Looking into hiring a Personal Trainer....

Options
sbernardy
sbernardy Posts: 188
What qualities do I look for in a trainer.. I have never hired one before.. So I'm a Newbie at this....How did he/she help you in your journey? How much do Personal Trainers run in your area?

Replies

• sbernardy
    Options
    anyone....
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You probably want one that is certified nationally not just locally. You can get your certificate by and be locally certified. They hold boot camps for them to be certified nationally. And I here they learn a lot from the camps. Also some gyms pay trainers to be on hand so you could try finding those gyms. Other gyms have trainers there that you can pay to give you one on one separately.
  • themichaelf
    Options
    i would suggest going to your closest national gym (24hr, LA Fitness, Ballys) and inquiring about their training services. this is going to be your best bang for your buck. they will go over your numbers, teach you some good excercises and proper way of doing things. they will also help motivate you to come and to work hard during your workout. beyond that, i wouldn't use them past a few weeks once you get a good handle on the excercises you are doing. i don't think they really provide much value after a few weeks.

just my opinion... good luck!
  • sbernardy
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm in training to become a CPT atm, so just looking at peoples opinions :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    After finding out that of the $60-80/hour that the gym charges for personal training, the trainers only get $12/hour (found this out from a former trainer at the gym that now only teaches classes.) I asked one of the class instructors (after class, away from gym property) if she knew anybody that she would recommend as a personal trainer as I would rather the trainer get all of the money they are working so hard for and she recommended someone.

So I would suggest asking around
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Decide what you want, first - do you want someone to work out with you, yell at you, and kick your *kitten*, or do you want to someone to design a program for you, that you can do independently? Or are you hoping for something entirely different?

Once you've got that figured out, try to find someone who will work with you, based on why.

Good luck!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I always laugh to myself when i see this one Personal Trainer in my gym.
    She is not small/toned by any means.
    But anyways I would go based on their body, if they have an amazing body then they know what works.
    Also by how many years they have done it.
    I would also try to find a personal trainer that does stuff differently. Such as kick boxing, boxing.
    There is this one trainer at my gym and she is pretty and toned and she does kick boxing and i would love to have her as a personal trainer but so expensive and i don't have spare money for it.