Do you work on Abs everyday?

Options

Replies

• vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks, but really thank me if it works.

So, no worries on being able to afford equipment it is why i asked.

If you can borrow the scales for one week, that would be great and then once a week for 6 weeks even better.

HRM fantastic, but please read up on Perceived Exertion Rate. Reason, some people read too much into heart rate or let heart rate decide when to stop. There are certain exercises that I do that are hard but do not raise my heart rate that much. For example rotator cuff called TWIST - takes 8 solid minutes of movement - heart rate is about 100 but my body through PER says it is much more difficult.

So equipment - strong shopping bags, small gym bag, satchel, suitcase, bottles. Tin cans, sand, water, gravel. Access to a sledgehammer and old tyre?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Your abs are like any other muscle in your body. You can over train them. They need rest to grow and get stronger.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Your abs are like any other muscle in your body. You can over train them. They need rest to grow and get stronger.

Random
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Doing countless hours of ab work will indeed make them stronger but it will not get rid of the fat clinging to the top of them.... Diet is the biggest factor. Eat clean and build muscle to improve metabolic burn.

You don't have to eat clean, just eat at a caloric deficit for long enough to lose fat. Make sure you lift and get plenty of protein so the majority of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of losing muscle.

Well if you ever wanna see that six pack. You need to stop putting artificial food in your body. Eating clean is the most effective way to get the results you want. I could eat a bag of toll house cookies everyday at a caloric deficit but I am certainly not gonna look healthy,

This is totally and utterly false. All you need to do is lower your body fat % enough to see them, by eating at a caloric deficit, the form of the food may have an impact on health, but not the amount you lose.

If you have a low caloric intake it may be able to not go over by eating "clean" as the food is typically lower in calories, but if you can hit your target intake with"dirty" food, your weight loss results will be the same.

I want to disagree with you but I kinda know you are right

However, if you want a better chance of success eating clean is the way to go. Also if you are weight training clean will give you better gains

What worries me with this kind of post is it is correct but is easily misinterpreted by the struggling dieter as an excuse to eat wrong, therefore too many calories and then fail
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Doing countless hours of ab work will indeed make them stronger but it will not get rid of the fat clinging to the top of them.... Diet is the biggest factor. Eat clean and build muscle to improve metabolic burn.

You don't have to eat clean, just eat at a caloric deficit for long enough to lose fat. Make sure you lift and get plenty of protein so the majority of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of losing muscle.

Well if you ever wanna see that six pack. You need to stop putting artificial food in your body. Eating clean is the most effective way to get the results you want. I could eat a bag of toll house cookies everyday at a caloric deficit but I am certainly not gonna look healthy,

This is totally and utterly false. All you need to do is lower your body fat % enough to see them, by eating at a caloric deficit, the form of the food may have an impact on health, but not the amount you lose.

If you have a low caloric intake it may be able to not go over by eating "clean" as the food is typically lower in calories, but if you can hit your target intake with"dirty" food, your weight loss results will be the same.

However, if you want a better chance of success eating clean is the way to go. Also if you are weight training clean will give you better gains

What worries me with this kind of post is it is correct but is easily misinterpreted by the struggling dieter as an excuse to eat wrong, therefore too many calories and then fail

Well if you've ever heard the term "skinny fat" you'll know what I am reffering to. Ask anyone who takes body composition seriously and they will tellyou you can't have a muscular physique eating crap. Body builders eat foods at a specific ratio to look like they do. A ripped six pack is one of the hardest things to achieve. It's not about losing weight it's about being healthy and looking strong. Eating at a deficit is not a good way to sustain weight loss. You have to change your lifestyle. Eating clean healthy foods allows you to eat enough to sustain all those beautiful muscles for the long haul.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree,
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    It's my understanding that the only muscle that can handle being worked every day is calves, and I'm not even sure that's right. Muscles need recovery time, plain and simple. If you don't rest them, you'll get into a situation where you're over-training, and you'll do more harm than good.

calves are worked everday, you may note that they hold your body up. Assuming your not doing headstands or handstands.

Overtraining - the vast majority of people will never overtrain. Overtraining is a term for professional sports people (20-30 hours trainining)and very keen amateurs (15-20hours). Overtraining can be as much about poor nutrition and low body fat rather than overweight and sedentary.

While not a myth, overtraining is not going to bother the vast majority of people and I believe it is an unhelpful terminology.

1. Normal every day walking most likely doesn't stress your calves enough to generate an adaptive response - they're not going to get bigger or stronger. So, obviously, I was talking about an actual focused workout that includes things like weighted calf raises.

2. You have a problem with headstands?

3. Regarding over training, I strongly disagree with you. I think a lot more people work themselves into an over-trained state than is generally recognized. What are you basing your thoughts on? How it unhelpful that people shouldn't train too much and hurt themselves? That sounds a bit reckless. Can poor nutrition contribute to over training? Of course. But can *over training* contribute to over training, as well? Ummm... yes. Yes it can.

