Is This Okay...

Options
Ok. My shins are still hurting, which isn't great, and OH is adamant I need a break from the gym (i've had one day off in 11). Personally, I don't want too. I enjoy the gym and feel that if I don't go I'm going to feel fat and horrid and like I'm not doing anything.

So, what if I go to the gym and just walk at a leisurely pace (2.5mph/3mph)

I know it's not a lot, but I'm doing something right?

Is this okay? Do you think?

x

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I would take a day off from the gym.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    why don't you go for a gentle walk with your OH?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Did you look up the info on shin splints I sent you yesterday? If you have them, exercises such as walking/jogging/running will only make it worse unfortunately. Can you do a different exercise that doesn't involve so much impact on your shins? Cycling? Spin Class? Strength training?

If you missed my post, the link was http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your body deserves a rest day! That doesn't mean you have to sit around all day, just don't stress your body out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Did you look up the info on shin splints I sent you yesterday? If you have them, exercises such as walking/jogging/running will only make it worse unfortunately. Can you do a different exercise that doesn't involve so much impact on your shins? Cycling? Spin Class? Strength training?

If you missed my post, the link was http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

THIS! You don't need to skip working out altogether, just find soemthing else to do that's no/low impact. Bike/spin, elliptical, arc trainer, rowing, and/or work on some upper body strengthening. I always seem to walk/run with more impact in the treadmill than I do outside so you could try going for a walk outdoors but if you feel pain, turn around and go home.

And for goodness sakes, read that article that's posted above! Lots of good advice, especially on the shoes bit. If this problem persists, you may even want to go to a speciality shoe store to talk to them about getting a better shoe with more support and cushioning. It may cost more but will be worth it in the end.
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun

Sorry I missed the link - going to take a look now.

I don't think it is shin splints. Walking around the office is fine, its just on that damn treadmill.

x
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ignore me... I always thought shin splints were constant pain.

OH has brought me some ibuprofen, and some ice spray so I'll see if that makes any difference...

Thanks everyone.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I think it is "okay" but not advisable. You absolutely have to give your body some rest or it will start breaking down. During marathon training season I take my Monday rest day seriously as I know I am working even harder than usual and need to let the legs recover. During the rest of the year I take a true rest day once every 10 days or so...but sometimes, when my life gets overwhelmingly busy with kids, job, husband, and other events I might only work out 5-6 days a week for a few weeks straight. I still see great gains in fitness.

I struggle emotionally with the feeling fat and horrid thing as I have a disordered past with exercise and food. If I feel I absolutely have to or.......I know I have to force the rest to keep myself sane...to prove that I won't gain 42,568 lbs by taking a rest day and that I won't self implode from not working out.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here is an exercise I use to deal with shin splints: http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise

OP- If you feel that you really want to go to the gym, go but focus on something other than the treadmill. Throw a mat on the floor and bust out some ab exercises, grab some weights and do some chest flys, go for a swim or take a yoga/pilates class.

Taking a rest day is really beneficial but I can understand the desire not to take one if you are in the mood to go work out.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to rest when you want to work so hard and don't want to lose your momentum. But it will be so much worse if you don't give yourself a rest when you have an injury. And if you absolutely have to, find an alternate exercise. Saw lots of suggestions for you here and on your wall. Hope you will get better soon!