Why are you wanting to lose weight?

Options
It seems that the vast majority of people are here just to lose weight. Hence the overwhelming attitude of calories in vrs

calories out. I have read a lot of diaries and i see a lot of canned, packaged, boxed, and frozen food. Not to mention fast food

which is nutritionally dead. The S. A. D. (Standard American Diet) produces around 150lbs of sugar and 150lbs of sodium

and that is not even the worst of it. This diet also produces a omega 6 to omega 3 unbalance near 40 to 1 It should be 5 to 1

This makes your body a breading ground for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases as well as cancer and cardiovascular

disease. It is also loaded with trans fat, preservatives, additives (chemicals) and food dyes. And WT& is the deal with soda?

So why are you here? To fit in clothes, look hot, or be healthy?

Replies

• curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well, I can only speak for myself here. But...I tend to eat a healthy diet even if I'm overeating. I cook meals from scratch, legumes, whole grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds...but when I throw together these recipes, it is really hard to know how many calories I'm taking in. It is easy to take large helpings, second helpings, etc. and then not lose weight.

I come to this site when I am ready to drop a few pounds by focusing on my caloric intake. And that is a whole lot easier when using some packaged foods, because you can just measure out a single portion and you know exactly how many calories are in it. I still eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, and the packaged foods that I choose are pretty healthy IMO. But if I have an Amy's frozen entree for lunch, I feel super satisfied with a 350 - 450 calorie meal...add some fresh fruit, or carrot sticks on the side for added nutrition and flavor. I feel like that is a healthy way to lose weight even though it wasn't freshly prepared.

So...yeah. I'm not here to learn how to eat healthy. I already do that. I'm here to cut my portions and lose some fat.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had a very helpful and thought out post to state my opinion, but when it comes down to it, each individual person is responsible for their own choices, and accepting the consequences of those choices. I encourage anyone who feels they have a superior lifestyle to promote it in positive ways, without bashing or judging others for their choices.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight so I no longer resemble a blob :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    interesting post from someone who's screen name is stonerdude. LOL!!! okay so i stopped reading somewhere around my body being able to make bread (breading ground). LMAO!

seriously though i want to be healthy, fit into smaller sized clothes, look hot in a 2 piece, run a half marathon, not have my outer thighs touch the arm rests of an airplane seat, not feel the need to turn sideways going through a turnstile and the list goes on and on and on.

i try not to eat fast food, frozen food obviously i don't mean chicken or turkey i just took out of the freezer, my brown rice comes in a package so i guess i do eat packaged food and yes i eat canned food - i am not going to spend 24 hours soaking beans when i can buy them in a can, rinse them and put them in whatever i'm cooking.

so there you have it. stonerdude

for the hell of it i reviewed your diary - ummm.... 12 oz of sky vodka every single day. what benefit does that have for your body?????

yes i am being very *****y - found out my dog has a tumor so i am *****y!
    It seems that the vast majority of people are here just to lose weight. Hence the overwhelming attitude of calories in vrs

calories out. I have read a lot of diaries and i see a lot of canned, packaged, boxed, and frozen food. Not to mention fast food

which is nutritionally dead. The S. A. D. (Standard American Diet) produces around 150lbs of sugar and 150lbs of sodium

and that is not even the worst of it. This diet also produces a omega 6 to omega 3 unbalance near 40 to 1 It should be 5 to 1

This makes your body a breading ground for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases as well as cancer and cardiovascular

disease. It is also loaded with trans fat, preservatives, additives (chemicals) and food dyes. And WT& is the deal with soda?

• Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, frozen vegetables and fruit are frozen at the peak of ripeness. There is nothing wrong with frozen fruit and vegetables.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    Be in better shape then i am now, feel healthier/be able to run a full 5k run/feel better about my appearance overall
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    to be healthy
    to eat healthier

(I seldom each anything prepackaged, preferring home cooked)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

All of the above, though I would venture to guess that my definition of healthy is different that yours, based on the rest of your post.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm here to feel better and actually do the things that I want to do.

When I went skydiving in April, I was barely flexible enough to land properly. Plus seeing myself in the pictures/on video really opened my eyes. After being disappointed about it for a while, I decided it was time to change before I jump again in November.

November will be a better experience! :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I had a very helpful and thought out post to state my opinion, but when it comes down to it, each individual person is responsible for their own choices, and accepting the consequences of those choices. I encourage anyone who feels they have a superior lifestyle to promote it in positive ways, without bashing or judging others for their choices.

This^^^^^^^^

There is too much judgement and arrogance from some people around here. Thank God for the ignore feature. :smokin:
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options

I am here to fit in my clothes, look hot, and be healthy. I would say you cannot always judge people's motives based on their diary. Everyone always says to make changes slowly, one thing at a time. Maybe someone is starting off by just reducing their portions, but have not yet taken the step to change WHAT they eat. Or maybe even though they drink a ton of soda, it is because they are firstly trying to cut our fast food. Everyone here is on a journey, and I don't know that we ever get to the end.

For myself, I try to get lots of the healthy stuff but sometimes life gets in the way and I may have to make a few compromises. Life happens!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    With my marriage in trouble it made me realize I am all that my son has. So, being healthy so I can be there for him is number one. Looking good is just a happy side effect of getting healthy.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'd wager there are a lot more people dying everyday from complications of being overweight then there are dying from food additives. Regardless of the many reasons most of us are here the journey has to be sustainable and giving up my career to live on an organic farm and raise and kill my own food isn't really an option so I'll buy food in a box or take out and mix it in my meal planning because that fits into my busy life.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    Slow down! I am not here to judge, just state facts. Most of you are younger than me, but I talk to seniors all day long and this country is very unhealthy! Diseases and disorder run rampant and it all comes back to what you eat! Check out, Food Matters!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I want to be healthier, more athletic, and (of course) to look better.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    what you say may most likely be true but some of us have to "learn" how to migrate from poor eating habits to "better". I'm here because i desire to lose weight and because I want to glean from others, who have been my weight, who have been sucessful AND as a result, lose weight myself. It's great if you've "already arrived", but some of us haven't.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    To feel comfortable in my body again, and to fit into my old clothes...
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    To be bad *kitten* :)
  • pfwright1
    pfwright1 Posts: 31
    Options
    I am overweight and went for my annual employer health risk assessment. I was over (barely) the 30 BMI to keep my insurance from going up. Then I decided that my eating habits were not healthy and I wanted to change b/c I knew I was not eating the way I should. Now I have lost 10 #, clothes are too big, I am more aware of what are in the foods that I was eating, & little more energy. Overall, a whole change in my thoughts about my life. This has been an eye opening experience.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I want to be comfortable in my own body again.