Getting back to abs, what it comes down to is, no, don't work your abs every day - unless it's a really lame workout. Working any muscle group every day is more likely to result in an injury than anything else, and it certainly does nothing positive for the muscle group involved. Do you know anyone who squats every day? Probably not - same reason.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Well if you've ever heard the term "skinny fat" you'll know what I am reffering to. Ask anyone who takes body composition seriously and they will tellyou you can't have a muscular physique eating crap. Body builders eat foods at a specific ratio to look like they do. A ripped six pack is one of the hardest things to achieve. It's not about losing weight it's about being healthy and looking strong. Eating at a deficit is not a good way to sustain weight loss. You have to change your lifestyle. Eating clean healthy foods allows you to eat enough to sustain all those beautiful muscles for the long haul.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree,

I agree, but if some crap, such as pop tarts, fit into your overall macros it will not harm you progress or body composition one bit.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options

If you can borrow the scales for one week, that would be great and then once a week for 6 weeks even better.

HRM fantastic, but please read up on Perceived Exertion Rate. Reason, some people read too much into heart rate or let heart rate decide when to stop. There are certain exercises that I do that are hard but do not raise my heart rate that much. For example rotator cuff called TWIST - takes 8 solid minutes of movement - heart rate is about 100 but my body through PER says it is much more difficult.

So equipment - strong shopping bags, small gym bag, satchel, suitcase, bottles. Tin cans, sand, water, gravel. Access to a sledgehammer and old tyre?

I reckon I can conjure up those items!! I only really use my HRM to make sure I'm pushing it and not slacking, and to track calories burnt for this site! I've decided you're right, I do need to change my goal weight. I've had a chat with my SO and he thinks I could afford to lose another 10lbs as long as I'm happy, he's happy!!! :smile:
  • vtachycardia
    Options

I reckon I can conjure up those items!! I only really use my HRM to make sure I'm pushing it and not slacking, and to track calories burnt for this site! I've decided you're right, I do need to change my goal weight. I've had a chat with my SO and he thinks I could afford to lose another 10lbs as long as I'm happy, he's happy!!! :smile:

Great. So here goes,

Sledge hammer and tyre - very simply you are going to hit the tyre with the sledgehammer - 15 times either arm and do this three sets. It is a compound movement, but involves stabilisation, there is a twist and that works obliques and TVA, your hips get a nice workout and of course arms and back muscles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3KuI33DaY

Tyre toss - pick tyre up, rotate and throw it. 10 times each side x 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XYM4zMQCYk (and although the comments to these poor kids are usual youtube trash, the way he throws the tire in the beginning is correct for what I want - maybe a little more trunk and hip rotation

so that is the crazy stuff, if you feel confident enough to work outside

Bags filled with stuff workout.

Oblique Twist - load up carrier bags, feet shoulder width apart, raise arms with bags to side, engage core, turn left or right as far as you can go (as you do this more you will get more rotation) left to center then right to centre - that is one rep. 15 * 3, count 1234, 12, 1, 1234, 12, 1 - so it is a slow controlled motion not trying to spin around like a helicopter

Leg Raise - lay on floor, carrier bags around ankles with some weight, cans of food whatever. Put balled fist under your hips to get your glutes raised off the floor a bit. Raise legs, one thousand two thousand, pause one thousand and then the hard part - lower at a slow rate and the bags do not touch the floor. Slow rate is count one thousand, two thousand to five thousand. 8 reps of 3 sets. Too hard, work on it without weight. Complete one at a time whenever you want and then build up. Add weight when it gets easy - we are not adding reps only weight!!!

Weight behind head crunch - better off with a satchel or gym bag. Exactly like a crunch, but put bag behind the head grab with arms and crunch. Aim for 15 reps of 3 sets. Gets easy, add weight. As ever, nice and slow.
    (make your own sandbag training bag. google it, it is fun)

Standing oblique crunch - bags by your side - lean to right side, back to centre and then left. As much weight as you can handle, which is often quite a lot. 15 reps each side for 3 sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pcim54tYLQ -he moves too fast and why weight in only one hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLelFVcLWU4 - this is the skydiver. Again, 15 *3 slow pace

flutter kicks - on back make small fast kicks like doing the backstroke 1 minute or 2 * 30 seconds or whatever has to be a minute
    reverse flutter kicks - on front and your upper body has to be supported but legs free to move, so chair arm or something (as above
    These exercises we do fast! And do them twice.

