gonna lose this weight! hooah!!

Options
grimsin
grimsin Posts: 78 Member
always browsing the forums here and gleaning motivation from this great community so I thought I'd finally drop an introduction line. I'm 36 years old, 5'7 and currently 188. I started my weight gain journey in 2003 after being hit with an IED in baghdad iraq. The military doctors all told me the same thing as did the VA doctors, the pain in my back/legs/ankles/wrists would only get worse and worse so no running/jumping/bending, twisting, lifting more than 15 pounds, and a whole long list of other things, so I was basically ordered to sit around all day and they started sending me monthly disability checks. bye bye 11 years active service. so for 9 years I sat around and smoked cigs and ate one meal a day of around 900 cals, plus I drank about a 12 pack of mt. dew a day and probably drank a 12 pack of beer a night. last year in may on my birthday I decided to do something about the mess I had gotten myself into, so I quit smoking cigs cold turkey, the year went by really quick and I was able to fully kick the habit with no relapses, this year I spent doing core building and strengthening my injured areas. so this last may on my birthday I kicked off phase 2 of my plan, lose the weight I had packed on over the years, the heaviest I know for sure that I got to is 232 pounds. I don't really consider my food now a diet, I really just removed all the bad things I ate and replaced them all with good things. no more processed foods, all liquids I consume now are water and milk. more fruit, more veggies and I upped my calories to between 1200 and 1800 a day, I don't really log what I eat because I eat constantly all day long, I also drink between 128 and 200 fl oz of water a day. so far it is working, here is my exercise routine. M-F I do 30DS in the morning, 4 days a week I lift at the gym for 30 minutes, and 3 days a week I do 30-45 minutes running at a 9 to 10 min mile pace. I'm also a stay at home dad with a 6 month old, and a full time student at oregon state university online. This morning the trainer at the gym did my monthly weigh/measure and I was down 10 pounds and 10 body inches this month!! so far my pace on loss hasn't slowed down but I expect it to during these last 30 pounds or so I still want to lose. thanks for the motivation and support thus far MFP community! gonna lean on ya for the last bit too! :)

add me if ya want

Replies

• MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for your service.

I'm sorry to read about your struggles. But I see some victories in there!! You seem determined and have already made some headway! GO YOU!

Welcome and best of luck with your journey!
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    Bump, *****es. Give a veteran some love people!
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    Apparently y'all....1. did not hear me. and 2. Under estimate the persistance of a coonass. Bump.
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    aaaaannnd BUMP!
  • Chan0629
    Chan0629 Posts: 19
    Options
    You're pretty awesome - I'll add you!
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    bump
  • MarciO20
    MarciO20 Posts: 1
    Options
    That's awesome, I myself am 65 days smoke free and that is my biggest accomplishment health wise!!! Keep it up, I know I am!
  • sugargrenade
    sugargrenade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I injured my back in 2007 and was given the same advice as you. I piled on a good amount of weight and then decided to just do what I could. Walking has been my main source of weight loss.

You're doing amazingly, you're dedication is inspiring!
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    Way to pull it all back together! It's always encouraging to see success like this!
    A big Oorah in my book.
    -Angel
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Grats to you! I know you will achieve what you have set out to do...Good Luck and Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service and your sacrifices! Great job on quitting smoking and getting back to living your life. What a blessing to be able to raise your 6 month old too. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are already seeing the benefits.