a gallon of water a day

Options
My workouts have been sluggish lately and I can't seem to drink enough water comfortably right before a run to sustain me 45 mins in the summer heat. I decided to hydrate throughout the day and that turned into trying to drink at least a gallon a day.

How much do you drink? Pros/cons etc?

Replies

• jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    probably around 3L or more.

pros: hydration
    cons: none
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    There's just no way to prehydrate enough to go through 45 minutes run in the summer heat, I think. For endurance events, the recommendation is to drink every 10 minutes at the very least. Get an hydration belt and carry some water to go through this, AND drink a lot before and after the run. Should make your life much easier during the run...
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I drink about a gallon most days today wasn't as much and i feel off. so i'm all about water! :drinker:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT every day too. Probably at least 4L. Not sure exactly. I don't keep track.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I easily drink that amount every day (had to do some quick math to figure out how many of my water bottles make up a gallon), often more. And I remember when I was a teenager and my mom wanted me to drink more water (rather than soda or coffee or any such things) that she'd hand me a gallon jug of water and give me some reward for finishing it over the course of the day. She did/does drink the same amount as well, so it wasn't just an arbitrary guess.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    average of 18 glasses a day. Don't know how much it is in liters or gallons. Pros???? Maybe less water retention and fights again sodium???
    cons: i pee a lot
  • GoalSixPack
    Options
    I drink around 240oz -- 30 cups a day. I have a 64oz water jug I fill a few times a day. In fact I just woke up in the middle of the night and had my 64oz before returning to bed.

Pros
    It's free
    Helps fills me up and makes me less hungry

Cons
    Pee alot at first but once you get use to it, it's not that bad
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    There's just no way to prehydrate enough to go through 45 minutes run in the summer heat, I think. For endurance events, the recommendation is to drink every 10 minutes at the very least. Get an hydration belt and carry some water to go through this, AND drink a lot before and after the run. Should make your life much easier during the run...

I've read up that the best thing you can do is drink 1L before a run, then drink 1L every hour in "normal" weather, and 1.5L every hour if it's really hot out. You can drink more or less, depending on how much you sweat.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The only con of drinking a lot of water would be a visit to the bathroom more often.

Excuse my ignorance to conversions (never was good with them) but I drink around 30 or so servings of 8oz of water. Most of it is because I'm on medication that dries out my mouth.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm weaning now, but while I was pumping milk for my baby (60+ ounces a day) I was supposed to be drinking a gallon a day. Because half of it was going to breastmilk, I wasn't having to pee super frequently or anything. Now I'm drinking 64-96 ounces a day. I live in the mountain outside of Albuquerque. It's high desert, so it's arid and decently hot right now. If I don't drink that much, I suffer.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    about 4-5 litres a day (JUST water from my water bottle, not counting water-like bevvy's).
    Pros- I feel great and never feel the 'fake hungry'
    Cons- I pee a lot :P
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day... somewhere between 2-4 liters a day.

Pros: Gettin alla dat nasty sodium & shizzz outta my system
    Cons: Peeing all the damn time like a race horse.

Still gonna drink up though! :drinker:
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I drink between 5-8L a day.

Pros: I feel great, less hungry, less bloated etc.
    Cons: I'm pretty sure I pee every 20 minutes!
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Besides peeing a lot, one con I'm trying to avoid is that sloshing feeling when running with a stomach full of water. I drank a gallon throughout the day today and my run was noticeably better - but it could be partly due to the break in the humidity today.
  • 19nicole89
    19nicole89 Posts: 10
    Options
    everybody is different. i could drink hot tea and water all day long over eatting. i'm more a drinker than an eater though.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    There are more cons than just peeing too much. Too much water can be harmful to you know.
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options
    I am at about a gallon and a half a day right now.

The excessive peeing hasn't eased up for me yet. Keep waiting for that to happen! lol
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    probably around 3L or more.

pros: hydration
    cons: none

Exactly right
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    There are more cons than just peeing too much. Too much water can be harmful to you know.

tracy-morgan-hell-no-o.gif