Why do there appear to be more women than men here?

Options
Hello all

I’ve got 63 high quality friends on MFP of which only 8 are male, that’s just 14.5% male friends.

Now, it could just be that I’m irresistible to women :blushing: , or maybe (And far more likely) that there are significantly less men than women on MFP.

Question is, why might there be less men interested in looking after themselves than women ?

Stu

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I may catch flack for this but in general men dont have to work as hard as women to maintain their weight. It's genetics and it sucks but it's true. Lol
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that men are just less likely to need or want a support group for something like weight loss the way that women do. Kinda like how girls pee in packs! No guy brings his friend with him to the bathroom, haha.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't think it's us looking after ourselves so much as there is a lot more pressure on us to look a certain way. Although I'm thinking that new movie magic mike might have put some pressure on the men of the world! Ha ha. Anyways glad you are here looking after yourself good luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Because most men will think they know everything about dieting and fitness and that they need no support.
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    I think that men are just less likely to need or want a support group for something like weight loss the way that women do. Kinda like how girls pee in packs! No guy brings his friend with him to the bathroom, haha.

Pretty sure every guy brings his friend to the bathroom!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Really? Because dieting is huge with women. I'd bet that 4 out of 5 women in the general population are either on a diet or thinking they should start one.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question... Mr. Obvious Guy says... Because there ARE more women here than men. That is all.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's us looking after ourselves so much as there is a lot more pressure on us to look a certain way. Although I'm thinking that new movie magic mike might have put some pressure on the men of the world! Ha ha. Anyways glad you are here looking after yourself good luck!

Hehehehe love this!!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Because my fiance can drink whole milk, sleep all day, eat pizza and live off ice cream cake and barely make it into the "normal" weight range for his height while I have to exercise to fit into my jeans.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My husband signed up for mfp and the first time he tried to log calories he quit
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    In my experience men are less social about dieting than women. Let's face it-almost every women's mag out there has an article about weight loss in every single issue and it's advertised on the front cover. It's what we are supposed to be about. *eyeroll*

Another view-my hubby prefers Sparkpeople b/c he can accumulate points and get cute icons for his page. *shrug* He's not into the social thing with dieting and fitness.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My husband signed up for mfp and the first time he tried to log calories he quit

Same thing here! My husband was like, "Whoa. Too much work. Next."
  • davidsadler86
    Options
    I imagine that plenty of us fellas use the calorie counter provided by MFP but as men we are notoriously stubborn and more often than not will not ask for help in case people see it as a sign of weakness, that's not the case for all men though, I love the forums as they are a great place to learn
    take it easy (not too easy though) :D
  • Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    more men that are serious are prob logging into bodybuilder.com... IDK, just a guess...
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's us looking after ourselves so much as there is a lot more pressure on us to look a certain way.

Women don't have as much pressure to appear muscular though. Being muscular is MUCH harder than being thin though.

But I do agree (and it ticks my wife off) that men have it easier as far as weight loss in general, but a lot of us that are like that earned it. I've lifted weights hard for over half my life to get here("here" being my current muscle mass).
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Same reason men don't want to ask for directions when lost I guess. Also, speaking strictly anecdotally, I've noticed that most men are ok with weight up until they get into middle age whereas a lot of women are struggling with weight from their teens, whether they need to lose or not. I'm guessing that when the site owners run the figures they find that like most social networking sites its members tend to be young(ish).
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Most men can't be fussed with a better lifestyle and exercise as long as they can see their penises. My super skinny fiancé is planning to do 10 push ups every day for the past three years. Gotta love men.
  • Cinnamon0603
    Cinnamon0603 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Because, in my opinion, there is WAY, WAY more pressure on women to look good and be thin than on men. Just like women get old, men get distinguished. It sucks but it's the truth in this day and age.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    IMO, men tend to have bigger egos than women too, and think they look great no matter what. *Not all men obviously think this way, but I know LOADS of thin women who think they need to lose weight (even if it's just 5-10 lb.), and ZERO thin men who think this way. Or none that admit it, at least.
  • wesley0420
    wesley0420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you're right!