Is this Right?

Options
So I edited my planned workout routine to work out 5 days a week at 30 minutes a day, and mfp said I should eat about 2700 calories a day.

Has anyone else eaten this many calories a day and lost eight? This just seems exceedingly high, even for someone like me, being 6'6" and 300 pounds.

I haven't exercised much, but I am to start now. I work at a manufacturing plant and walk around the plant somewhat each day.

I ask because I had my resting metabolic rate measured and it said i should eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week.

I'd appreciate any input because I'm kind of confused. :ohwell:

Thanks.

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a doctor but the more you weigh the more calories you need to consume to loose at first. This site also suggests that you eat back your exercise calories.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am a foot shorter than you and started at 230. With half an hour of exercise I am 1700 per day and I lose 1-2 pounds per week.

I guess I am not sure but am guessing by your height your are male. I am female - do men get more calories?

Try it for a couple weeks - worse case scenario you re-evaluate if you don't lose any weight.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a male. The funny thing is that I tried doing the diet on 1700 calories, from which I learned about by having my RMR measured, and I was ALWAYS hungry.

I just want to make sure that by eating 2700 calories that I will lose weight and not gain it.

EDIT:

Thank you for your input, by the way. I appreciate it.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'd try playing around with it some. First, make sure you're not entering an activity level that's higher than what it should be. If that does seem right, then you could try eating say 2400 a day and see what happens.

Remember to drink plenty of water. By the way, as you lose your daily allowed calories will drop, so remember that, too.

Good luck and have fun with it!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hey Boilermaker, I put your stats in another calorie calculator I have, and at a sedentary activity level, for you to lose weight, it said you could eat around 2800 calories. Playing around on the internet, many of them said around 2800, so 2700 doesn't sound off. (I entered sedentary activity level and goal to lose 1lb a week - not meaning that this is accurate, but just to keep the data consistant.) If your more active than that, you could probably eat a little more and lose AND not be hungry. Big YAY there.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't actually adjust your calorie level according to your fitness goal numbers, just the activity level you choose (ie, sedentary, lightly active, active, etc)...this is why you eat back the amount of calories you actually burn when you actually exercise. The calorie deficit will still be there when you eat the exercise cals. Men do get alot more calories than women, plus you're very tall. I'd say try what MFP tells you and make adjustments as you go. good luck