exercising sans gym??

Options
I've recently moved to Russia, and I'm in a somewhat obscure location. It's very hard to get to a gym, and that's with decent weather. Once the extreme cold and snow hits us, I'm pretty much going to be stuck where I am. But I don't want to let that become an excuse not to exercise! All I have to work with are dumbbells and a jump rope here.
Does anyone know of any exercise programs that require little to no equipment??
If not a program, any suggestions as to what I could do (besides the standard push up, squat, lunge etc.)?
Thanks!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    honestly most of what my trainer does with me in the gym can be down in your home...........it is the motivation that she gives that makes the difference.

If you are movitvated-then put together a 3 or 4 day program M.W.FR.SUN

She uses a jump rope between weights, squats, lunges, push ups, step ups.

the jump rope gives me the interval to increase the HR inbetween sets. Or jump in place like you are using a rope!

Step ups are seen on Biggest Loser all the time. we just benches and those step aerobic benches but a chair or step also work...........I know someon who made one from simple wood.

push ups, then step ups, then squats and lunges. Rinse, lather, repeat:laugh:
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've recently moved to Russia, and I'm in a somewhat obscure location. It's very hard to get to a gym, and that's with decent weather. Once the extreme cold and snow hits us, I'm pretty much going to be stuck where I am. But I don't want to let that become an excuse not to exercise! All I have to work with are dumbbells and a jump rope here.
    If not a program, any suggestions as to what I could do (besides the standard push up, squat, lunge etc.)?
    Thanks!
    Beachbody has a variety of programs you can use at home.
    I am using P90X right now. It is a 90 program. Awesome!
    If you want to preview some of them you can go to http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/jimmalone/products
  • Willpower90x
    Willpower90x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too would suggest any Beachbody program. I started with Power90 and received great results. Currently I'm doing P90X.
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    You can look on Women's health to find the Workout for your body type. Its all at home exercises . Alhtough I think you might need an exercise ball. Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    podcasts are always good and free
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I hear you with the obscure location, cuz I'm in the sticks of NH! :laugh:
    Besides walking when the weather permits, I dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
  • locochoco
    Options
    podcasts are always good and free

Know of any particularly good ones?
    Anyway, thanks for all the great ideas. I'm here for a year, so I'll probably give everything a try!