Curious

This is an odd business.

I need to lose a lot of weight - so eat less. Correct?

Unfortunately, at first I was eating well under the daily allowance - so people advised me to eat more calories. Eat more to lose more?

So I exercise. More exercise means losing more weight. Right?

No - I put on more weight due to water retention.

So how do I get rid of the excess water? Drink less?

No - in order to lose the excess water I have to drink more water.

I don't doubt these pieces of advice are correct. Just saying this is very counter-intuitive.

A very odd business. This is the reason we all need support and advice from our friends here. Together, we can all reach our goals.

Thanks to you all :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 909 Member
    you have lost 32lbs!! Thats GREAT! And the size of a small child! hehe keep up the good fight and you will continue to lose..
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    It does sound funny when you lay it out like that. ha! And I agree, we all need the support of friends! That's why we are here! :D
  • Funny. I had the same thing happen with water retention. Gained five pounds in water and the only way I could shift it was spending a day just drinking water. 12 glasses of water and a very sleepless night later and it seemed to make it better by morning.

Unfortunately, I'm back in the same boat after having exercised quite a bit and drinking water. :D The hot weather isn't helping neither. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Just keep doing what your doing :) you've lost a lot already :) stick to your daily calorie allowance and dont worry if you go over even by 100 kcals.

By drink water is keeping you hydrated making you feel less hungry, yes there is the problem of water retention, but that soon goes :)

Keep going :) good luck :)
  • icemann78x
    icemann78x Posts: 17 Member
    As far as eating too little you don't want your body to think it is starving because then it stores everything as fat because its not sure when it will eat again. The best advice is to eat 5-6 times a day. Personally I have breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack between. ie granola bar, banana etc.
    To avoid water retention avoid salts. That's what holds in the water. Drinking more water flushes your system. Drink as much water as you can in a day.
    Exercising will also cause water retention but more muscle means your body burns more calories during rest and exercise. So definitely exercise.

All that being said. eat healthy and don't starve yourself. Exercise more and drink plenty of water.