why do we have bad runs?

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I've had a week of feeling a bit like Usain Bolt (albeit in slow motion)... And then today... Blurgh. Really nasty run. Leaden legs, upset stomach, couldn't speed up at all... just plodded round and flopped in a heap at the end.

Why do these 'bad runs' happen?

Replies

• razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good question. It's like the days where you do everything you can not to go for a run cause you really don't want to do it, finally end up going and end up having a blinder.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Gosh I totally read the title of this post wrong. And now I'm wondering what a usain bolt is.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. Sometimes if you think about all the factors (when you ran, the weather, what and when you ate prior to running) you can figure it out...but I think sometimes a bad run is just a bad run. But a bad run can also be a good thing. If you can push yourself through a bad run then it gives you the confidence to know that you can push even harder on the good days. Also a bad day of running can help you appreciate the good days all that much more.

On another note, also consider how much you're running. Is it possible the bad day is your body telling you that it needs to rest and rebuild?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Because you need a day off?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Gosh I totally read the title of this post wrong. And now I'm wondering what a usain bolt is.

He's the fastest man in the world...

http://usainbolt.com/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Bad runs happen. That's just a fact. Sometimes they have a direct cause, sometimes they don't.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad runs", but rather some runs present a greater challenge than others. The more challenging runs are opportunities to improve. Every run provides a benefit. Embrace every challenge.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    There are no "bad runs", but rather some runs present a greater challenge than others. The more challenging runs are opportunities to improve. Every run provides a benefit. Embrace every challenge.

I need to remember this.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Depending on your training, you might need a day off running.

The bad runs are really good runs. They are reminders to appreciate the good runs and that we need to take care of our bodies.
    As long as you're running, it's a good run.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Love this!! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I have been running 3-4 times a week, and at least one is a bad run. It's usually the shortest one.....probably because I think it should be easy and I'm ready to get it over with. I need to get out of my own head! :frown:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Thanks, now I have to wipe coffee off my monitor! (they need a spit-take smiley... LOL)
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

This is so freaking hokey. Doesn't make it any less true though. Every run is it's own thing, and there is a lesson to be learned every time.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I read 'bad runs' I thought of something else!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

He's the fastest man in the world...

http://usainbolt.com/

Dude. You really didn't know who Usain Bolt was????

Also, I totally thought this post was going to be about diarrhea.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I often wonder the same thing. I usually find that either I need a day off or I took the run out too fast to start.
    My best runs seem to come when the first half mile to mile are a bit below pace until the muscles stretch out and the endorphins get flowing a bit.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My bad runs are usually due to Chipotle. :laugh:

Ok but all seriousness aside, why do you have bad days at work, days where you don't feel like XYZ activity that you usually love. or bad hair days? Because shizz happens. Somedays it all comes together, and somedays you have to force the pieces together as close as they will go, and be happy with what comes out. It's just life :drinker:
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The main reason why my runs are usually bad is because I'm rubbish at running.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I seem to be having a few of these lately legs feel like lead really having to push myself, i get there in the end though so don,t worry too much. I have started lifting in conjunction with my marathon training i am sure my legs will get used to it. I hope anyway.