Weight train or not?

Options
I probably sound like an idiot, but I'm confused............

I am trying to lose about 15 more pounds. Weight loss is going good so far. I do mostly cardio...walk/jog 4-6 times a week. I also do areobics and I'm starting Zumba again but I am just curious about weight training. I have done it before and gained weight. So should I wait to start it until I am closer to my goal weight or just start now?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't let the 'weight gain' fool you into thinking you are gaining fat. It was likely a transient gain from adapting to the routine. At where you are in your program, I would say that weight training (and that can take many forms) is essential in order to make continued steady progress.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You should do it now. You will probably lose weight slower, but you will lose only fat and look a lot better when you reach your goal weight because you will have kept your muscle. When you're in a deficit, your body will recognize that you are actually using your muscles and it will only take from your fat. If that makes sense.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When the muscles don't get used much at all, the body uses them for extra protein in the day. The body also figures no need to store energy there (which requires lots of water) because your not likely to use it.

When you start lifting, your body will stop using as much of the muscle for a protein source, will start filling the muscle with more blood, nutrients, and water. This makes slight weight gain. But not fat gain.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Weight train! Lift heavy, do compound lifts. You will love the results!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weight Train. Next.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responces. They are very helpful and make sense!! Looks like weight training it is!!!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is the single best form of exercise and the only one that is really critical for body recomposition since fat loss can be accomplished with diet alone. Here is how to get started http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

Oh, and don't think about goal weights or whatever. Have a goal appearance and if you need a number to go by have a goal bodyfat percentage, not weight.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you lift anything heavier than 5 lbs you will gain 10 lbs of bulky muscle overnight! Be careful!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    cardio only will help you lose weight, but it won't change your body composition and not all that weight loss will be fat. Lifting stuff up anz putting em down will help a lot.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You should be weight training already
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Start yesterday and ignore the scale for a while. Take photos, measurements and go by how clothes fit to gauge your progress.

When starting a new exercise routine, it's normal to have a temporary increase on the scale that's just your muscles holding onto water. You're not gaining fat and you're not getting bigger if that happens.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you lift anything heavier than 5 lbs you will gain 10 lbs of bulky muscle overnight! Be careful!!

This is sarcasm! Don't take it seriously! lol

You won't get bulky from weight lifting. As a weight lifter friend of mine once said, "Getting bulky doesn't happen over night, don't flatter yourself." Meaning it takes a lot of work to get bulky! Lots of protein, lifting a lot of weight 3-5 times a week, etc. Using a 5 pound weight to start isn't bad, though I prefer a 8-10 pound weight. 12 reps, 3 sets, to start is good.

The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest!

And track your measurements rather than the number on the scale. Just because the number isn't changing, doesn't mean your body isn't!
  • Carolinagirlo76
    Carolinagirlo76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't think about goal weights or whatever. Have a goal appearance and if you need a number to go by have a goal bodyfat percentage, not weight.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Don't focus on the scale's numbers, focus on something else :0)
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you're new to it, consider picking up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's awesome and has a great training program. I'm 1/2 way through stage 1 and I absolutely love it! The books talks about diet, cardio and strength training in correlation to losing weight (fat). Great information plus it will get you started with a great beginners program. There's also a support group for the book here on MFP.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how 'temporary' the temporary (water etc) weight gain is for newbies? I put on 5# on and it's not budging, when will it start to go down...don't say throw away the scale and measure instead, I'm still 40lbs overweight so it needs to go down...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is the single best form of exercise and the only one that is really critical for body recomposition since fat loss can be accomplished with diet alone. Here is how to get started http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

^^^This absolutely!!!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Weight train? Yes, absolutely yes!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 15 lbs since adding serious weight lifting into my schedule and I look WAY more fit now than when I was doing mostly cardio. Trust me, you don't regret it! As a side note, I tend to gain 2-3 lbs the day after just because I tend to retain water like crazy when I'm building up muscles.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Start weightlifting now. Burn calories while working out and for a long while afterwards, maintain lean body mass, maintain higher metabolism.

Interesting study done on cardio vs weight training while in a calorie deficit. (Not recommending the extreme deficit)
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_for_fat_loss/maintain-muscle-mass-on-800-calories-per-day/