"You are fat"

Options
abberbabber
abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
So I find myself in the middle of a debate about Chick-Fil-A last night on Facebook. One guy's argument consisted of "You are fat". Another's argument ended with "You should really stay away from fast food anyway- you don't need it".

Now, I'm not denying I'm fat. I've been fat pretty much my entire life. It's not like they're telling me anything new. But in what universe is that considered a legitimate debate tactic? Are they hoping that I'll be so ashamed of being fat that I'll just run away and hide and they'll "win" the argument? There was a time when that would have happened, but last night I pretty much just laughed and said "Yes I am, thank you for your concern about my health".

I swear, sometimes being on the internet is like high school all over again...

ETA: Ok, apparently I wasn't clear enough but yes, the remarks were directed towards me lol.

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you watch King of Queens? This reminds me of the episode when Arthur wants Spence to debate with him. Spence did a fine job with his opening remarks, then Arthur's reply was something like, "You're a moron and you have a big head". Then he claimed to be the winner of the debate. Ha!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    what exactly was the debate?? to eat it or not?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.. are they arguing with each other or you? this doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I love this part of your post because it is so true.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUUKNJQI1z_iTVCJ9-WEWZNeLTCyPKZqYceY10yXN3KO_3nWP1
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I'm confused.. are they arguing with each other or you? this doesn't make a lot of sense.

It was like ten people arguing with me lol. Though I use the term "arguing" the absolutely loosest way possible...
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    SMH ... so, either they are being straight forward with you, or arguing with one another...Im lost...
  • abberbabber
    Options
    SMH ... so, either they are being straight forward with you, or arguing with one another...Im lost...

The remarks were meant for me...but had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Do you watch King of Queens? This reminds me of the episode when Arthur wants Spence to debate with him. Spence did a fine job with his opening remarks, then Arthur's reply was something like, "You're a moron and you have a big head". Then he claimed to be the winner of the debate. Ha!

LOL I love "King of Queens"...I think I did see that episode. Gotta love Arthur.
  • abberbabber
    Options

lol No, it was over this whole mess with the Jim Henson company.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I like the excuse. We are recalling the toys because they are dangerous, THOUGH, no child has actually been injured...

original.jpg
  • abberbabber
    Options

I like the excuse. We are recalling the toys because they are dangerous, THOUGH, no child has actually been injured...

original.jpg

And I think you can agree that regardless of your stance on the subject...being fat really has nothing to do with it :laugh:
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

I love this part of your post because it is so true.

trolls
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what the topic at hand was about. Their argument was that her opinion was invalidated automatically because of her weight. The implication is that overweight people's opinions on food-related matters don't carry any credibility, because of bias, even if they're against said food/food chain. Ironic, isn't it?
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Basically, they didn't have anything valid to say regarding the argument so they attacked you personally.
    Lame. But unfortunately, that's what you'll find. Especially on the internet. I've had mean things said about me too. Either that I'm fat, or ugly, or whatever.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    People resort to insults because they're too damn stupid to continue on the argument.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If your argument was to support gay marriage and theirs was against it then they're probably ignorant bigots and that explains their comments because they can't wrap their heads around the concept of basic human rights so it's unsurprising they can't be decent human beings.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The fact that you were arguing with someone on the internet is just as immature.

Yeah, they are losers for what they said, but why let other people control your emotions?
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just be content knowing they're bad at life. Or debate, at least.

On the subject, did anyone see the latest in this sloppily handled debacle? They made fake profiles of teenage girls on facebook to wage a PR war. The profile pictures were stock photos, and the comments they made using the profiles are just... ridiculously blatant.

Chik-fil-a: not good at the internet.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    People resort to insults because they're too damn stupid to continue on the argument.

^^ THIS !! and this is exactly what I needed to hear myself after someone insulted me over something ridiculous. My answer to him was, your parents must be extremely proud that they raised such a fine and polite young man. He actually hushed after that :) Sometimes hitting them with the reality that they would not say these things in front of their parents, children, or you face to face makes them wake up. Others are just too far gone to care. Gotta love internet gangsters! :P

@Tina - nothing wrong with a healthy debate ;)