Can you do crunches sitting down?!

Options
My stomach is one of my main problem areas. I look like I've been pregnant with seventeen sets of quadruplets in the past year or so.

I work in an office for about 11 hours a day (and I do go to the gym during lunch hour 3ish times a week plus most Saturdays and I'm trying my very best to convince myself to do the 30 Day Shred every day - so far managed it 3 times in 8 days haha) but I'd like to know if there are any stomach exercises I can do whilst sitting at my desk?

Actually, can you do any toning exercises at the desk targetting any area of the body? My office isn't the type of place you can do bending over and spinning around in the chair or things like that so any sort of thing where I can subtly tone up would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Replies

• LiterOCola
    LiterOCola Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping, because this is a great idea if something works!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You can try scooting to the edge of your chair, grip the sides, lean back and lift your legs up, keeping them straight. Try holding it as long as you can. Or, keep your feet on the ground as you sit at the edge. you can cross your arms over your chest, lean back and crunch in your seat.
  • lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options
    Not sure about crunches but toning and strengthening your legs sit on your chair extend both legs infront of you ( under the desk and no one will notice ) Then alternate each foot and tap your toes on the floor. We do this at bootcamp lying flat, sitting is not as effective but as soon as youve done 20 ish you will feel the pull in your legs and stomach in controlling the movement and keeping it smooth and slow.
    Any other ideas people have would be great :-)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Crunches are useless. IMO.
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    Not sure about crunches but toning and strengthening your legs sit on your chair extend both legs infront of you ( under the desk and no one will notice ) Then alternate each foot and tap your toes on the floor. We do this at bootcamp lying flat, sitting is not as effective but as soon as youve done 20 ish you will feel the pull in your legs and stomach in controlling the movement and keeping it smooth and slow.

What a great idea! How do you do it lying flat? are your feet raised a few inches or more?
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Good grief this is hard....just tried it.....so hard I ended up grabbing/hitting the desk and spinning across the office on my wheeley chair......good though so will try again......might need to wedge the chair in place!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    you can do them standing up if you want, do bicycle cunches standing up.

Also, the key is Diet
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    bump I sit a lot of my day too
  • lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options

What a great idea! How do you do it lying flat? are your feet raised a few inches or more?

When doing it lying down you legs are more raised not too high but incling upwards slightly. It's hard work but i really feel it in my stomach lying down is even harder i often find myself grabbing the carpet :-)
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am not spinning around on my chair at work.. and I know the key is diet.. hence why I have lost 17 lbs so far. I just want some ideas for toning and strengthening. Crunches work for me so that's why I want more ideas on how I could strengthen my stomach. THanks for the input so far.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    how about just clenching/tighening your muscles .. don't think I'm explaining this very well

staceface519 - explained better below
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ab vacuums can be done seated, just google.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    do ab vacuums.
  • nikki39ryan
    nikki39ryan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Good grief this is hard....just tried it.....so hard I ended up grabbing/hitting the desk and spinning across the office on my wheeley chair......good though so will try again......might need to wedge the chair in place!

Returning for more ideas later! 10 hours at a desk, I need to expend some energy.
  • Amy9293
    Amy9293 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can try scooting to the edge of your chair, grip the sides, lean back and lift your legs up, keeping them straight. Try holding it as long as you can. Or, keep your feet on the ground as you sit at the edge. you can cross your arms over your chest, lean back and crunch in your seat.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    sit on a yoga/exercise ball instead of a chair and you will have to use your core all day to stabilise yourself
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    if you have a spinny chair, you can use your obliques to spin you from side to side
  • staceface519
    staceface519 Posts: 167
    Options
    If you take a half an hour walk (as you should if u sit all day like i do!) . . and while walking clench your stomach muslces for 5-10 seconds and slowly release and keep doing thsi while your walking it helps. . . same thing with your butt. My friend told me this and it works . . . i also do it while im sitting at my desk. . almost like a stomach kegel exercise.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have been wondering the same....

Getting on Google for Ab Vac! :smile: