Battle of the sagging skin

Options
rishina27
rishina27 Posts: 170 Member
So just wanted to see if any ladies or guys wanted to post pics to show off there bellies I know we all have problem areas and mines my stomach how did you guys get rid of the sagging skin that was left behind after weight loss.....

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you've lost and how much excess skin you have, only time, and in extreme cases, a tummy tuck, will help. I have borne three children on top of being overweight for most of my life, so I have a lot of stretch marks, but I have noticed that the loose skin is starting to tighten up a lot. I honestly think, in my case anyway, that what I thought was excess skin was really fat, and as I continue to cut my body fat percentage, I get firmer. So just keep at it and you should see results over time.
  • katalexanna
    katalexanna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you Cocochick...made my day...I just need to keep at it. See you did the Color Run from your profile pic...we are doing it in December...so excited!!!
  • kristalbraley
    Options
    That is my one area that sucks. My belly just has hanging skin :( but then again I had a child that was over 8 lbs and I was very petite. Still, sucks. Have you looks into laser therapy?
  • rishina27
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you've lost and how much excess skin you have, only time, and in extreme cases, a tummy tuck, will help. I have borne three children on top of being overweight for most of my life, so I have a lot of stretch marks, but I have noticed that the loose skin is starting to tighten up a lot. I honestly think, in my case anyway, that what I thought was excess skin was really fat, and as I continue to cut my body fat percentage, I get firmer. So just keep at it and you should see results over time.

Havent lost much yet but I still have that baby weight that I put on after I had my son and he's 7 lol yeah I know years of not doing anything about it till now. I have lost 9 pounds but was really worried that the skin around my stomach area would not tighten up after I lost what I wanted to loose and really dont want to have any surgeries to remove it. I do have alot of stretch marks as well those dont really bother me the loose skin does. But if you are noticing your skin is tightening then that gives me a little hope thanks
  • rishina27
    Options
    That is my one area that sucks. My belly just has hanging skin :( but then again I had a child that was over 8 lbs and I was very petite. Still, sucks. Have you looks into laser therapy?

Yeah sounds like we are in the same boat and really wow.... and yeah it sucks majorily and no I havent looked into it really trying not do in type of surgery or anything like that just try and do it the old fashion way I have heard and seen that it can be done guess I just have to stay with it but thanks
  • nikkidubert
    Options
    At your size, you probably will not have to worry about a lot of sagging skin. It's mostly us BIG girls that have to worry about that. Anyway, stay encouraged and I hope you reach your goal!
  • rishina27
    Options
  • rishina27
    Options
    At your size, you probably will not have to worry about a lot of sagging skin. It's mostly us BIG girls that have to worry about that. Anyway, stay encouraged and I hope you reach your goal!

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING BUT YOU NEVER CAN BE TO CAREFUL AND YOUR NOT BIG YOUR BEAUTIFUL THATS WHAT MY FIANCE TELLS ME WHEN I SAY IM BIG HE SAYS BIG IS BEAUTIFUL SWEET HEART LOL AND THANKS ALOT
  • rishina27
    Options
    BTW, it is so gross! I hate taking it

SO IS IT SOME KIND OF SUPPLEMENT OR SOMETHING ILL HAVE TO GO CHECK IT OUT
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BTW, it is so gross! I hate taking it

I am so lost.... what is gross?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't really have saggy skin, I think it's a genetic/age thing also working out. I worked out when I started this and I think I've lost it in such a long span that it gave my skin enough time to keep up.

summerswimsuit.jpg
  • mlynn1974
    mlynn1974 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just started the program this week. In reading these posts, it seems that the "if you lose weight slowly your skin won't sag" idea is a myth. I thought the skin would naturally adjust as the weight disappeared. I have 85 pounds to lose, so I'm concerned now that there will be excess skin. I may be back next year to read your suggestions and tips to deal with the situation! Thanks so much for the information.
  • kstar137
    kstar137 Posts: 17
    Options
    I heard from one lady who lost 100+ pounds and whose skin did tighten up was that she drank a LOT of fresh water during the two years it took her to lose. She attributed her skin tightening up with slower fat loss and plenty of pure water.

