What to bring to work for lunches

Options
13»

Replies

• ann162
    ann162 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My lunches for work are pretty much the same thing just try not to take the same thing 2 days in a row :)
    Salad sometimes I add shredded cheese or grilled chicken or salmon.
    sandwich made with sandwich thin roll, low sodium turkey or ham, mustard or mayo and low fat american cheese slice
    special K chips
    or left overs :)
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of homemade soups.

I do a big pot on the weekend, portion it out for 5 days and then freeze the rest.

I've eat this almost everyday since January and haven't gotten bored yet. There are countless low, cal, low sodium recipes out there. You can get creative.

I love chilli in the summer. Any time, really.

What's your favorite? I would like to try some healthy soups!

i do a super easy and quick chili--

1 packet reduced sodium McCormick chili seasoning
    1 pound lean ground beef or turkey-- browned
    1 medium sized chopped onion
    1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
    1 can kidney beans

sprinkle with some reduced fat mild cheddar cheese if you like.

super easy and delicious.

i realize its in the middle of summer and all, but i actually have this on the menu for tomorrow night.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I usually just bring a couple of Clif bars to work. I'm super lazy.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also bring my lunch almost every day. Most weeks I bring salads 3 days of the week - I have 3 containers that I use for them and I make all 3 salads at the same time to save on prep time/work.

The off days, or weeks like this where i just didn't feel like buying salad stuff, I do things like sandwiches (this week it's been PB&J on 100% whole wheat sandwich thins), egg salad with crackers (I make egg salad with greek yogurt instead of mayo), leftovers from dinner, or soup or a freezer meal (probably wouldn't solve the sodium issue). I aim for 350-500 cals in my lunch so if I'm not getting there with just a main dish, I add greek yogurt, fruit, crackers or something else to get me to a lunch that I think will keep me full long enough!

Keep in mind that canned beans are very high in sodium--some containing around 1170mg. Keep in mind that rinsing the beans only reduces the sodium by about 41% (Shadix, 2010). I know it's a huge pain to cook them yourself but toss them in a crock pot over night and voila! You've saved substantial amounts of sodium!

Shadix, K. (2010). Reducing sodium in canned beans. Toda'ys Dietician, 12(1), 62. Retrieved from http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011110p62.shtml