Help!!! I have a desk job!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great motivation and suggestions! Thank you all for responding!! I love the tip about the pedometer- I am going to do that for sure! My schedule isn't all that flexible since I have so many deadlines but I do try to take min breaks when I can. I have an hour for lunch and there is a park right next to my office complex but to be honest, I live in the south and right now it's 100+ degrees daily and I just don't want to sweat my *kitten* off at lunch. I know it's an excuse, but I work in a professional office and can't go back stinky and gross and we don't have showers here. :(

I agree! I can't go and get all sweaty and gross at lunch, and then just come back. So, I work out before/after work. To me, it's not an excuse; it's legit to not want to "funk" up the office, lol!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day too but I have switched to the stability ball. I have a great time with it too. I turn on my music and bounce and dance. I get made fun of but I have turned two or three people on to bringing in their balls too!

I also take 2, 20 minute walks a day with a co-worker. We both brought in our tennis shoes and do one on the morning and one in the afternoon. I also wear a pedometer and put in at least 10,000 steps a day.

Find someone else in your office that is also looking to lose some weight and keep each other accountable for your diet/fitness. We live in FLA so most of us are worried about our weight so we are constantly doing contests and encouraging each other to stay active. We all pass around our dumbbells to complete the mini challenges that are posted under fitness.

Every little bit does help. Just enlist some fitness pals in the office or a friend that you can email encouraging words with. GOOD LUCK!
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic ideas! I have a desk job too but we are redoing our office and getting the adjustable consoles so we can stand or sit. I am so excited!!
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nadine you can get one - it's bad for your legs - blood clots.
    I am thinking of going myself - i have a habit of tucking my legs under the chair and pinching off my circulation.

Fidget lots - Like the go see them instead of emailing!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball all day at my desk. When lunch time rolls around, I've gotten into doing this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8Bn0MVJ4M

OP, I like your timer idea! I've just been guzzling insane amount of water so that I have to run up and go to the bathroom every 20 minutes
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I do at my job. Bring some hand weights, I love lifting at my desk, LOL. Also do some dips with your chair and when you go to the bathroom do lunges, squats and jumping jacks. :flowerforyou:

^^this^^ I have a desk job also and I use the bathroom to do lunges and squats as well. If there are no meetings scheduled in the board room I will quickly do 10-12 push ups. I get up and walk around every half hour or hour and since I have an hour lunch break I tak 30 min of it to go for a walk. It helps too that I do circuit training before work so that my day isn't totally sedentary. With the little bits I do in the day it helps to keep my metabolism burning from my morning workout.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I go to the gym before work or over my lunch break if i skip out in the morning. Walk around the office as much as I can
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Getting up and moving around is good for your circulation but sitting in a cubical all day does't keep me from losing weight. Excess food keeps me from losing weight. Don't stress about being at a desk all day. Just do stuff outside of work to stay healthy and you'll be fine. I do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning before I go work and hit the weights 3-4 times a week. Of course I work hard at eating well too because that's more important than anything.

I've been at a desk for years and years and it doesn't stop me from being in shape. When I find myself getting out of shape it's from slacking on eating discipline and skipping the gym. My job has little to do with what kind of shape I'm in. Actually I sort of like having a desk. I always bring a lunch (#1 tip. Don't go out to eat with the herd, or you'll look like a cow) and having my food right there lets me graze on it during the day at my whim and helps avoid the break room donut syndrome.

Don't stress or let some "research" of your typical desk worker make you think that it's harmful for you. It's habits of a desk job, not the desk itself that gets you into trouble.

Love the quote!!..... (#1 tip. Don't go out to eat with the herd, or you'll look like a cow) :laugh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Getting up and moving around is good for your circulation but sitting in a cubical all day does't keep me from losing weight. Excess food keeps me from losing weight. Don't stress about being at a desk all day. Just do stuff outside of work to stay healthy and you'll be fine. I do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning before I go work and hit the weights 3-4 times a week. Of course I work hard at eating well too because that's more important than anything.

I've been at a desk for years and years and it doesn't stop me from being in shape. When I find myself getting out of shape it's from slacking on eating discipline and skipping the gym. My job has little to do with what kind of shape I'm in. Actually I sort of like having a desk. I always bring a lunch (#1 tip. Don't go out to eat with the herd, or you'll look like a cow) and having my food right there lets me graze on it during the day at my whim and helps avoid the break room donut syndrome.

Don't stress or let some "research" of your typical desk worker make you think that it's harmful for you. It's habits of a desk job, not the desk itself that gets you into trouble.

LOL great post!!!! And I have to agree with 'Don't stress or let some "research" of your typical desk worker make you think that it's harmful for you'. I would think that it would apply more to people who lead a completely sedentary life not people who are active and workout on a regular basis. Many many people have desk jobs and are very fit....they're making sure they get their workouts in at home or the gym!!
  • noelledell
    Options
    I do have my own office, so that's a plus for sure! I think my main issue is just MAKING myself get up and do something. I get so consumed my my deadlines ect that I can go 4 hours without moving sometimes and not even notice it. It's gotten a little better since I installed the workrave on my computer- It goes off every 30 min.
  • noelledell
    Options
    LOVE this idea!!! Thanks!!!
  • noelledell
    Options
    LOL! Thanks for the support!!