Personally, I'd be cautious about taking large doses of supplements without the recommendation of a certified dietician and your personal doctor. I know people on this site mean well, and they may be on to something that's a good idea, but... think of what's natural. Fresh vegies & fruits would be much better for your body than concentrated nutritional supplements which might be putting a strain on the liver and kidneys.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Age, start weight, weight loss rate, nutrition, activity level, pregnancy history, body type, and most importantly genetics affect loose skin. I know a couple of women who have lost over 100 lbs in their 30's and 40's, and they both report that with maintenance the skin gets smaller.

The majority of the bulk of "loose skin" is subcutaneous fat, and one common technique that seems to work well is to cut down 10-20 lbs below your ideal weight to reduce that layer of fat, to maintain there for several months, and then to gradually gain that weight back, building as much muscle as possible.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh. and having said that, I have this little wrinkle of skin below my belly button, and I'm insanely proud of it. It's just one more thing to remind me that I'm on the right track.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Age, start weight, weight loss rate, nutrition, activity level, pregnancy history, body type, and most importantly genetics affect loose skin. I know a couple of women who have lost over 100 lbs in their 30's and 40's, and they both report that with maintenance the skin gets smaller.

The majority of the bulk of "loose skin" is subcutaneous fat, and one common technique that seems to work well is to cut down 10-20 lbs below your ideal weight to reduce that layer of fat, to maintain there for several months, and then to gradually gain that weight back, building as much muscle as possible.
    Good to know!!!!

This has been one of the things I am the most scared of. I did loose about 40 pounds five years ago and the tummy decreased dramatically, but like a lot of folks, I wasn't diligent and it all came back.

I'm scared because I have about 100 pounds to loose total. I've had four kids. 1st pregnancy was twins,I only gained 50 with that pregnancy (which was not enough for multiples). I didn't "show" until I was in the hospital with preterm labor and I literally popped overnight. Along with that factor, it caused me to have horrible stretch marks that are wide and to this day I have no feeling inside of them. Second pregnancy was a 9.5lb baby and 3rd pregnancy, I was about 35lbs overweight and then gained 35 more pounds, he was 7lbs.14oz.

I literally thought if I don't loose the weight than no one will know I have all of this ugly saggy skin. Talk about total deflection.
    A tummy tuck is not something I am against, having 2 kids in college for the next 4 years is the issue.
    I'm loosing the weight so terribly slow, so I'm concentrating on just reaching my goal and the 'icky' skin,if there is any, will be the bonus factor.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've also been concerned about sagging skin. I have 6 kids, and my last pregnancy was twins. I only gained 42 lbs with them (the least weight gain of all my pregnancies!!) and they weighed 7 1/2 lbs each -- very healthy babies!! Anyway, amazingly, I didn't have a lot of stretch marks after all that. I don't know if keeping my belly lubed up with coconut oil and vitamin E helped, but maybe that's why. But now, I weigh about 35 lbs more than I did when I delivered the twins, and I've been this heavy for several years. So, my concern is that my skin has now been stretched out for so long, will it go back to normal after I lose this 95 lbs. I am also 49 yrs old, so not a young chick anymore. LOL!! I am keeping my belly lubed, just like when I was pregnant, and hoping that losing the weight slowly will help it tone up.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and wisdom about this sensitive issue. And to the OP, you look great and best wishes to you as you continue on this journey.

Karen
  • delgadodelgado1120
    delgadodelgado1120 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 150 pounds in about eighteen months, with the last 110 in less than a year. My biggest problem now is the sagging skin. When I started losing weight and working out I only focused on cardio, not strength. So now I am kicking butt and paying the price..literally thousands of dollars on trainers to help me get rid of it. I don't want to do a tummy tuck because I want to do this the natural way. I am proud of my progress, but I would like to show it off. I have been wearing gurdles and compression garments and they really work. The skin on my arms has shrank enormously. Water is good and helps. I am also taking collagen supplements and rubbing Vitamin E oil on my stomach before the gurdle. These are little things that seem to be working for me. I am happy to read some of these posts because everywhere u go everyone says surgery..as if it were the cure-all. I am against voluntary surgery bc it just seems like an unnecessary risk. I think we got into this mess, we can get out of it. Good luck to all!!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Fantastic! hope it healed well and you love your new tummy! :) I have a mummy / heavy all my adult life 'pouch'.

Really great to hear that there is hope though also for us financially challenged tummy haters! lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!