CLEAN EATING NACHOS RECIPE

teridene
teridene Posts: 71 Member
Hi there! I developed a recipe for nachos that are considered "clean eating" and are low fat, low carb, and delicious. Makes a big plate full too. So I thought I would share. These are so good my kids and husband have me making them for them to eat too! I make them a couple of times a week. And I am a diabetic and these do not even raise my blood sugar. Bonus!

Clean Eating Nachos- This recipe is for 1 serving

2 Josephs pita bread, small - look for this brand as they are low in carbs!
1/2 cup fat free refried black beans (I buy Kuners-with lime juice)
1/4 cup reduced fat cheese of your liking
sliced jalapenos
1 tablespoon taco sauce - Taco bell is a good brand

Heat oven to 350 degrees- from starting to eating takes me 20 minutes

Take a scissor or knife and cut pita bread into 4 triangle slices. Pull each pita triangle apart at fold to make two pita triangles. Two pitas will make 16 pita chips. Place each triangle on baking pan and place in oven for 8 minutes. While they are becoming crispy in oven mix taco sauce into refried beans and measure out your cheese. When pitas come out of oven you now have a pan full of crispy pita chips! (These alone are good dipped in salsa) Ok, take each chip and smear refried beans on each chip and place chip back on the baking sheet. There should be plenty of refried beans to cover each chip. Add cheese on top of each -a little sprinkle. I now place one jalapeno slice on top of each chip. Place back in oven until cheese melts. I put it on broil for about 1 minute. Take out of oven and place on plate. It fills one of my big dinner plates full. And its all mine!!!! One serving! You can add some salsa at this point or ff sour cream if you like. I am not a fan of ff sour cream but my kids are. Enjoy!

Nutrition breakdown of 1 serving

315 calories
35 g carbs
13 g fat
25 g protein

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    mmm I love nachos! Those sound delicious and I bet my fat loving husband would even love 'em!
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Sounds easy & delicious....I will be giving this a try...thanks for sharing!
  • beckybubbles
    beckybubbles Posts: 36 Member
    great share!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    yummy .....ty for sharing
  • Just one jalapeno? :wink:

This sounds right up my alley. I am a huge black bean fan and love jalapenos. Tomorrow I am searching out that pita bread. Thanks for the recipe.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    LOL! Well you can use as many jalepenos as you like! But I was able to find those pitas even at a Walmart in a very small town in Minnesota. They are very low carb (8 carbs for a large wrap) and they taste great. Look in the deli, they are never with the regular pitas or wraps! Thanks for trying them. They are so good.
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    bump
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I tried your recipe and it's soooo good! Thanks for sharing this! I would never have thought to use pita chips as nachos!

I modified it a bit, I used 1/2c of fat free beans instead of 1/4 cup, and instead of using taco sauce I mixed in 2 tbsp of black bean and corn salsa (only 20 cals and adds 2g of fiber!).

I was very surprised at how much it made, and I just finished it and I am stuffed! :drinker:

I dipped the nachos in 2 tbsp of fat free sour cream mixed with 2 tbsp light sour cream and also 2 tbsp of salsa. All in all, 24g of fiber...I'll be full for a while! :laugh:

I'll be making this again for sure!