Am I crazy?

Options
ahmommy
ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
My husband seems to think I'm setting myself up for failure. I should be getting the 30 day shred DVD in the mail later today and I'm planning to start it tonight. He said he doesn't think I'll stick with it, but then said to prove him wrong. I told him that's not good motivation for me :( Later he said something that makes me think he thinks I should start at a more basic level and work my way up to the DVD.

I am 5 months postpartum, and I haven't done any strenuous exercise since before I got pregnant, over a year ago. Am I being overly ambitious in going straight to the shred?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1) Diet is KEY above all else. Spend 10x more time and effort into learning about food vs exercise.

2) go for it. The MOST important thing is not how hard it is, but that every time you exercise, you build on it and try and do more. If you can't do a single pushup, meh, who cares. Thats FINE. Do pushups with your hands on a smith machine to increase your body angle (reduces the force needed to do the movement) and slowly increase your reps and lower the bar until you are able to do regular pushups. Same with any movement. Training my friend she went from only 5 bodyweight squats to now doing 15 with the bar on her shoulders in under 3 months. Shes going to start adding weight to the bar now, and working her way up to being able to squat with a bar on her shoulders that weighs as much as her. THIS is the key, linear progression.

So do NOT worry about how out of shape you are, or how weak you are when you start. ONLY worry about improving on the last time you exercised. Either with more resistance, more reps, or both.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    ^^^ this

Believe me, the first time I did the 30DS I was half dead after I was finished. But it was such a great feeling knowing that I've done it! My exercise level was next to none, but I've done it as well! So you better prove that husband of yours wrong!! :smile:
    YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My first initial response to the title was "yes!" But I say that to everyone. :)

On a serious note, the 30 day shred is amazing! I've been dong it for a few days and the first time I did it I could only do 10 minutes before I felt like dieing. Now I can do the whole first level, still feel like dieing but hey i can at least finish it! You build up to it. Don't stress so much. Make better food decisions and exercise. And if you screw up every now and again don't beat yourself up, the added stress sucks.

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    just do it.
  • ahmommy
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm near my goal weight already (within 5 lbs) so I'm using the workout to tone and shift weight from flab to muscle, at least that's my goal. I do have my settings to lose 1lb per week right now also.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Do what he says and prove him wrong. :happy:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Everyone laughed at me when I told them I was going to start a diet and lose weight, but here I am 55lbs later. Who is laughing now?
    Prove him wrong!
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    do it once, and it will be 30 minutes more exercise than had you never tried it = win. If you like it, keep going. If you find you stop doing it, try something else and sell the dvd to someone else. You still get 30 minutes exercise done, and that's not crazy in my books.
  • youngmum
    Options
    * 20 minutes I should say :wink:
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself and do it for you. Not to prove anything to him, but to prove your self confidence right!

As a side note, my BFF got the 30 Day Shred at about 6 months postpartum (she gained 70lbs during her pregnancy and only lost 30 in the first 6 months) and it was tough, but she loved it. It totally revved her up and is doing very well with it!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    do it, even if you suck, at least you are doing it, and one up on the person that is not doing it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    He said he doesn't think I'll stick with it, but then said to prove him wrong. I told him that's not good motivation for me :( Later he said something that makes me think he thinks I should start at a more basic level and work my way up to the DVD.

Pardon me but that husband of yours needs to pull his head out of his *kitten* for talking to his wife like that. No spouse is supposed to be negative to the other like that, no excuse.

If he thinks that is a positive way to motivate you, (I dont know), then I wonder how comfy the couch is...lol!

You need to put that man in his place for talking to you like that.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Only you can determine if you need to consider starting from the beginning or whereever you are comfortable with.

In a more proactive manner, it might be best to start from the beginning of the shred as it will 'prepare' you much better.

When you lose the weight, and he starts to notice - remind him of his jackassery from the beginning and make sure he knows "goes to prove how wrong you were"

You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • campervangirl
    campervangirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You've just motivated me to try to - help! :bigsmile: Add me as a friend if you like - anyone else like to join in?
  • lushgreenapple
    Options
    I am also doing the 30 Day Shred and mixing it up with Banish fat Boost Metabolism and Jackie Warner's Xtreme time saver. It helps to mix it up and keep your body guessing otherwise it will fall into a rut and stop using energy I also brisk walk on the treadmill every day for 30 minutes to get some cardio in.

I can't run on the treadmill, but I am not giving up. I believe every calorie you burn counts. My husband also made similar statements when I started on this weight loss journey. I have 30 pounds to lose. But I just ignored him. I always ignore when he makes negative comments and not it let it affect me. What matters is your motivation, your will to lose and get your body into shape. I love working out to Jillian! Good luck.
  • iannalise
    iannalise Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shove the DVD in the player and do what you can, remember your not meant to complete it and find it easy otherwise there would be no room for improvement. Think about what you can do from it and try to manage just a little more next time. All exercise is good no matter how brief.

I seen a quote on here that I loved, it's now printed out and stuck on the wall where I do my insanity DVDs, it may help you as well . . .

DEAD LAST
    Is heater than
    DID NOT FINISH
    Which trumps
    DID NOT START

Good luck!!!
  • youngmum
    Options
    * 20 minutes I should say :wink:
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    You absolutly CAN do it!

I'm on level 3, day 9, so nearly finished. My first day on level 1 nearly killed me! :laugh: but I stuck with it and was amazed at how well I could do in time.

Don't push yourself too hard to start with, remember you're doing this for YOU not your husband. Don't overdo it just to prove a point to him! Good luck and enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • ahmommy
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! My husband is very supportive in general, and I was surprised when he said he didn't think I would stick with it. Based on his comments later in the day, I think it's more that he feels like I would be more successful if I didn't jump straight into it and started with a less intense workout to build up my endurance before jumping into the shred.

If the DVD does arrive today, I'm going to give it a shot. If I absolutely cannot manage it, I might back off, build up my endurance some, and then go back to it. Or I might just push through. I guess it partially depends on exactly how much pain I'm in tomorrow!
  • ahmommy
    Options
    Another question - if my goal is to tone up, build muscle, and lose fat, should I maintain my calories in a deficit, or go to maintenance levels? I don't want to thwart my efforts to gain muscle by eating at a deficit, but I don't want to thwart my efforts to lose fat either.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Since you're getting near your goal weight, I'd suggest going to 1/2lb a week and not worry too much if you go over a bit. Oh, and make sure you're getting enough protein.
    As for the 30DS, I have yet to try it. MaYbe I should make some space ;-)