Finisher - mountain climbers for 30 seconds, jumping squat *5, repeat then cool down

As I said this is to see if that baby belly can be shifted, this is not a normal ab routine. Do it twice a week and PM me your results after a month.

lastly, take photos, take measurements,

And enjoy the workouts, but they will be hard. If you want additional moves then the windmill, turkish get ups and squat thrusts can be incorporated but other stuff excluded if you did choose to work on these moves.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    I don't want to get into any heated debates, but here's my two cents. I've only just started my second week of Insanity, and there are absolutely no isolated abdominal exercises. I think you can strengthen those muscles from other compound movements.
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90x and the program has us doing abs every other day, which is about 10 minutes of various hard (or at least to me) ab work outs.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do abdominal vacuums everyday. They are easy to do at the desk. 3x until failure.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't *intentionally* focus on abs, but I do pole most days, and that's tons of core work so... yeah I guess I do abs almost every day.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Maybe do a good hard ab work out ever other day. :) I do Zumba almost ever day. I love the specific ab work out, it's not too intense too kill my abs but it is good enough for everyday. And it's not too long so I always have time for it.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    did my first abs class at the gym the other day, now i can kill the cardio but half an hour of that was hell... i hurt so bad. scared of going back again. cannot imagine doing it every day lol x
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't *intentionally* focus on abs, but I do pole most days, and that's tons of core work so... yeah I guess I do abs almost every day.

There must be a joke in there somewhere, I just can't think of one... :huh: :wink:
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!

breakfast, lunch, and dinner :)
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options

Great. So here goes,

Sledge hammer and tyre - very simply you are going to hit the tyre with the sledgehammer - 15 times either arm and do this three sets. It is a compound movement, but involves stabilisation, there is a twist and that works obliques and TVA, your hips get a nice workout and of course arms and back muscles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3KuI33DaY

Tyre toss - pick tyre up, rotate and throw it. 10 times each side x 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XYM4zMQCYk (and although the comments to these poor kids are usual youtube trash, the way he throws the tire in the beginning is correct for what I want - maybe a little more trunk and hip rotation

so that is the crazy stuff, if you feel confident enough to work outside

Bags filled with stuff workout.

Oblique Twist - load up carrier bags, feet shoulder width apart, raise arms with bags to side, engage core, turn left or right as far as you can go (as you do this more you will get more rotation) left to center then right to centre - that is one rep. 15 * 3, count 1234, 12, 1, 1234, 12, 1 - so it is a slow controlled motion not trying to spin around like a helicopter

Leg Raise - lay on floor, carrier bags around ankles with some weight, cans of food whatever. Put balled fist under your hips to get your glutes raised off the floor a bit. Raise legs, one thousand two thousand, pause one thousand and then the hard part - lower at a slow rate and the bags do not touch the floor. Slow rate is count one thousand, two thousand to five thousand. 8 reps of 3 sets. Too hard, work on it without weight. Complete one at a time whenever you want and then build up. Add weight when it gets easy - we are not adding reps only weight!!!

Weight behind head crunch - better off with a satchel or gym bag. Exactly like a crunch, but put bag behind the head grab with arms and crunch. Aim for 15 reps of 3 sets. Gets easy, add weight. As ever, nice and slow.
    (make your own sandbag training bag. google it, it is fun)

Standing oblique crunch - bags by your side - lean to right side, back to centre and then left. As much weight as you can handle, which is often quite a lot. 15 reps each side for 3 sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pcim54tYLQ -he moves too fast and why weight in only one hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLelFVcLWU4 - this is the skydiver. Again, 15 *3 slow pace

flutter kicks - on back make small fast kicks like doing the backstroke 1 minute or 2 * 30 seconds or whatever has to be a minute
    reverse flutter kicks - on front and your upper body has to be supported but legs free to move, so chair arm or something (as above
    These exercises we do fast! And do them twice.

Finisher - mountain climbers for 30 seconds, jumping squat *5, repeat then cool down

As I said this is to see if that baby belly can be shifted, this is not a normal ab routine. Do it twice a week and PM me your results after a month.

lastly, take photos, take measurements,

And enjoy the workouts, but they will be hard. If you want additional moves then the windmill, turkish get ups and squat thrusts can be incorporated but other stuff excluded if you did choose to work on these moves.

Wow! You really are my hero!!! Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to help me, I'm really grateful :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Wow! You really are my hero!!! Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to help me, I'm really grateful

In a month, PM me with the start figure and current figure including measurements. Pleasure to help. And last thing, the day after these workouts, try to up your protein intake and decrease fats and carbs. Also, try make sure you have food within 20 minutes of finishing the workout. 100g cottage cheese, small tin of cheapest tuna and half tin of any bean in brine (rinsed) like barlotti or haricot. Every workout should end in some food. Two cold hard boiled eggs are great.

I am English and I know the US calls beans different names. I just mean beans, but not in sauce.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I dont do any ab routines. all the cardio and weightlifting I do also works my abs. and i eat an ab friendly diet ;)