Gained 3lb from soup?!

Options
alpine1994
alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
I made a tuscan veggie soup last night for dinner (and was going to bring some to work today for lunch too) but I gained 3lbs today! I got low sodium broth and didn't put any extra salt in, and carefully calcuated calories to be about 300 per serving. Can you really retain 3lbs of water weight from soup?? :(

Replies

• Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You can definitely retain that much water/food! Don't worry about it. Just drink heaps of water and weigh yourself tomorrow morning on an empty stomach
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I always double up on green tea the day after soup, seems to equal out!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Well, what else did you eat during the day? Without putting too fine a point on it, did you have a regular BM yesterday? You can "gain" that much weight in a single from water retention or a missed BM. Also, TOM?

I can go up and down 3 pounds during the day.

Weigh yourself once a week. Don't worry about the fluctuations in between. Pretty normal for most of us.
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'll bet when you weigh yourself 2 days from now the 3 lbs will be gone. It's the sodium in the soup most likely.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I doubt it would be just the soup. Your body weight fluctuates naturally from day to day (especially if you're a woman, darn hormones) and even during the course of a single day. Don't weigh yourself every day or every few days as you won't get a true picture of your weight loss. Instead, weigh yourself weekly or fortnightly at the same time of day - I do Wednesdays first thing in the morning.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, water is heavy, soup is mainly water, once it passes though you system the weight will go. There's no way you have gained/stored 3lbs of body fat.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Everything else yesterday was normal, if not pretty carby. Today I'm not having soup, and having fewer carbs and more protein, and I'll have a couple cups of green tea and tons of water to try to flush it out.

I know it's not a huge deal, but it just sucks when you put so much time and energy into watching what you eat and exercising just to watch the scale climb back up :(

Thanks for the support!
  • sewhappymomma
    Options
    You are doing great! And I have been told when you workout if you are really sore then those muscles are retaining water. So keep that in mind too. I bet its all just water weight and will go away. :)