Muay Thai - Anyone Tried it Yet?

Options
The gym that I go to is now offering a class called Muay Thai. It's basically Thai Boxing. I was wondering if anyone has tried this class before? I wonder if its similar to kickboxing? It sounds interesting.

Replies

• sublimeonskunk
    Options
    My first post just to reply to this. I would recommend it to the max. I never get tired of it and its the best workout you've ever done. It is kickboxing, but with knees and elbows added.
  • Zamba74
    Zamba74 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few years and love it! So addictive. My classes are 2 hours: We start with 30 minutes of boot camp, then we do an hour of combos, then we do a 30 minute burn out ( like a boot camp). Muay Thai is different from kickboxing as you use 8 points of your body: fists, elbows, knees and kicks. What city are you in?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My first post just to reply to this. I would recommend it to the max. I never get tired of it and its the best workout you've ever done. It is kickboxing, but with knees and elbows added.

it's kickboxing multiplied by awesome basically.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I used to take private lessons from a friend of mine at a primarily karate dojo (my friend and his dad were senpai there). His dad also did Muay Thai and gave me a lesson, I threw up in a bucket halfway through.

I assume a class at a gym wouldn't be as lunatic intense, though. The crazy thing is, I was having so much fun I kept going after puking from exertion so... yeah.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's hard to find a real muay thai class.

Real muay thai focuses primarily on kicking, and includes a LOT of clinching maneuvers.

Most places teach american kickboxing + elbows/knees and call it Muay Thai.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I used to do something very similar to this (it was called freestyle kickboxing and had a lot of knees and elbows added as the above posters have said). Its crazy fun, really good workout and gets ur aggression out. Unfortunately this was when i was at uni and didnt understand calories or macros, i used to do a crazy hard workout and then eat loads of pasta afterwards so stayed fat.
  • Engaling01
    Options
    Sorry to join the conversation late. I just came across this post.

I would highly recommend 'authentic' Muay Thai. Note that I emphasized the 'authentic' part. I'm sure kickboxing or any form of kickboxing will will give you a good workout, but there some big differences in Muay Thai and kickboxing.

I've been training in Muay Thai since I was a kid, but formal training since 2001. I wear a heart rate monitor/ calorie burn counter during my training sessions. This is a typical class:

* 3-5 minutes of shadow boxing
    * 10-15 minutes of stretching
    * 3-5 minutes of warm up drills on Thai pads then same thing but holding thai pads for training partner
    **Then instructor will take 5-10 minutes introducing a 'technique' that we'll be focusing during the remainder of the class during this time, we are basically 'unintentionally cooling down' because it takes time to take in the technique that's being shown.
    * More 3-5 minute drills,normally 3-5 sets of these depending on time. We're switching between hitting pads and holding pads with our training partner.
    * Last 15 minutes of class, we'll do a circuit training session of 30 seconds blasts and 10 second rests between various set stations.

Your heart rate and calories burn will come down to the intensity that you train and your current weight/age. There's some downtime between putting on the thai pads and gloves, but you're not going 100% the entire time. Below are my stats and what I training stats from last nights class

* 5' 9"
    * 220 lbs

Class Length: 75 minutes
    Lowest Rate during class: 62 beats per minute
    Highest heart rate: 185 beats per minute
    Average heart rate for entire class: 127 beats peat per minute
    Calories Burned: 1120 calories
  • tigker86
    Options
    Engaling01 - That's amazing! 1120 Calories!
    I'm think I was just inspired to buy a heart rate monitor to track my progress as well as know how much I should be eating.

Oh, and YES! I'd definitely recommend muay thai, but then again it depends on the gym and the instructor.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a weekly muay thai class for about 6 weeks now. It's so great. Try it..I'm sure you'll like it. For me, I quickly found out I wasn't in the shape I thought I was in...which is a good thing.