meal, but my digestive system doesn't like it. It also says eggs in moderation, but I eat them daily for protein (my LDL levels are good, and cholesterol doesn't run in my family). On the other hand, I cut gluten out, reintroduced it, and I felt like I was dying. Gluten out, check.

Don't do a paleo diet because everyone else does, do what's right for your body (this also goes for those not eating paleo, it works for them).

Good luck!

And good luck to you.

We are all, as you say, different.

Personally I'm never going back to grains because I know I'll feel like rubbish.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    <snip>

If we are talking silly fad diets then the 'low fat, calories in/out, a calorie is a calorie diet' has to take the biscuit.

because cavemen knew how to beat the laws of thermodynamics right?