New Runners

Options
For the last month ive been doing the 30 day shred and have had amazing results - lost over a stone but now i have finished it and am looking to go jogging in the evening after doing some circuit training. Ive been trying for the last 2 weeks to improve my cardio but i cant jog for longer than 2 minutes without being out of breath (doing the in through the nose, out through the mouth technique) and feeling like im going to die.. does anyone know how i can improve myself as right now its not really jogging - its like 25 minutes of fast pace walking with every now and again 2 minute jogs!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5K - its amazing. :-)
  • aammie12
    aammie12 Posts: 25
    Options
    a good way to start is fast walking and then try to transition to jogging/running....start at a slow pace and get faster as you want/need....that's how i had to teach myself and it worked great.
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm no expert runner so take this with a grain of salt but I would try fast walking (like you are doing) for a few minutes then run for one minute. When you can do that without breaking a sweat up the run time and decrease the walk time.
    Just a suggestion :)
    Good luck!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options

agreed
  • goforit06
    goforit06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm just now learning to run and I agree. I started the C25K two weeks ago and its the same type of learning like they said of walk for say 1.5 mins then jog for a min. When you can do that push to increase run time and lower walk time. But look up C25K and it will give you some great ideas!!! Good luck!
  • susyw_2003
    susyw_2003 Posts: 70
    Options
    Brilliant thanks you guys, ive just had a little search on the couch to 5k and it looks really good! :)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You really just have to take it a few steps at a time. I was never a runner/jogger. I probably would have only willingly jogged if someone was chasing me and even then I am sure they would have caught me and attack/killed me! (lol)

I too, when I started with lots of walking and was transitioning into jogging would only get so far and then I had to stop (the I am going to die feelings) Then the next time I would try to go a bit further. I found what helped was finding a visual point (a tree, a street sign, light post, etc) and pick a place to start (where you can see the visual object) and at least try to make it to that point. Just keep telling yourself to go, you can do it, just get to that place. I still can't jog my entire route I take (about 5 miles) but I am at least to where I can run a little more than half of it, so that has been a huge accomplishment for me.

Good luck.
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

agreed

this!