P90X or Insanity?

Options
I'm a couple weeks from finish JM RI30 and I am ready to step things up to the next level. I have seen/heard great things about these workouts. What one do you guys like better? What one should I start with?

Replies

• LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would do p90x first...insanity is a very challenging workout. I did p90x first, then insanity, thought it was going to be a walk in the park, and i was dead wrong! i did get great results from insanity though! good luck!
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I liked insanity simply because i didn't need any weights, it was just me and my tennis shoes :)

as posted above it was/is a hard workout. I still do it on ocassion, but switched to a different workout schedule for now.
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I've done both and by far even tho it is hard I like Insanity better.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I went with Insanity because there was no equipment required and I just liked the look of the program, I guess.

It is DAMN hard. But I can feel it working and I love that feeling.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're comparing two completely different types of workouts with two completely different endgame goals says you haven't done enough research to be stepping up to that level yet. Decide what you want to do with your body. Go with the best program for that.

FWIW Insanity has been heavily scrutinized by the American Council on Exercise for being extremely unsafe and that Shaun T has no idea what he's talking about, demonstrating improper form, etc.... They praise P90X though. I'd go with P90X for safety reasons alone.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side/ There you go. This was not done by a private organization but the American Council on exercise. You'll notice they have high praise for Rushfit and P90X but tear Insanity apart at every turn, and with good reason.
  • Mako4761
    Mako4761 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with them.... I've done both and liked Insanity better. No equipment needed. Its very challenging but I liked that I could just go as fast and as hard as possible for me. It didn't matter if I kept up with the people on the video.... I just kept moving.
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I recommend P90X. I think it can prepare you for Insanity.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing P90x. I like it, although, I don't buy into the need for recovery drinks and their additional products. I get by with some simple hand weights and a fitness band (which came with our Wii Game - NFL Training Camp).

I started at the end of June and have lost a few pounds, but lost more in inches so far. Also, my right knee is sensitive to high impact, and they make it easy to modify to reduce chance of injury.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My first thoughts, not even comparable. I'm doing Insanity right now and it's Insane but I'm loving it!
    if you want high Cardio than Insanity is the way to go.

Hubs and I will be doing P90X after.
  • RedMan33
    RedMan33 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with contingencypl. You have two completely different workout routines. The first question is "What you are wanting to do with your body?" I personally think P90X is a better full body workout. I got amazing results from it. However, you have to have the equipment to do P90X right. If you aren't wanting to strength train then go with Insanity. It's as "simple" (not much simple about the workouts) as sweating away the pounds.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    That's really it. You can't compare a primarily cardio plan to a plan that revolves mainly around heavy weightlifting. If you're not sure about which one you should do, then you're also not even sure about what you want, what your goal is, or anything. And that is something you need to do before you decide. You need to ask yourself. Do I want the results I can only get from heavy weight training? Or do I want the results I can only get from high intensity, high-impact aerobic style cardio?
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Do P90X and get your HIIT cardio for free from BodyRock.tv.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're comparing two completely different types of workouts with two completely different endgame goals says you haven't done enough research to be stepping up to that level yet.

Never compared them. I asked what ones people liked best and what would be a good one to start with.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you can save your money and build yourself your own workout routine with sites like bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com and cardio vids on youtube. I'm not a fan of spending the money on these packaged workout routines.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There have been way too many complaints of knee pain from Insanity users both here and even on the beachbody forums. If you do it, I'd make sure to do the lowest impact version of the exercises. Two people that I know personally have sore knees from doing it. One of them did lose a lot of fat, though.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ive done both. Spent 9 months with p90x, and just finished the Insanity program. I am now doing a hybrid of the two.
    My thoughts: If you're just now stepping it up, I'd start with p90x. Yes, it requires more equipment, but there are easier ways to modify moves and Tony isn't as intense (but I didnt realize this til AFTER I did Insanity). But it can get you ready for a program like Insanity. People ask me about Insanity and I always say "I dont see how you can succeed if you're not already used to doing heavy cardio". Shaun T is intense and it goes quick...leaving very little time to modify moves.
    I dont prefer either one over the other since they are very different. P90x incorporates a lot more weight training, while Insanity is mostly cardio based. You'll get killer quads and abs from Insanity, but that's about it unless you work in weight training with the program. I feel like P90x is better at shaping the *whole* body. And I will say....Insanity IS hard on your body. Its just A LOT of high impact, and if you're prone to injury, I wouldnt do it. But if you think your body can take it, it will give you great cardio conditioning.
    Like others said, decide what you want for your body. Im doing the hybrid to get the best of both work out programs. Good luck with your decision! Which ever you choose, both are good programs.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you can save your money and build yourself your own workout routine with sites like bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com and cardio vids on youtube. I'm not a fan of spending the money on these packaged workout routines.

Thanks. I'll take a look at these sites.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As some have said already they are very different programs and it certainly depends on what your goals are. I personally would never just do Insanity because I love weight lifting so I do P90X and do my own cardio on the side. I love the feeling up upping my weights and or doing more reps for pull ups and push ups not to mention getting compliments on my arms doesn't hurt :wink:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    The fact that you're comparing two completely different types of workouts with two completely different endgame goals says you haven't done enough research to be stepping up to that level yet.

Never compared them. I asked what ones people liked best and what would be a good one to start with.

Again, depends on your goals. You can't just start "working out" without first deciding what you want for your body. Jumping right in knowing absolutely nothing is a recipe for disaster. I ask again, do you want the type of body you need weight training to get? Or do you want the type you get through high impact cardio?

Also, you are comparing them. "P90X or Insanity?" the word "or" implies comparison.