My poor thighs :(

Options
So summer has finally come to Manchester and I wore shorts for my run only to find I've no skin on my thighs left :( Any tips for stopping this happening?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I actually wear my hubby's underwear he got for cycling, but don't fit him (no padding btw), they look like leggings, but are a bit shorter. They still stick out under my gym shorts, but vanity doesn't win out over a pain free run...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    At cycling stores they have chamois butter and similar... Check out a product like that.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    BodyGlide. Best stuff ever. TMI - I used to get rug burn between the small of my back and my butt from doing situps. Didn't matter what I wore. Started using BodyGlide, and haven't have a single spot of rug burn ever since. It's safe to use all over. Not expensive, available at any sporting goods stores and some drugstores!
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have that problem around the bottom band of my running bra....try vaseline or the body glide before you head out. Also try the tighter fitting shorts/pants.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Vaseline or Body Glide
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Body Glide but vaseline will do in a pinch on those friction points.

They actually hand out vaseline on popsicle sticks during marathons to help with chaffing. I find it helps nipple burn.

They also usually have a multilingual sign up telling people not to eat the vaseline... :laugh:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Ultrabalm from Lush, specifically made for chapped skin and chafing. Its a combination of jojoba oil, candelilla wax and rose wax. It smoother and a lot less greasy than vaseline.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So summer has finally come to Manchester and I wore shorts for my run only to find I've no skin on my thighs left :( Any tips for stopping this happening?

If its cold out, I'll wear leggings under my shorts. But now that it's warm out, I just wear shorts/capris that are a bit tighter and longer than the standard running shorts.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I'll give the vasaline a shot first.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ouchie i hate when this happens.:sad: showering is torture

i wear capris because i dont trust those lubricants to work for any long amount of time.

i also heard regular deodorant works too
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Compression shorts. Nike makes them in a couple different lengths. They are great under shorts or regular workout pants.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Also might want to avoid cotton. Look for shorts which advertise CoolMaxx, Dryfit, etc. They are synthetic and will wick moisture from the skin. Wet cotton is like sandpaper and is abrasive.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    Glide. I carry it in my purse! Great for rubbing thighs, bra straps, heck -- anything that rubs! Don't leave home without it.:smooched:
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    biking shorts are wonderful.

Use baby powder to keep the area dry AFTER chaffing has occurred.

Use petroleum jelly before so that the area can slide together easier (When there is no open wounds). (Never done this one, but read about it)
    Gold Bond also has this amazing tube of stuff, that your rub on for chaffing, feels like silk, but ends up like baby powder. My friend use to use it all the time.,
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wear compression tights...under armor, nike, etc...they end mid thigh and are just long enough to eliminate the chub rub....to eliminate the chafing from the sports bra or anywhere else I use diaper rash ointment (desitin, a&d, sudocream) it is really the best moisture barrier out there...I also use it after any chafing and it usually clears it up in a day.