advise on my exercise regime please

Options
Hi, been reading alot of these post and people's workouts and wonder if I could get some views on my typical workouts and how to spice things up a bit. I'm reasonably fit but not seeing any changes in fitness or shape, I typically exercise 5 x a week doing a mix of these:

Gym (45 min cardio, 15 min mini circuit: squat, free weight, sit ups, star jumps etc)
Walking (typically 90 min)
Run (6 miles 60 min)
30 day shred or fitness dvd or tabata training at home

BTW, I use a HRM, 5ft. 5 and 143lbs

Thanks

Replies

• Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think your routine looks pretty darn good. My suggestion might be to lower the cardio in the gym and add to your circuits. The trainer I had a while back told me he doesn't separate cardio from strength training. He has them all mixed in together. What he handed me for a customized plan involved doing 8 cycles of circuit training. Each cycle takes about 6-8 minutes to complete unless you pause between exercises. Combined...it burns more calories than either done separately. I have also read on the Livestrong website that circuit training burns more calories in far less time than doing either separately. Here's the link with that information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313289-calories-burned-during-full-body-circuit-training/. So, that is what I stick to. I am still working my way up to doing the full four circuits, but try to do the routine 6 times a week...and it kicks my butt! Hope this helps...