Braces for running

Options
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on wearing an ankle brace while running.

I've sprained my right ankle 3 times. The first time was about 10 years ago and was a Grade 2 - but very close to a Grade 3 sprain. He said the ligiment was barely hanging...I had quite a bit of nerve damage...didn't feel a thing as a matter of fact. The other 2 sprains were both last year as I started to increase my workouts. They were both very minor sprains. They did an x-ray on the 2nd sprain and mentioned that I had a lot of calcium deposits from the inital sprain.

So, I wear a brace now. I asked my general practitioner her opinion on wearing it and she thinks I should always wear it forever. It doesn't really bother me - it's a thin, athletic sock brace. However, I've heard from some runners recently that I could be modifying my gait and causing other damage.

What do you all think? After some reading, I can't really find a consensus and it seems that there really isn't anything I can do to improve the ankle. Also, I DO tend to roll that ankle a lot...just walking around it tends to be unstable.

Thanks.

Replies

• Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump. ***crickets chirping***
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I think that dr's don't know everything. If you want to get the real lowdown on running issues go see a runner. Many city's have running stores, I'm not talking foot locker, but stores specifically for runners. Mine here where I live is Fleet Feet. All the employess are runner and some are running trainers. They may have a better support, or may place you on a treadmill to evaluate your gate and find shoes that will specifically help with your issues. Or both. Good luck!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist, especially if you can find one who runs. My podiatrist prescribed orthotics for me for wearing, which have stabilized my foot and ankle a ton. It might be something worth looking into.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! A running store employee is one of the ones who recommend I don't wear a brace...but they didn't have a treadmill or anything.

I didn't think of a podiatrist! Duh! Thanks!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sports medicine podiatrist. Running store guys are often pretty smart on these sorts of things, and a GP could easily be wrong on a specific running issue, but a sports medicine foot guy is going to be your hands down best opinion. Personally I don't see an elastic brace causing much gait change, but my opinion is no more informed than any other non-expert.